MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

Default what's a good stick burner for a novice?

no, i'm not getting a new smoker. just researching them. i am a lazy bbq person. i love the mak. flip a switch and put the meat on. easy. i love my WSM's also. alot. i have never had a stick burner but i hear that the food coming off them is some of the best bbq food ever. not looking for anything like the blue october. and i'm not catering anymore either. i'm just using it for me, the wife and a bunch of no good kids and their spouses and maybe a 4th of july party or so. also do you need a insulated smokers box? are some stick burners easier to use than others? and where do ya'll get your wood from? just fireplace wood from the wood guy?

Old 01-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Char Griller are decent little stick burners... I have one.. Stickburners I would say infuse a little more smoke flavor onto what you are cooking.. This however isn't always a good thing.. You can oversmoke on stick burners... They are not hard to cook on they just require more monitoring and you will need to add wood to continue your cook..
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Plenty of Trees round here.. and i got a chainsaw! thats where i get my wood from..

Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Panthers65
is one Smokin' Farker

for a cheap version go with a chrgriller. IF you want something that is going to last a while, the lang 36" is the way I'd go. Also, the horizion smokers from BP are the old school oklahoma joes, very well made also.
Panthers65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tiernan SOB 34 or 48. Their website is icookout.com and click on their Son of Brisket line of cookers. Great product and handmade in Amarillo Tx. You will pay several hundred less than those mentioned above. Great customer service. I mean great. I just sold my 1993 Sob-48 after 20 years of service. A guy made me an offer I could not refuse.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Kernscookin
On the road to being a farker

I have a 60" Lang and I love it. It is reverse flow so the temp stays close all the way across the smoker. They make a 36" and a 48". I almost bought the 48" but decided at the last minute on the 60" They have a web site you can go to. Most of the smokers at least 48" and up are made with 1/4" steel so it holds the temp better than the Chargriller. I started out with the Chargriller and moved up to the Lang. The Chargriller is 11 gauge steel and doesn't work to well in cold weather to keep temp up. Also you can only use about half the Chargriller for smoking because it gets to hot close to the fire box. It is not reverse flow.
Kernscookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Jambos are nice offset smokers also.. the Lang is too.. Those are upwards of 1000 dollars.. if you want a top of the line.. def. the way to go.. but if you want to experiment grab a chargriller with the firebox.. and try it out.. they can be had for around 200.00 at lowes.. and are actually decent little cookers.. A water pan can help with the heat coming off of the firebox.. so the whole little smoker can be useful..

Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, if you can find it, get a bandera or oklahoma joe. Lang, jambo, jj, gator, bubba grills, Klose, and JJ are all solid built. Some are reverse flow and some are offset. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.