• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cherry wood aging question

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I just got some cherry wood logs last week. It was cut this spring some time. The ends look like the wood is splitting, so I figured it was getting dry enough. It smells great when I split it, but when taking off the bark, it is stuck pretty good, and still a little moist. The actual wood looks pretty dry. Is this wood ok to smoke with? I can take pics if it would help.

What does it sound like when you hit two pieces together? If it sounds like a baseball bat hitting a ball you should be OK. If it is a dull thud sound you need to wait a little.

What does it sound like when you hit two pieces together? If it sounds like a baseball bat hitting a ball you should be OK. If it is a dull thud sound you need to wait a little.

Two logs, or two pieces that are split?

Thank you... What is the down fall of using it a little early?

cherry and other fruit woods are good to go.. after a couple weeks.. i would use it.. and don't worry about removing the bark.. it makes no difference..

Depends on if you are using it in a pit, if it is not dry all the way you will have problems, I have a half of barn loaded with cherry from this winter with good air circulation, the pieces are cracking, but inside is still wet. I go by weight, wet cherry is very heavy while dried cherry is really light. If you put it in a pit, you can tell if there is still moisture in it as you will see the ends weeping moisture and steam.
(just guessing but I think mine will be ready in a few more weeks, hopefully by Aug 1st.)

i have personally used cherry a couple weeks old in my stickburner.. turned out some great ribs.. using straight pre-heated splits.. as fuel no charcoal..

I am using in a drum. I will say, I cut up a log last week and today some of the fresh cut ends appear to be seeping some sap. But the wood is also cracked on the ends

Cherry is one of my staple woods and I have used it bone dry and fresh-cut. I always preheat my wood and when I am using fresh-cut I almost create charcoal out of the wood!

Back