• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sandbaggers......

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I know a cook that as soon as turn ins are done he has nothing good to say about anything they cooked. Well invariably, this guy walks almost every time in all categories.

Anybody else see this a lot?

I know a cook that as soon as turn ins are done he has nothing good to say about anything they cooked. Well invariably, this guy walks almost every time in all categories.

Anybody else see this a lot?

I can recall so bays saying rib were really crooked and placing. :rolleyes:

I can honestly tell you that at my last KCBS comp in Nevada, Iowa I WAS that person. To me my chicken was overcooked, ribs were mushy, pork overcooked but maybe with luck it would firm up and my brisket was absolutely horrible, I have seen dog food that looked better. Everybody came by asking how it was and I said those exact things. I said no chance of a call, but if we got lucky in pork my wife would go up because I sure didnt deserve anything. I said this type of stuff many times to anyone and everyone. Long story short we got 9th place calls in chicken,ribs and pork and a 2nd:shock: in brisket. So my first 4 call contest(the 9th places hurt us in overall though).

I would guess I must have been called a sandbagger or worse at least a dozen times after awards.

No one is ever completely happy with their cook, at least anyone I hang with. I've been that guy before. So have a lot of my friends and other cooks. I dont think they are sand baggers, some days you get lucky when you dont think your product deserved it. We actually had a few people get mad at us for saying we weren't happy with our product and finishing well. So now when they ask how our cook went we tell the 4 -180's and GC, No one else has a chance. hahah

I do it every single entry, its a superstition thing I guess. If you think (or at least say) that it is good then I wont get a call, right???. I am well aware that there is zero logic in that.

:loco:

been there, definitely said that, and got the call too. I don't think it's sandbagging, more like just second guessing every single thing you did from the weekend.

I am very critical of what I've turned in. Even when we GC I still get critical about what could have been better. You also have to look at your scores with an open mind, unless its judge #2, table 7 at the Springfield, Ky. contest. That person needs to go back to judging school or find another hobby.

It's quite common for a cook to call Alpo on his food and then get a call, so much so now I've got teams that say they cook crap just for the good mo-jo.
Ed

2 of our brisket calls I thought for sure were awful, and there was no way we were going to get a call. Ended up getting 3rds both times, both times beating way better brisket cooks than me.

When I competed, I was always the most critical Judge in the house. 8)

Not sandbagging at all, just "picky" and "realistic" about the quality.

TIM

"The harder they cry, the higher they place."

There's one guy that we always burst into theatrical sobs whenever we see him, because he's always boo-hooing about his food or the terrible mishaps that befell him during the cook.

I get being realistic about your product, but the most I want to say anymore is either "the [meat name here] just didn't have it today" or "we gave ourselves a chance" because damn, it seems either way I'll be proven wrong!

I think I know when I put good product in box so if its good I will say it. But you will always have the box where you wonder WTF were they thinking either good or bad.

Says the guy that told everyone this past weekend that asked that he cooked the best brisket of his life and got 44th out of 50 teams. :shock:

I think I know when I put good product in box so if its good I will say it. But you will always have the box where you wonder WTF were they thinking either good or bad.

Says the guy that told everyone this past weekend that asked that he cooked the best brisket of his life and got 44th out of 50 teams. :shock:

ha!.. I hear ya!!.. I cooked a so-so brisket as was 43rd, and the best brisket I've ever tasted was 41st!!... I don't think judges know a good brisket if it hit them in the face.

I cooked a very good brisket hit a table with good cooks and they hated all of us. was looking down the snoot at a gc finished 6th..Steve a nice man got a 180.

I am super critical and so usually when someone asks me I am sort of pessimistic. other cooks I know always love everything that comes off their cooker

We overcooked our brisket in Green Lane this year and got first with it. I'm pretty sure there must have been judges that write 4s that look like 9s to the reps. We have great stuff get shot down, so I no longer try to guess.

I hear what you are all saying, and I agree. I too am very critical of my turn ins, as well as anything I cook.

However I'm referring more to the guy who always walks but also always low rates his turn ins. Maybe he's just superstitious.

Back