MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:41 AM   #1
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Reds, Whites, and BBQ Festival

Stopped by a local winery yesterday and plopped down the $50 entry fee for their BBQ comp to be held on July 2nd. Grand prize is a $2800 Kitchen Aid gas grill and 1st prize is $500. The competition is acually a sauce comp and you must use one of the winery's products in your sauce. The only meat to be prepared are ribs, bb's or spares, cooks choice. Looks like it will be kind of fun. To check out all the details go to: www.roundbarnwinery.com/bbq_festival06.php
Last years winner boiled his ribs before finishing them up on a gas grill!!!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.

Last edited by Neil; 05-09-2006 at 09:06 PM..
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2006, 07:31 AM   #2
Neil

Being this is a sauce competition with 25% of the judging being done by the public and @25% ea. from three judges: the winery owner, a chef from Chicago, and a local restaraunt owner; what type of sauce would you make knowing you must use one of the winery's products as an ingredient? A traditional tomato base bbq sauce or something more artsy-fartsy gourmet type? This is an event that is more likely to draw the Chicago toursist/ wealthy summer resident crowd than the locals.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like maybe artsy-fartsy to me, Neil. I don't know many of those kinda folks in your area. So if it's drawing out of Chicago and the wealthy summer residents, I might be inclined to go more gourmet.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
Neil

That is kind of what I was thinking, maybe a chablis base with apricot vinigar and puree'd smoked peaches with vidalia onions. How's that for tooty fruity foo foo bbq? Stop by the Watkins dealer for some mango extract to throw for good measure. This is going to be interesting.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

now see if I was at the table, I'd be asking you how much beer did you spill into this sauce to cut that nasty wine taste. But im not high faluting enuf to be asked!

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote