MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Smile Foil Hat Rub

Apparently, I am never going to find the correct combination of time and money to make up all the batches of rub I need to. I am taking this to mean I shouldn't try getting in the rub selling business.

Therefore, I have decided to share this recipe with everyone. I have wanted to share it for a long time but felt maybe I could use it to make some spare change. I have learned that some things are more important than trying to get this thing going.

This is the culmination of all of my experiences, from all of ingredient experiments (just do a search for threads I started with the word "experiment" in the title), and from sampling (truly) hundreds of rubs, and doing side by side comparison cooks over the last 7 years.

This is truly my favorite rub, but I could of course be biased. There is one other rub that me and my family also like a lot, but it is not commercially available and sent to me in a Brethren trade by Vosholl Vulture. If you ever get the chance to try his rub I would recommend giving it a shot. Commercially, I have tons of replies in threads asking what everyone's favorite rubs are, and I have never lied, those are my favorites, and I am proud to say that of the top 10 of my favorites, and of the ones I keep a regular supply on had, all of them are Brethren products with the exception of Smokin' Guns. My Brethren fav's are Plowboy's, Simply Marvelous, 3Eyez, Butcher's BBQ Honey, and Smokin Okie's Rooster Booster. If you have not tried any of these products, you should.

This recipe is simply listed in "parts". The size I have always used for personal use and when sending to others is 1 part equals 1 tablespoon. This makes enough to fill a typical shaker bottle and even have some extra. A double batch will fill one of the big, tall containers.

12 Hungarian Sweet Paprika (Szeged)
6 White Cane Sugar
6 Brown Cane Sugar
6 Kosher Salt (Morton's)
6 Herbamare
2 Granulated Garlic (Tones)
2 Onion Powder (Tones)
2 Chili Powder (Williams)
1 Lemon Pepper (Tones)
1 X-Hot Barker New Mexico Chile Powder (Da Gift Basket)
1 Dulse graunules (fine particles)

About the oddball ingredients that maybe you are unfamiliar with...Herbamare and Dulse granules.

I find both locally at Whole Foods (or Whole Wallet depending on your perspective), but can find better deals online but have never pulled the trigger on that.

Here is where I have found the best online deal for Herbamare:
http://www.vitaglo.com/av412131.html

Also, I order my chile powders (all sorts) from Da Gift Basket... http://www.dagiftbasket.com/index.php?cPath=164_165

One VERY important thing...The Dulse Granules are not the same as Dulse Flakes. Dulse Flakes are a larger size (think fish food flake size). Dulse granules are much smaller, more like the size of the particles in your other rub ingredients. It is important to get the smaller granules. If you use the flakes (like Gore did) then the flakes will linger on your tongue giving an aftertaste that Gore and his family refer to as "fuzzy". I would agree with that. My using the smaller flakes, they blend in with the rub and impart the correct umami flavor it is intended to give, without any fuzzy aftertaste. So if you are looking for online deals, MAKE SURE it is GRANULES not FLAKES.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
---k---, 1FUNVET, Al Czervik, B-Lazy BBQ, bbqchicken, big brother smoke, Big George's BBQ, Big slick, BigButzBBQ, Bluebird, bluetang, bobsuosso, caliking, Chef Jim, ChicagoSizzlin, Crazy Harry, Dale in GA, Dave Russell, deepsouth, Diesel Dave, Dr_KY, Durzil, Enrico Brandizzi, FamilyManBBQ, Fatback Joe, FattyMac, fingerlickin', flyingv4me, Frank Sacco, frognot, frohe, Gasket, Gore, goro25, Grabnabber, Groundhog66, gtr, HB-BBQ, Igotgas, jaxbbq, Jay Bird, jetfxr27, JimmyBeam, jiveturkey1, kik_start, KnucklHed BBQ, kpdiver, landarc, Leopardstripes, Melt In The Sun, Midnight Smoke, millsy, MisterChrister, Moose, Myrdhyn, nolaman, NorCalQue, nucornhusker, OutlawSwine, Paulie, Paulmark, Phrasty, Phubar, Pyle's BBQ, razrbakcrzy, Redhot, Ribslayer Explosives, Rich Parker, rondini, seadad9903, silverfinger, smknhotmama, Smokey Al Gold, SmokinAussie, SmokinJohn, SmokinOkie, Smoothsmoke, swinn, TactTm1, The Grill Sergeant, tish, twinsfan, Wampus, wattsup, Westexbbq, wheelterrapin, Will work for bbq, Wrench_H

Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

How cool is this. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us! Cannot wait to try it.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

I'll start gathering the ingredients and give it a try. Thanks for posting.

PS-My wife won't let me wear my foil cap anyone unless the aliens return for me.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
jestridge

Sound like it would be a good rib rub
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
Sound like it would be a good rib rub
Yeah, I like it on pork and chicken the best. I use it for pretty much everything except brisket. My favorite brisket rub is basically pretty much the same as shown in my basic brisket tutorial...I sprinkle on a layer of this stuff, then the 7-Pepper blend, some Canadian Steak Seasoning, and Black Pepper. I do the same for steak, but lighter. It's kind of a multi-layer thing I guess, but not composed of specific mixtures for each layer really except maybe the rub at the beginning. That's what I like best on brisket anyways. YMMV.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Thank you! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been waiting for this

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
One VERY important thing...The Dulse Granules are not the same as Dulse Flakes. Dulse Flakes are a larger size (think fish food flake size). Dulse granules are much smaller, more like the size of the particles in your other rub ingredients. It is important to get the smaller granules. If you use the flakes (like Gore did) then the flakes will linger on your tongue giving an aftertaste that Gore and his family refer to as "fuzzy". I would agree with that. My using the smaller flakes, they blend in with the rub and impart the correct umami flavor it is intended to give, without any fuzzy aftertaste. So if you are looking for online deals, MAKE SURE it is GRANULES not FLAKES.
Fuzzy kind of grows on you.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

How much MSG should I add?

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Vitacost shows a dulse powder. Would that be the same as the granules?
I was ordering the herbamare from them and if it will save on shipping.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Wow! Thanks Chris!!

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
gtr

Thanks for putting that up - how cool!

Is this part of the man pig superthingee's mission to spread good eats?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
How much MSG should I add?

None in the rub. The secret is layering. Layer of rub, layer of MSG, layer of galvanized steel powder, then build a UDS to store it in until you are ready to cook it.

Duh.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
Vitacost shows a dulse powder. Would that be the same as the granules?
I was ordering the herbamare from them and if it will save on shipping.
I honestly don't know. I have only been using this stuff, which labels it as granules. I'm not sure why they would call it particle if it is large flakes. It is possible they are finer than the granules however.

Here is the exact product I have been using...unfortunately it comes in a small container. Fortunately, the recipe only calls for 1 tablespoon of it, so this one bottle can make quite a bit of rub.

Duh.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Is this part of the man pig superthingee's mission to spread good eats?
Yes, good citizen, that and to promote truth in BBQ!

Pork and Away!

Duh.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I honestly don't know. I have only been using this stuff, which labels it as granules. I'm not sure why they would call it particle if it is large flakes. It is possible they are finer than the granules however.

Here is the exact product I have been using...unfortunately it comes in a small container. Fortunately, the recipe only calls for 1 tablespoon of it, so this one bottle can make quite a bit of rub.

OK. I just saw the same one and i'll get it. You have went thru all the effort of trial and error and no sense in me screwing up the ingredients.

Tags
Foil Hat, Foil Hat Rub, recipe, rub, Rub Recipe