New toy : Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator

Don Marco

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Howdy...

Got a new toy to play with. Pro-Q came up with a very smart cold smoke generator that can be used with regular smoking/saw dust.

Cold-Smoke-Generator_lg.jpg

http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/CSG.html

Its a very well made unit of ~6 x 6 inches.
You put the sawdust in the unit, scrape it evenly across it and then light it with a small candle. After 30-60 seconds you can remove the candle and then the dust will smolder for up to ten hours, according to pro-Q.

57_pp_002_Small_14.jpg

57_pp_003_Small_13.jpg

57_pp_004_Small_9.jpg

57_pp_005_Small_13.jpg

57_pp_007_Small_10.jpg

57_pp_012_Small_10.jpg

I used the Oak wood that came with the unit for smoking some cheese. After lighting it i put the CSG into my medium egg. Put a bowl of ice on top of the grate cause its a hot august day over here and i want to keep the temperature down. The CSG produces very very little heat, so its not neccessary to use ice in the colder month.
I smoked some irish cheddar for now, but i cant wait to try and smoke ham and sausages in the autumn.

57_pp_014_Small_11.jpg

57_pp_015_Small_8.jpg

After two hours i took the cheese off the egg and couldnt resist to try it, wich ended up in eating 1/4 of that chunk... Wow thats good stuff
smi5.gif

The egg was filled with smoke and the CSG burned along good without the fire jumping over to another row or stopping at all.
I´m sure theres at least another 8 hours of smoke with the remaining dust.

57_pp_018_Small_9.jpg

57_pp_019_Small_11.jpg

57_pp_020_Small_6.jpg

57_pp_021_Small_9.jpg

This is a nice little and inexpensive toy that make cold smoking very easy.
Cant wait to try out more. Who would have thought i´d ever wish autumn would come sooner.
eusa_doh.gif

I´ll let you know about the total burn time tomorrow.

DM

The CSG smoked all night long and ran out of fuel after producing steady clean and cold smoke for 10 hours. Wow ! Ham, Bacon and Sausage, here i come !

I´m sure Pro-Q will come up with a stacker for 20 hours smoke soon
icon_mrgreen.gif

57_pp_022_Small_5.jpg

57_pp_023_Small_12.jpg

DM

Very nice DM !!
When you say cold smoke, how cold is cold ?? Were you able to get any temp readings from the guage on your egg?
I do a country sausage that needs to smoke/cook at 150 for about 10 hrs and this sound like it would work beautifully.

Thanks
Joe

Very nice DM !!
When you say cold smoke, how cold is cold ?? Were you able to get any temp readings from the guage on your egg?
I do a country sausage that needs to smoke/cook at 150 for about 10 hrs and this sound like it would work beautifully.

The CSG doesnt produce any noticeable ammount of heat. I used the ice cubes because it was a hot day and the egg was at 85 F on its own.

Smoking for 10 hours would be no problem with the CSG, but youll need something to keep the temperature at 150 F.
A friend of mine once used a lightbulb for that in his small smoker.

DM

Maybe a dumb question but could you use it in an UDS?

I dont see why not. Any closed grill or smoker should do just fine as long as its not too big. I think any backyard grill like kettles, ceramics, UDS, WSM; Bandera or char grillers should work.

DM

I dont see why not. Any closed grill or smoker should do just fine as long as its not too big. I think any backyard grill like kettles, ceramics, UDS, WSM; Bandera or char grillers should work.

DM

Thanx for the feedback and post.
Showed this to some guys over here and everyone is eager to have one of those.
Great find!

You can pre order for September delivery.
Price £24.99 plus £3.49 postage = £28.48

Hey, robert earl, what's those funny things in front of the numbers. can u translate that to US deniro? :)

I'll be testing mine out this weekend. I'm looking forward to some smoked cheese too!

Back