Contest Announcment 2012 Ohio "Triple" Crown (changes)

roksmith

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The Ohio Triple Crown will be making some changes this year.

With the addition of a new Ohio KCBS event, we are expanding the championship.

New rules will be published this week at http://brickstreetbbq.com/triplecrown

In the meanwhile, here's a sneak peak at the new structure.

The Triple Crown of Ohio BBQ now includes 4 events:

06/08/12 to 06/09/12 Brick Street BBQ Marietta, OH
07/13/12 to 07/14/12 Ohio Veterans Barbecue Cookoff Kettering, OH
09/28/12 to 09/29/12 Ohio Veteran Barbecue Battle Xenia, OH
10/19/12 to 10/20/12 Ohio Smoked Meat & BB Festival Nelsonville, OH

The event will remain unchanged except for the inclusion of the Xenia event. The championship will be determined by taking each team's highest 3 total scores from the 4 events.

do you still have to compete in all four

I don't remember you ever really "competing" in any of them :caked:

Based on the last thing Dave, Dan and I discussed, it will be the best three scores of the four events. You must compete (show up in your case) in at least three to be eligible and if you do all four, the lowest score will be dropped.

Peanut gallery your butt, I'm coming from the cashew gallery if not the macadamia gallery! :laugh:

Jim, we cooked your contest last year (or maybe we just showed up) and we really enjoyed it. Honestly, we are "on the fence" this year only due to the price of diesel fuel. If the early season judging treats us well we'd love to cook it again. Question: Are there any early bird entry fee discounts or any discount if we cook all four? Thanks!

No, There are not.
However, if it's something that the teams are interested in, speaking from one contest's perspective, it is something we could look at.
In the past, we have offered a $50 entry fee break for early entries.
If all 4 contests were to offer the same break, would teams be willing to commit to all 4 events and prepay if you could enter all 4 contests for $800 instead of the standard $1000?

Thanks for the additional info guys! On the fence about how I feel about this. The OTC is a great name and has great marketing potential beyond the BBQ world. Any way you slice or dice a best of 4 series it is not a Triple Crown. Promoting the original 3 comps or a revolving 3 maintains the great idea that is the OTC and works on many levels! What happens down the road when more Ohio comps come along? If the plan remains for a best of 4 challenge then perhaps a name change is in order!?!

Yea Matt, We considered a name change. The Xenia event popped up quickly and we were left with a fairly short suspense to make our decisions for this year.
We opted to leave the name the same to minimize the amount of change all at one time. We didn't want to make any snap decisions that would come back to haunt us.
At the end of this season, we we evaluate the championship and most likely make a few more changes to allow us to be more flexible in the future.
It's an evolving process.

Thanks
Rok

If all 4 contests were to offer the same break, would teams be willing to commit to all 4 events and prepay if you could enter all 4 contests for $800 instead of the standard $1000?

I'd sign up for that.

I'd send my money for all four tomorrow if I was offered that.

David Mizer
Sucka Bone BBQ

Guys,

Great to see another contest in Ohio. I usually cap my contest activity to three, maybe four per year (due to budget and kid activities throughout the Summer).

I think the format for the Triple Crown that has been established for 2012 makes sense and is reasonable. I will have to take my chances by cooking in 3 events though.

I'll look to judge in Xenia if possible, and evaluate competing there next year.

See you in June.

TT

I haven't been able to post them.
The rules will be the same except that we now have 4 contests in Ohio.
But rather than requiring a team to cook all 4, the champion will be determined by a teams best 3 scores from the 4 events.
If you cook 3 events, the total of the 3 will be your score.
If you cook all 4 events, your lowest score will be thrown out.

So it's an advantage to cook all 3, but not a requirement.

I'll get it posted as soon as I can, but those are the changes to the rules.

Thanks for the additional info guys! On the fence about how I feel about this. The OTC is a great name and has great marketing potential beyond the BBQ world. Any way you slice or dice a best of 4 series it is not a Triple Crown. Promoting the original 3 comps or a revolving 3 maintains the great idea that is the OTC and works on many levels! What happens down the road when more Ohio comps come along? If the plan remains for a best of 4 challenge then perhaps a name change is in order!?!

Matt, I think you might be over analyzing but just to give you the benefit of the doubt, talk more to us about this great marketing potential. :smile:

Regardless of the name, I think the purpose of promoting barbecue events in Ohio is the clear objective. I also think the rules structure of the OTC is fair and simple regardless of whether there are three events or thirty. As for the suggestion of sticking with the original three events or doing a revolving circuit, I wouldn't expect any of the contest organizers to agree with the latter of the two. And as the original organizer of Kettering and now of Xenia, I feel safe in saying neither of those two contests would agree to rotational participation in the OTC, it's either all in or all out.

Understand the primary objective of the OTC (from our perspective) is to promote barbecue in Ohio. The secondary objective is to promote the sole sponsor's (Patter Fam) business. While we as organizers have a considerable amount of input into how the OTC operates, the final decision is still left up to the sponsor.

Back