MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
gooffy140
Knows what a fatty is.

Default WSM 18.5" Mod advise.

Thank You to Tish and everyone here on BBQBRETHREN. Rush for having the contest for the WSM, and BBQBRETHREN for having such w great site that became a subscribing member.

Now that I'm going to be a proud owner of a 18.5" WSM, I'm looking for must have mod's for it Any and all suggestions would be appreciated..

Last edited by gooffy140; 01-01-2013 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: miss spelling
gooffy140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

There are no must have mods for an 18.5 WSM. it's fine the way it is right out of the box. After a few good cooks to season it up it will run rock steady for hours and hours.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Kirk
Babbling Farker

I have a bad habit of not being able to leave things alone. That being said the only changes I've made to my WSMs over the years was to add a thermometer (older models didn't come with one) and if I'm using lump charcoal I lay a second charcoal grate, turned 90 degrees, on top of the first so the smaller bits don't fall through. That's it. The WSM does so well on its own I haven't had to do anything else. A Stoker or a Guru might be a nice addition but they hold temp so well that I could never justify buying one.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Wheels!

That's the only mod I've done to my 22.5" so far. Other than that feed it lots of meat and charcoal.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
BobM
Babbling Farker

gooffy, congrats on winning the 18 1/2" WSM.

I agree with "J'ville Grill", leave it stock, it works great. Get some cooks under your belt then you can look at mods.

I don't use water, I use a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan.
I've done a probe grommet mod and a thermometer mod.
I plan on adding side handles and a separate port for my ATC.

I've had a WSM for over 2 years, and like "Kirk", I just can't leave things alone.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Smoke House Moe
On the road to being a farker

Goofy,
As the others have said, you are basically set with a great cooker in the WSM. However, I see you are also from MN. The other weekend I had to open all vents 100% and maxed out at 275 degrees, which is where I wanted the temp. It just took about 90 minutes to get there.
So on those colder it would help to have a guru for temp control, or you can pick up a thick, fire safe blanket to wrap around the midsection of you WSM. Moving blankets work great.
Holding the temp is pretty easy with WSM's. Getting to that temp when it is 5 degrees out with a wind...that's something else.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
...and if I'm using lump charcoal I lay a second charcoal grate, turned 90 degrees, on top of the first so the smaller bits don't fall through. That's it.
^^^This, and handles on the center section are mods I make to all of my WSMs.

In all honesty, there are very few performance mods you can make to a WSM, and most mods are just for convenience.

Congratulations on winning the WSM. You will love it.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
RW
Full Fledged Farker

A pair of handles for the center section. They make lifting it on and off and whole lot easier.
Genie garage door handles are just the right fit.
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

Mine is an older model. I have added a dome thermometer, second charcoal grate, larger water pan, and probe eyelet from BBQ Guru.

I would not want to do without any of those.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Congratulations on winning! I run mine stock/no mods, but the wheel mod interests me.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Geez... You don't even have it yet and you're modifying it?

Congrats! The second charcoal grate "mod" is great if you want to use lump, but not needed for briquettes. Handles on the middle section are a great add-on as are wheels.

But, one of the most useful mods I made to mine is to add the BBQ Guru pass-through eyelets for thermometer wires.

http://www.bbqguru.com/products/weber-eyelets.html

Much better than trying to feed the wires through the top vent or the door.

Also, at some point you should decide is you want to use water in the pan or not. If you want to use water then a larger water pan is a good idea so you don't have to refill it on longer cooks. Most folks bought a charcoal pan from a Brinkmann smoker that fits the WSM and is deeper than the original water pan.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #12
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

No mods are required. But... Here is what I've done with mine.

I got some 1" (or 3/4"?) expanded metal from the big box home repair store to lay on top of the charcoal grate. I use lump and it helps to keep the smaller pieces from falling through.

I put a bead of high temperature silicone along the groove on the bottom joint on the middle section to provide better sealing.

I installed one eyelet for routing temperature probes. You can buy a very nice hollow bolt that does this but I just got brass eyelets for much less at the H/W store.

I added some short bolts midway between the bottom and top racks that I can set an additional 18" rack on. For stuff that's not too tall like chicken legs or ribs lying flat it gives me 50% more cooking surface.

I didn't put casters on mine because my brick patio is too uneven to make them useful. Nor have I bothered to add handles to the midsection.

Other popular mods are to substitute a clay pan for the water pan (and use it dry, I think.) I haven't done that either. I recommend trying a couple smokes with the water pan used as intended to hone your skills at temperature control before you try that if you are so inclined.

The mod I most highly recommend is a few hot coals on top of a bed of charcoal and smoking wood (search for Minion method) in the bottom and a couple butts or racks of ribs - properly seasoned - on the grates. Remove when done and enjoy!
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

I find the sensor grommets useful for my probes

http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
gooffy140
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for all the advise. I have a 22" Weber kettle grill that was handed down to me from my folks. They got it when they first got married in the early 60's, if it stands up half as well as the old kettle, I'm sure I will be one happy camper.

I like the eyelet mod idea. For Christmas, I got a ready-chek ET-732 therm. It has the curved probe for meat, how did you guys who did the eyelet mod get the threaded ferrel over the probe. Will the probe stand up to being straightened? Once straightened did you leave it that way? I did get a second food probe so leaving it installed in the WSM won't be a big problem. Just curious.
gooffy140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
jeffsee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
^^^This, and handles on the center section are mods I make to all of my WSMs.

In all honesty, there are very few performance mods you can make to a WSM, and most mods are just for convenience.

Congratulations on winning the WSM. You will love it.
Harbormaster....what handles to you put on your WSMs?