MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
SirBBQ
Got Wood.

Default Split Chicken Advice

This weekend I am firing up the new Big A$$ Barrel Smoker (BABS) for the first time.....This will be a day that lives in infamy!

Since I am a n00b and don’t have access to the recipe section I am looking for a killer Split Chicken recipe....

I am down for brining, so bring on your best!

Local restaurants dip the chicken when done in a vinegary sauna that gives it a pop of flavor. I think I will whip up some NC sauce or maybe an Alabama White Sauce...

Give me your recipe and techniques, please!

BTW: When do I get access to the recipe section?

Thanks!!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've done a lot of chickens and when possible, I will always brine.

I do a simple brine of:
1 gallon water
1 cup salt
1/2 cup sugar (white or brown, you chose. I've done both)
1 handful of whole peppercorns
optional:
Lemon, halved and squeezed, but it all goes in
Orange, same as above
Maple syrup, about 1/4 cup
1-2 TBP rub of choice

I brine whole chickens for 5-8 hours

Remove from brine, rinse and allow to sit in fridge for an hour or two if possible to allow skin to tighten up and dehydrate.

As far as seasoning, I will rub with Weber's Kickin Chicken or any other rub I feel like using. I like a sweeter, spicier rub with chickens if I can get it.
I usually either spatchcock or just smoke em whole.
I like to smoke my birds at 325ish. If you get the temp above 350 you have to be careful of burning the rub (ESPECIALLY if it has sugar in it).

Good luck!!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
volfan411
On the road to being a farker

I used to to my chickens beer can style until I spatchcocked one and that is the only way to go. I have not brined one and mine always turn out moist and juicy. I use Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon and the family loves them.

Good luck and experiment what is good to you may not be good to others.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBBQ View Post
This weekend I am firing up the new Big A$$ Barrel Smoker (BABS) for the first time.....This will be a day that lives in infamy!

Since I am a n00b and don’t have access to the recipe section I am looking for a killer Split Chicken recipe....

I am down for brining, so bring on your best!

Local restaurants dip the chicken when done in a vinegary sauna that gives it a pop of flavor. I think I will whip up some NC sauce or maybe an Alabama White Sauce...

Give me your recipe and techniques, please!

BTW: When do I get access to the recipe section?

Thanks!!
I almost always spatchcock my yardbirds when I cook them. As for the Alabama white sauce if you and the family have never had it I would let the taste it first. I made it on a whole bird bys using Chris Lillys recipe and the fam didnt care for it. Simple brine your fav rub and you will be set.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
thirdeye

I brine all of my poultry, and generally inject a couple of ounces of the brine into the breasts as well. Recipes for brines are plentiful and although I've had wonderful success with salt to water ratios of 1 cup Mortons kosher:1 gallon, I prefer 3/4 cup Mortons kosher: 1 gallon, but also like weaker solutions as well.... I use white sugar (instead of brown sugar) when brining and injecting poultry. It dissolves nicely and eliminates any chances of staining the meat when injecting.

Even though I mentioned "cups" above..... My best brine tip is to get in the habit of weighing your salt, not using measuring tools. Salt varies from manufacturer to manufacturer in size and sometimes saltiness. So, a cup of Mortons is not the same as a cup of Diamond Crystal. And a cup of canning salt (my personal favorite for making brines) is way more salt than you get in a cup of kosher. Once you find out that you like a certain weight:water ratio, you will always be able to mix a brine with any kind of salt.

My best tip for split chickens is to split them at the pelvis, not on their axis. White meat and dark meat cook to different internal temperatures. White at 165*, dark is closer to 185*. It's really hard to cook traditional chicken halves because you have both kinds of meat on them. Here is they way I split and cook birds.

Butchering is easy, cut around each leg to the backbone, snap the pelvis (or use kitchen shears), then clean-up loose fat, etc.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
Bama Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Thirdeye is a genius!! Never thought of splitting at the pelvis. Thanks man!!!

*NOT a member of the Secret Squirrel Society because it does not exist! :crazy:

KCBS
CBJ
Bama Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

This is how I do mine...

This recipe was written before I created our new Game Changer brine. Now, I would brine the chicken in Game Changer for about 4 hours before applying the rub and putting it on the grill.

Good Luck!

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26˝" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Ron View Post
Thirdeye is a genius!! Never thought of splitting at the pelvis. Thanks man!!!
You're welcome, and thanks for the kind word.... but thirdeye is only a student who loves to pick up tips from the masters.... I got it from this gal....

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

salt and pepper

split the damn chicken in half and throw it on the grill
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Bludawg

I've made this a few times Every time the daughter and Grand babies come to visit it is the first request along with BB.

Mexican Roadside Chicken

Adapted from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless
Ingredients

1 1/2 teaspoons ground ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
A big pinch of ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed through a garlic press
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus a little more for the onions

1 large chicken, about 3 lbs, butterflied
2 large bunches of green onions or knob onions
A little olive oil for brushing the onions
Grilled tomatillo salsa, for serving
Procedure

1. Light a chimney 3/4 full of charcoal. While the charcoal is lighting, mix chile powder, oregano, cloves, cinnamon, garlic, vinegar, orange juice, and 1 teaspoon of slat together in a small bowl.

2. When the charcoal is fully lit and covered in gray ash, pour coals out and arrange them on one side of the charcoal grate, keeping the other side empty. Place the chicken over the cool side of the grill, skin side down, and brush exposed side with the wet rub. Flip the chicken over and brush the other side with the rub. Cover the grill and cook, basting occasionally with any remaining rub, at 350 degrees until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees when inserted into the thickest part of the breast, about 45 minutes. Remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

3. While the chicken is resting, brush the onions with olive oil and season with salt. Place the onions over the hot side of the grill and cook until tender and browned, about 5 minutes per side.

4. To serve, cut the chicken into quarters, top with green onions and tomatillo salsa

Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
You're welcome, and thanks for the kind word.... but thirdeye is only a student who loves to pick up tips from the masters.... I got it from this gal....

I luv that lady She is an Icon.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #12
landarc

I learned that way, Thirdeye showed for splitting chicken and turkey, especially turkeys, for restaurant cooking. It allows a lot of bird to be cooked fast and simple. It works really well. That being said, with small chickens, I much prefer trussing and cooking whole.

I have been messing around with a chicken dip but, I do not have the recipe right yet. That being said, here is where I am at.

1/4 cup finely chopped celery and carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 to 4 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 finely chopped hot red pepper (I use serrano)
1/4 cup olive oil

Sweat vegetables in olive oil until all are wilted. Do not color the garlic, it helps to add garlic just before you are done. Adding a pinch or two of salt will help.

1.5 cups red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
sugar to taste
Chopped herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, and parsley, about 1/8 cup fresh)

Heat these ingredients almost to boil, add to aromatics and heat to combine. This is to be used as a mop or dip. With the last dip coming within the last 5 minutes of cooking, chicken should be served wet.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Berto01
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Albert

Man those pics look good !
Berto01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
landarc

Oh, here is another dip/sauce I serve on roasted chicken. It has an Asian/Chinese flavor to it, but, plays well with all types of spice profiles, as well as boiled chicken.

Ginger-Scallion Oil:
3 medium scallions, cut into 1/8" thick slices, white and light green parts only
4 medium to large cloves garlic, finely minced
2" long piece of ginger root, scraped and sliced about twice thickness of quarter
1 cup oil, I use canola or canola and peanut oil
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce or 1 finely sliced red chile de arbol or green serrano

1. Prepare all vegetables, keep separate.
2. In small sauce pan heat oil until hot, reduce heat to medium-low. Do not burn oil.
3. Add ginger slices and cook until soft. Remove and reserve.
4. Add green onions and garlic and cook in oil, should bubble vigorously at first.
5. If using peppers, add pepper slices and then press ginger in a garlic press into oil.
6. Add hot sauce at this point.
7. Remove from heat and spoon over chicken, the oil should he about half oil and half vegetables.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #15
SirBBQ
Got Wood.

You all are awesome!! Thank you!