First time smoking cheese

Dilly767

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Finally tried out my cookshack on some cheese. Only turned smoker on for 20 minutes and left cheese in for an hour monitored with maverick and temp never got above 105. Smoked cooper and pepper jack took to party and everyone loved it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 109
Looks good. Give us some more info, what wood did you use? Does your smoker have a way to hang the cheese? I'm interested in doing some, but haven't tried, yet. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I am very curious about this as well. I've always wanted to try to smoke cheese but honestly never knew where to start. All I know is it needs to be a cold smoke.

The cheese just sits on the grate cookshack sells a cold smoke baffle I instead wrapped a grate in aluminum foil. Then just put pan full of ice on top of grate wrapped in aluminum foil. I used hickory wood chips and used about a handful. I sliced the cheese about a inch thick so it would get more smoke flavor. After running 15 to 20 minutes turned off and let sit for about an hour watching temp never got above 105. Took out wrapped in plastic wrap and put in fridge. I did two batches and cheese really picks up more flavor after being in the fridge for a day.

Nice job, Like wine - the flavor improves with a little time wrapped in the refrigerator. I let mine sit about 7 to 10 days.

Looks good. I have been wanting to try but was waiting for cooler weather. The little I have read said the outside temp would really help control smoke temp. Every smoker I have is probly sittn well over 100 degrees now with no fire in box. just too dang hot down here. Never thought about an ice tray, really neat idea!!

Take that smoked ice when youre done and make some A+ Bloody Marys!!! We do it at work when we cold smoke cured salmon!!! Always virgin at work tho...

I do all my cheese smoking in the winter, so i can cold smoke it. You didn't have any melting problems at 105?

CD

Congrats on your efforts!
I have done several hundred pounds of smoked cheese on a Cookshack smoker.
I have done exactly everything you did but I covered my upper vent with a tuna can. This was after a very steady stream of smoke and then turned off my smoker.
I do one hour of trapped or canned smoke for Mozzarella cheese. I do 2 hours on cheddar cheese.
Folks go nuts over it.
A week of refrigeration really brings out the smoke flavor.

Here is an old link http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33665

I read about putting th can over the top and was worried about smoke giving the cheese a stale smoke flavor maybe I need to try that. As far as cheese melting at 105 I had no problems

I like the ice idea. I use the A maze n smoker to get low heat high smoke inside a Brinkman gas smoker. Had a bit too much heat in the summer but works great in the winter. I really like smoked pepper jack and mozzarella

Somked water ice cube for the bloddy Marys.....Hmmmmmm

Back