MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
mbshop
Babbling Farker

Default finding a drum

whats the best source or manufacturer/business to find a drum? i've been calling (you want a what?), asked a few folks to look for me (riiiight), put out ads(forgetaboutit) and generally talked my way to fustration. i mean why is it so hard?? any help/suggestions would be appreciated. i'm also in a wheel chair so maybe some suggestions to some mods that might help ?
thanks,

Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Smokin' Shawn
Knows what a fatty is.

George,
I just picked up one yesterday from a jam and jelly company. I just called around and asked if they have any 55 gal. drums for sale. There is another place a few downs over. It's a little Debbie snack cake factory. The drums are $3 each there, but it is hit or miss if they will have one when you want it.

You might also look at a tractor supply or farm store. Sometimes you can get them to make a drum fireplace.

Good luck.

Smokin' Shawn
Smokin' Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Look in the yellow pages under barrels or drums. I would imagine a supplier is listed. If that fails, call some food processors such as potatoe chip manufacturers, or maybe Pegler Sysco.

As far as being wheel chair accessible...I suggest digging a hole next to the patio or driveway about 30 inches in diameter and 18 or so inches deep. Then get a piece of 30 inch diameter corregated steel "culvert" pipe (like they put under driveways to move storm water) to put in the pit. Backfill around the culvert with gravel. Drop the barrel in the pit and use upright air intakes. The drum would then be easy to tend "from above". Better fill the bottom of the hole with gravel too for drainage.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Smokin' Shawn
Knows what a fatty is.

I forgot to mention. If you can't find one, I'll get you one for the $8.48 for cost of drum and whatever it cost to ship from 72712 to your home address. I think my drum weights around 33lbs empty. I saw a sticker leftover on the drum just today with the dead weight. The other weight was 433lbs full. I'm guessing 400 lbs of strawberrys.
Smokin' Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Not sure where Visalia is, but if you PM Norcoredneck, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

I can bring you one if you want to meet at the Modesto cookoff. Let me know, NUTZ.
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
mbshop
Babbling Farker

wow, thanks for the info, ideas and offers. i'll check things out and mull it over. i like the sinking the drum idea!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
wow, thanks for the info, ideas and offers. i'll check things out and mull it over. i like the sinking the drum idea!
Yeah, always step back and say how can this be done some way else (i.e backward or inside out or easier). My Dad is in a chair and and my wife was, so we became pretty good at thinking outside box. Kinda fun actually.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

All the food processors in my area thought I was nuts. They all said "we have companies that do that for us." So I started searching another route. Look for livestock feed suppliers. I did buy a few new ones for $40 each, but found some at a feed dealer for $10, and saw an ad in the paper for used drums for $10 each that had floor dry in them. Just keep on searching.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I have found a couple of places in this area for used drums, but they have all been used for chemicals or oil. I'm a bit concerned about using drums that weren't used for food products. How do you guys feel? Right now I can get drums that were used for either motor oil, solvent or racing fuel. Would you use them?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not absolutely certain, just something I heard a while back. What I was told was that drums are made from cold rolled steel. It is a nonporous material. So technically nothing could be absorbed. That being said, I go through hydraulic oil like crazy at work, and I didn't use those drums. I can't find a definative answer that makes me feel comfortable enough to use one. I know plenty of people that do though. I have scrapped tons of old air compressor tanks for the same reason. Just not sure about all the crud left in them.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
Wyatt
Full Fledged Farker

What's your job? If it's a construction worker, your mates will give you one.
[B]Pit Master: Team Boy-B-Que[/B]
[I][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Grandpa's Griller[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]1 new UDS (Big Tex)[/FONT][/I]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][I]ECB (Smokin' Fox)[/I] Soon to be Modified.[/FONT]
Also is only a 13 year old:bow:
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

Has anyone ever looked into or used a drum that held concrete curing compound? It is water soluable (sp?) so it should clean up pretty well. The MSDS sheet says may cause minor skin/eye irritation but looks a lot better than some I've seen. If OK, concrete contractors go through them like crazy.

Just a thought.

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #14
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I have found a couple of places in this area for used drums, but they have all been used for chemicals or oil. I'm a bit concerned about using drums that weren't used for food products. How do you guys feel? Right now I can get drums that were used for either motor oil, solvent or racing fuel. Would you use them?
I don't think it would matter if they were scrubbed down good and burned once or twice. I have free drums at my work that held a concentrated, mineral oil based machine coolant. Many local brethern have already made UDS's from them with good success. I think that any oil residues get burned up in the fire, especially if it gets burned twice with a scrubbing in between burns.

BTW George I wish we were a bit closer man, I'd hook you up with as many as you want. We have to cut up and toss these drums all the time.
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
mbshop
Babbling Farker

hb-bbq, maybe if i have no luck we can figure something out. my son lives in huntington and comes up once in awhile. he has a karate dojo there. i'll take you up on it if all else fails. thanks for the offer !