MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #121
Zaigrith
Found some matches.

This looks great, I got the dulse and herbamare but does anyone know where to get the extra hot chili powder in a store? I was thinking of using cayenne as a substitute for today since I have to smoke this meat before it goes bad. Thanks!
Zaigrith is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #122
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaigrith View Post
This looks great, I got the dulse and herbamare but does anyone know where to get the extra hot chili powder in a store? I was thinking of using cayenne as a substitute for today since I have to smoke this meat before it goes bad. Thanks!
I know around here it is difficult to get really hot powdered New Mexico chile powder. The rub is very mild, and the only spicy ingredient is this chile powder, so unless you want absolutely mild you really need the heat from the hottest NM powder you can find.

I do not use NM powder for the heat though, otherwise I would pick a hotter pepper. The NM powder is specifically used for the FLAVOR. The heat is OPTIONAL.

Frankly, in my opinion, this rub is more about flavor than heat anyway, so substituting a lower heat NM powder is not too much of a stretch. A couple members have made it with homemade NM powder from average heat NM peppers available to them, and both reported it tasted fine. It will not be the same as the original, of course, and naturally it won't be the same as what I make. But I shared this recipe for people to use, and if that means you tweak it to your needs, so be it. I think one member even added a little cayenne. You could even substitute with only cayenne, but cayenne lacks a lot of flavor after cooking compared to NM powder. In my opinion, adding/substituting anything could upset the balance that is the key thing about this rub. But hey, do what you want with it, but don't dismiss it unless you make it as close to the original as you can. Otherwise you are judging your variation on it, which is not the same recipe.

I hope everyone enjoys the recipe, however they choose to use it.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #123
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Bump, just ran out of the best rub in the world and making another batch.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #124
LYU370

Looks rather interesting. Might have to give it a go.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #125
gtr

Thanks for bumping this Gore. This rub is fanfarkingtastic. It's definitely a rub that lets the meat be what it is, enhancing rather than overpowering it. Seriously great stuff.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2023, 07:23 AM   #126
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

A long overdue bump for 2023!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-06-2023, 07:51 AM   #127
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Thanks Moose. A lot of people really liked that rub
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2023, 05:00 PM   #128
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

I still can't get Dulse.
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Foil Hat, Foil Hat Rub, recipe, rub, Rub Recipe