MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Converting gas smoker to charcoal????? Help!

Looking to buy this from HD cause I need the room but don't have the $$$$ for a backwoods/spice wine... Its a Smoke Hollow and its $399...Figured I could take the burners out and replace with a charcoal basket and high temp seal the door....Any thoughts??? All input would be helpful and as always appreciated!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1369359844
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.2 KB, 202 views)
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]

Last edited by biggs98; 05-23-2013 at 09:16 PM..
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
Looking to buy this from HD cause I need the room but don't have the $$$$ for a backwoods/spice wine... Its a Smoke Hollow and its $399...Figured I could take the burners out and replace with a charcoal basket and high temp seal the door....Any thoughts??? All input would be helpful and as always appreciated!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1369359844
You would also have to close off and insulate the bottom as it is open for air supply for the propane burner assembly.

They sell a charcoal unit with almost the same design. I would look into that model and save a lot of work and headaches.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
landarc

Yep, agree with getting a charcoal version and you will still need to make some modifications, but, a lot fewer. I see that Smoke Hollow doesn't make a charcoal smoker. So you will have to make some effort to seal up all of the places air can get in, other than the intake and exhaust openings.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by landarc; 05-23-2013 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: edited for accuracy
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
16Adams

You are highly intelligent and will figure it out.
How do I know. Because you have a BalaaCK Thermapen. Not only are the once you've had black Thermapens the fastest, they reveal the inner scarecrow of brains. Don't let the flying monkeys scare you from your dream of conversion.

All BS aside. Its my experience that tools and machines work best when used as designed and intended.

Another beer please, thanks. :D

Old 05-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I would build a UDS instead

And with the money left over you could build a few more and still have money left over for meat
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #6
SmokeDiddy
On the road to being a farker

If I were going to spend $399, I would get a WSM. My 2 cents.

[B]*BSKD[/B]
[B]*Weber 22.5" OTS[/B]
[B]*40" MES[/B]
[B]*ECB (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Weber Smokey Joe (RIP)[/B]
[B]*Maverick ET-7[/B]
[COLOR="Red"]*Weber tongs and such, hd alum foil, chimneys, matches, wood and other misc doo-dads and thing-a-majigs[/COLOR]
SmokeDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Why would you spend $400 on a gas smoker just to chop it up? Get a WSM or if you want to use your tools make a UDS. Or buy a Brinkman and modify it.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeDiddy View Post
If I were going to spend $399, I would get a WSM. My 2 cents.
No kidding. Especially considering you'd be sinking another 100 trying to modify the gasser.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Chitown_hillbilly
Full Fledged Farker

Pretty sure he's looking for capacity, since this Smoke Hollow has nearly Double the cooking area of a WSM or a UDS with 2 racks. Now, even understanding that I'm with these guys and think this unit is going to disappoint. It might be a short term fix but eventually I think you will long for something with better control and heat retention. And then you will be stuck with a piece of equipment that doesn't have a real strong resale value. Even if you build a UDS and dislike it your going to be out about a quarter of the price of this. And you can probably still use some of the parts and use the barrel to burn stuff in. There have been a couple guys who have built double decker UDS's for more capacity. I envision some sort of stacking system, main barrel, then two additional sections that are about 6 inches tall and could stack on top.
Chitown_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown_hillbilly View Post
Pretty sure he's looking for capacity, since this Smoke Hollow has nearly Double the cooking area of a WSM or a UDS with 2 racks. Now, even understanding that I'm with these guys and think this unit is going to disappoint. It might be a short term fix but eventually I think you will long for something with better control and heat retention. And then you will be stuck with a piece of equipment that doesn't have a real strong resale value. Even if you build a UDS and dislike it your going to be out about a quarter of the price of this. And you can probably still use some of the parts and use the barrel to burn stuff in. There have been a couple guys who have built double decker UDS's for more capacity. I envision some sort of stacking system, main barrel, then two additional sections that are about 6 inches tall and could stack on top.
why could he not just put more that 2 racks in a UDS? Its got plenty of room in there
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Chitown_hillbilly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
why could he not just put more that 2 racks in a UDS? Its got plenty of room in there
Probably do-able, I think I've seen one with 3. 4 seems like they might be getting a little close together or the bottom one is going to be close to the coals. Biggest issue is moving 3 racks around to get to the lowest one can be a PITA, but granted that would be an issue with the stackable UDS idea too. Although I think it would be easier to put one of the stacks down on the patio where setting a rack down can get a little tricky sometimes.
Chitown_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Bludawg

Buy a Sheet of Cement board cut a piece to fit the bottom and attach the rest around the outside of the entire smoker including the top add a short piece of chimney and a diffuser to the top of the stack. Paint it what ever color you want. The added insulation of the cement board makes it a Poor mans insulated pit that is quite efficient and east to control.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
Teltum

Ya know, I am not sure about the product above but the Onyx Oven by BBQ GURU might fit a little better. I know it is a whole lot more expensive, but the guy who won the 2010 JD invataional used them. It is a cabinet style cooker with reported 14 hour smoke times. Sure it is right about 1000$ before shipping but it holds full sized restaraunt pans.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
buttburnersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

You ill spend more money converting. I would buy a UDS or a WSM. you can use it right off the bat with no mods .

Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
Teltum

I like BullDog... Cement borad. They even sell fire rated stuff. Just keep it dry or else it will turn to dust.