MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
wonderbread
Found some matches.

Default Turkey Drippings?

Sorry to discuss Thanksgiving so early, but it will be my first time doing the bird on the Kamado. I'm thinking about the gravy and wondering what the best way is to collect drippings? Can I put a pan on the deflector plate? Any suggestions are much appreciated...thanks!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use a regular roasting pan and build a rack for the Buzzard out of carrots celery & onion and a cup of white wine sage, leaves and a sprig of thyme it makes a good aus jus for your gravy base.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Spatchcock in a roasting pan works well when head room is an issue...If you use a drip pan you will need to elevate it off the deflector or the drippings will burn...I've done both..either way is fine...watch the color and you'll have a fine bird...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I use an aluminum turkey pan with the edges folder over ( down) so to not block so much of the heat. Cover that with aluminum foil but don't let the foil hit the bottom of the turkey pan. Keep it about 1 inch away. Add about a can of beers worth of water into the pan and put it on your deflector. I used to elevate the turkey pan but found this works just as good. You will burn some of the smokey drippins but you will have plenty to add chicken stock to make your gravy and probably then you'll be hooked. I do the same for chickens, pork, bacon. It all keeps well in the fridge in separate jars. If you look you can see the pan below the bird.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
ANerdThatBBQs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Whenever I smoke a turkey, I usually just put a pan underneath to catch my drippings. Depending on the size of the cook, I'll do it for pork butt too at the end of the cook as well.