MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
Paulbk
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default SS Performer Rebuild help!

Hi guys, my name is Paul. I started lurking on the site about 1 month ago after I took over ownership of my neighbors SS Performer One-Touch with Gas Assist. According to my research its an "EO" code and made back in 1995! The date on the old propane tank was 1995 too!

I've purchased part and done most of the restoration.

I bought a new 5lb tank with the OPD but just realized the hose does not attach anymore.

I just have a few issues I need help on.

1. What hose/regulator do I need that will be compatible with new tank.
2. I plan to replace the igniter/burner - what is the correct part?

Here's some photos to help!
Thanks brethren!

New tank

Old tank

Old hose connection
Paulbk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

In your last picture with the regulator, you need to remove the quick-connect brass nipple and replace it with a twist on style connector.

You will see them at most big-box stores in the LP gas fittings area, or go to a propane/welding shop and they will take care of you.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Unscrew( Left hand threads "righty loosey" "lefty tighty") the fitting on the old tank and screw it in to the valve on the new one. Most good propane dealers will have new fittings as well, also Homo Depot, Lowes,Tractor Supply.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

I recently rebuilt a Performer and replaced the tank, line, and igniter/burner.

I called Weber directly to let them know what i was doing and they were very helpful and determining what parts I needed.

Customer Service Line
1-800-446-1071
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

That is just a standard LP regulator and that fitting will screw out and into a new one. (standard threads on the regulator)
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
McGurk
Full Fledged Farker

I understand that it would come off if you wanted, but what do you do when it is time to refill with the quick disconnect? I haven't used a quick disconnect on a portable tank before; do you have to remove it from the tank everytime you need to refill it or swap it out? If so, you aren't saving any effort by having it set up like this. Unless, maybe you are removing the tank for transporting your gas grill between fills. No snark intended here, just a different opinion.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

Yes that is correct, you will have to remove the quick disconnect to refill the tank. That looks like an old style tank and more than likely past the inspection date. I can't really see if the new tank has the outside threads or not, if it does the connector you suggested would be better and less hassle to refill.
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

I switched mine over to use the small portable 1lb bottles, best decision ever.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...2&postcount=23

Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Paulbk
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
In your last picture with the regulator, you need to remove the quick-connect brass nipple and replace it with a twist on style connector.

You will see them at most big-box stores in the LP gas fittings area, or go to a propane/welding shop and they will take care of you.
McGurk! You are the man! I stopped over @ Lowe's and they had the exact part for bout $8!

Brought it home, sprayed some WD40 on the old nipple to ease removal and voila! Switched it out! I can smell/hear the propane flowing through the burner!

ONLY thing now, the igniter is NOT working :(
I tried cleaning the igniter and the wires - no success

It's pretty corroded, so I'm thinking I'll be replacing it.
Any ideas the cheapest/fastest place to order?

I was thinking amazon - but i'm not sure exactly which one is applicable to my setup.

Last edited by Paulbk; 05-03-2013 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: forgot something....
Paulbk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

You can order directly from Weber.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Looks like your neighbor took great care of that Performer. Love the stainless top compared to my plastic one. Can't help on the parts your looking for, just thought I'd give you props on a great looking blue Performer.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

You can order many original Weber parts from here, sometimes cheaper than Weber direct. The burner assy. including igniter here is $22.09 http://www.ereplacementparts.com/web...86_193490.html

Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
I understand that it would come off if you wanted, but what do you do when it is time to refill with the quick disconnect? I haven't used a quick disconnect on a portable tank before; do you have to remove it from the tank everytime you need to refill it or swap it out? If so, you aren't saving any effort by having it set up like this. Unless, maybe you are removing the tank for transporting your gas grill between fills. No snark intended here, just a different opinion.
My local ACE hardware has a quick connect adapter they use for refilling these tanks. They didn't even bat an eye when I took mine in.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote