MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #211
Brother Matt
Full Fledged Farker

You are fortunate to have them as a resource. Make sure to write down every pearl you get from them, or better yet film them sharing what they know. My sister did that with my grandmother before she passed, recorded her singing old songs and sharing family stories. It's priceless to all of us, and the traditions bring us all closer.

If you ever want any sourdough starter I'd be happy to send some your way.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #212
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Matt View Post
You are fortunate to have them as a resource. Make sure to write down every pearl you get from them, or better yet film them sharing what they know. My sister did that with my grandmother before she passed, recorded her singing old songs and sharing family stories. It's priceless to all of us, and the traditions bring us all closer.

If you ever want any sourdough starter I'd be happy to send some your way.

Thanks Matt, i will keep that in mind, memories and good times with family are priceless your right.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #213
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Here is some work from today. We continued the installation of the bricks. We cut open an area to accommodate for the BBQ pit clean out door, then continued to install the bricks.

Cutting the opening.

Using our Bosch jack hammer to dig out the concrete

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #214
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

I officially started the curing. I had the propane weed burner in there for about 2 hours, had it on its lowest setting. Stacked a few fire bricks to diffuse the flame/heat. The hottest the top of the dome got was just shy of 200F. The chimney also seems to be drawing pretty well. Hope i can continue some more tomorrow.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #215
treytexag
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
With a form you'll be 100% certain how high the dome ceiling will end up at.

Check out this famous builder's method which looks pretty sloppy but he uses a sand form in this set of photos. I like that refractory liquid mortar he pours over the entire dome. Seems like his whole build procedure saves a lot of time.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...tml#show-87711

Carbon, very cool article and slideshow on how this NY pizza oven was built. I LOVE the idea of building it on top of a sand form, letting it "set" - then digging out the sand. Very good idea indeed . . . .
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #216
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Some photos from this morning. Got the oven temp up to 350F, the walls were 300-325. Ill shoot for 400F next time.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #217
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Nice! You could have thrown in a rack of ribs in there while you were at it. :))

Old 04-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #218
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Lol i thought about it but the heat doesnt stay long enough, the bricks suck in the heat so the heat inside the oven doesnt stay hot for too long, unless i keep on adding fuel.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #219
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Heck...I'm getting excited, and it's not even my oven!
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #220
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

awesome project man!

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #221
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

You and me both.

On another note i will never buy mesquite chacoal/lump anymore, i was stuck with a 40 pound bag, but now its done. I filled the weber chimney with the mesquite and lit it up on my gas grill side burner. WOW $hit everywhere, sparks, debris, ash. Im done with mesquite.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #222
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Just catching up on your progress. Very inspiring!

I've been looking at building something in my back yard. Seems like there are a lot of pre made ovens out there that you just put ontop of a foundation. Supposedly if the deminsions are off the oven won't work as well. What did you use as a guide to build yours?
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #223
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Just catching up on your progress. Very inspiring!

I've been looking at building something in my back yard. Seems like there are a lot of pre made ovens out there that you just put ontop of a foundation. Supposedly if the deminsions are off the oven won't work as well. What did you use as a guide to build yours?

Sorry for the late response. If you are buying a premade oven you wont have to worry about anything. But if you are building from bricks then yes there is a calculation you must go buy in order to ensure proper functioning and proper air flow/draw. When you get serious about starting this project i highly recommend you surf around the Fornobravo site and download the building plans.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #224
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Here are some more from today, got the oven walls up to 400-425. Today went pretty well i guess. I got down the method pretty well. The charcoal chimney starter worked like a charm, lit up a few pieces of wood then constantly added wood, every 2 minutes i would throw in a piece inside, worked pretty well. The fire was constant and never went out in the chimney starter, i used scrap 2x4 wood at first then switched over to Hardwood/Mulberry.

Threw in some Mulberry to dry out for the next firing.

And here are the cracks thus far.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #225
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Are cracks like that considered normal and reasonable thus far?
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote