• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Fish Tacos

This was tonights table fare..

1. soaking in some Louisiana hot sauce
2. batter, batter, what the matter....
3. fried to a golden crisp
4&5. plated on our finest china :) with some black bean salsa The Redhead made up

Holy fishness! I'm frying some fish tacos up when the family returns! Just pulled some frozen cod out of the freezer. How long did you soak in hot sauce (trappeys?)?

Holy fishness! I'm frying some fish tacos up when the family returns! Just pulled some frozen cod out of the freezer. How long did you soak in hot sauce (trappeys?)?

The Redhead (my wife) does not like fishy tasting fish. I rub down all my fillets and let them sit for about 10 minutes or so. Then I slice them and put them in corn meal. I use "Louisiana" brand sauce. http://www.louisianapepper.com/index.html It's not as vinegary as some others. If you want to try it and cannot get it where you are, I will send you a bottle.

shoot me a PM.

salt

The Redhead (my wife) does not like fishy tasting fish. I rub down all my fillets and let them sit for about 10 minutes or so. Then I slice them and put them in corn meal. I use "Louisiana" brand sauce. http://www.louisianapepper.com/index.html It's not as vinegary as some others. If you want to try it and cannot get it where you are, I will send you a bottle.

shoot me a PM.

salt

Thank you sir! Not sure I've seen that stuff since my college days in New Orleans. It was the sauce of choice in our dining hall and excellent on fried oyster po boys.

Ever try them on slightly charred corn tortillas? Seems like an amazing combo.

There's a place I go whenever I'm in Cali - it's in San Pedro and it's called Baja Fish. They make some great seafood. I think it's becasue they can get it so fresh in Cali.

But, I'm torn between battered and fried or grilled......

My dad was born and raised in Ensenada, which is about a 1-1/2 hours drive south of Sand Diego, into Baja California North. I grew up going back and forth to Ensenada for a good part of my childhood, into my teen years. In Ensenada, they have a very many taco stands. Beef, pork (al pasto/adobada), and fish. The fish tacos I grew up with are pretty much like a beer battered fish. I found that they tend to use Maco Shark.

The batter is like this flour with mustard with salt, pepper, oregano, and a few other spices mixture. They fry the fish in one of those "discos" until its nice and crispy. Then place in a tortilla and put some Pico de Gallo on it, and then, the kicker is this sauce they use. I have been trying to figure out this sauce since I can remember. It is some sort of like sour cream type sauce, with maybe a little bit of mayo. I just can't figure it out, but the sauce makes these tacos for me.

Needless to say, I LOVE these fish tacos:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap. They also make shrimp tacos using the same batter. My mom use to make those here at home (she still does, I'm just not living at home anymore!). We just never got that cream/sauce down. She has since passed on the batter recipe to me. I have it written down on some scrap of paper at home somewhere and will make some of those tacos every now and then. We have used other types of fish, but I beleive the Maco Shark to be the best type of fillet for the fish tacos.

There are a couple of places near me that make fish tacos that are similar to the Ensenada Fish Tacos. Many places CLAIM to make them "Ensenada Style". I go in, check them out, and come out dissappointed most of the time. One place near me, in Anaheim Hills called Señor Baja makes the closest thing to those fish tacos I have had. They even come extremely close with the magic sauce.
I also remember the clam cocktails... mmmmmm. The dude (at a different stand) would shuck the live clams right there in front of you, in his little wood cart, place in a plastic cup with some clam juice, ketchup, lemon juice, and some vegetables, some chopped chile if you like. DAMNIT I have to go back to Ensenada. It has been so long. Thanks for bringing those memories back!

I like 'em. I used to prefer the fish fried and I used Ranch dressing as the sauce. But one time I smoked some tuna for fish tacos and it was killer, so now I make them with smoked tuna or smoked salmon. Kinda like smoked fish from Tampa meets fish taco from San Diego, a long distance match made in heaven.

I had them the first time at Houlihans. They were awsome, and now I make them all the time.

I live in San Diego and eat fish tacos all the time. Nothing like a fish taco and and ice cold Pacifico. Ralph Rubio has a chain of taco shops that sell fish tacos and he's done quite well with his business. His original recipe came from Ensenada. It uses beer battered fish, a white sauce and a salsa. The white sauce recipe is pretty simple:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain yogurt

Topped with the salsa and shredded cabbage and you're good to go. Don't forget the Cerveza.

mick

I live in San Diego and eat fish tacos all the time. Nothing like a fish taco and and ice cold Pacifico. Ralph Rubio has a chain of taco shops that sell fish tacos and he's done quite well with his business. His original recipe came from Ensenada. It uses beer battered fish, a white sauce and a salsa. The white sauce recipe is pretty simple:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain yogurt

Topped with the salsa and shredded cabbage and you're good to go. Don't forget the Cerveza.

mick

I am definitely gonna try that. I never would have thought of yogurt!! Sounds like it would make sense though. Thanks!!!

Fried Tilapia is my favorite to use for fish tacos, topped with spicy pico digayo and avocado

I think some crappie in the freezer are going to become fish tacos this weekend! Do you guys think its better fried or grilled?

I think some crappie in the freezer are going to become fish tacos this weekend! Do you guys think its better fried or grilled?

Nooooo! Nothing on my crappie except tartar sauce. And I have to have fries and hush puppies.

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup plain yogurt

mick
I use the same sauce but when I first got the recipe it seemed it was missing something after I tried it next to Rubio's sauce. I kept tweaking it until I realized what it was...simple white sugar. I add a teaspoon or so until it tastes right. We sometimes put in finely chopped cilantro in the white sauce and cut lime wedges to squeeze on the fish itself.

Oh yeah fish tacos rule!

I love fish tacos myself.

We have a local joint that makes them with Seared tuna. Let me tell ya, the whitefish tacos are awesome, but tuna takes it over the edge.

Fish Tacos - blackened yellowfin tuna with choice of soft or crunchy tacos
filled with cheese, sour cream, shredded cabbage, and pico de gallo. Served with
beans and rice - 8.95
http://www.mossfire.com/dinner.pdf

I totally stole your recipe the other day. (used tilapia instead of cod though) Delicious. :)

The ones from the Mossfire Grill are really good.

I make them at home pretty often. I use crushed corn flakes to make them extra crunchy when I fry the fish. I have been using pretty finely sliced cabbage and a buttermilk, mayo, chipotle Tabasco dressing. Next time I am using Cowgirl's slaw.

Back