Competition Trailer Rig

The Giggler

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Question for those of you who use a cargo-type trailer for your competition rig: What brand do you recommend with respect to durability and quality?

Currently, we have a mobile offset (for sale - if anyone is interested send me a PM) that we use for catering and vending. We're changing directions. Our plan is to buy a rig that can be loaded and unloaded out of a cargo trailer, that will double as a safe place to store and transport all our worldly competition goods and equipment. When we went to Harpoon this year, the Super Duty was loaded to the hilt....

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Call Ron at S&S

in Des Moines. Have him build you what you need with water, etc on board. Not as $$$ as you'd think.

It was

$10,500. 18' Long x 8.5 Wide, custom height (92"). Hot and cold water, fresh and grey water, generator platform, flourescent lights, outside lights, 8 outlets, panel.

$10,500. 18' Long x 8.5 Wide, custom height (92"). Hot and cold water, fresh and grey water, generator platform, flourescent lights, outside lights, 8 outlets, panel.

Nice. That really doesn't seem outrageous. Do you know what brand of trailer the use for the base? And is there a website available?

We're working with Klose Pits for a couple smaller units to load/unload via an electric winch. The pit we have is big. Too big for experimental cooks. Besides, with a little one on the way - I doubt highly that weekends will be dedicated to catering and vending. Competition is a family event already. Looking to do more of it in the future. (Can't wait for the first picture with bbq sauce all over his/her face:) And a cargo trailer will have plenty of room for the pack n' play....

Thanks.

Trailer Manufacturer, gotta go WellsCargo, never had a problem with my little 5x8 v nose..tows like nothing is behind my little Colorado! and I fill it up!!!!!!

Nice. That really doesn't seem outrageous. Do you know what brand of trailer the use for the base? And is there a website available?

We're working with Klose Pits for a couple smaller units to load/unload via an electric winch. The pit we have is big. Too big for experimental cooks. Besides, with a little one on the way - I doubt highly that weekends will be dedicated to catering and vending. Competition is a family event already. Looking to do more of it in the future. (Can't wait for the first picture with bbq sauce all over his/her face:) And a cargo trailer will have plenty of room for the pack n' play....

Thanks.

Have you thought about a toy hauler at all? if you have a little one on the way, a camper with a garage on the back would be even better. You would definitely need a winch to load and unload heavy smokers, though. You can find used ones for under $20K on a regular basis. It has been a boon for us. We are outgrowing ours since my girls will be 5 and 7, and are trading into a bigger unit with more beds. It's been a lifesaver for the girls.

There are also some cargo trailer based toy haulers.... work 'n' play, Play-mor, Roadmaster, etc.

Congrats Mike and Angela! That's fantastic news!!!!

See ya in Buffalo?

S&S uses

their own frame, built from the ground up. They build what's called a weekender as well, which has living quarters. No web site, but you can call Ron Smith at 515 / 266 - 4400.

Jeff,
If you have any pics of your trailer I think it would be interesting to see them. It is a very nice setup. My goal is something to that effect. Don't know if I'll reach it but who knows.

I'll take a few pictures tonight and post them. My hard drive died the other week, and took my photos with it.

Congrats Mike and Angela! That's fantastic news!!!!

See ya in Buffalo?

Thanks Michelle! We're very excited, but there's still a long road ahead. We'll be at Oinktoberfest for sure. (I'll be the one with the drink in my hand....)

Thanks to all. I will check out the manufacturers, and especially the "toy hauler" type units. 20K is a little out of reach, but could pay off big when traveling with the family.

I agree with you Jeff Hughes. A charcoal basket is clutch for some sleep with an offset. I think we'll end up with a 30 x 60 on casters to load/unload, with an additional 24 x 60 offset grill combo. Will have the room for 100-150 people catering jobs (to feed the monkey), while fufilling the needs @ a competition. Not sure though. We're still working out the design with DK.

The idea is to have an awning off the door side of the trailer, and an ez up to put overtop the cookers (stacks exhausting outside the tent of course). I have found that in cooler, wet weather, cooking with the main chamber and upright under cover really helps with temp loss, and kind of acts to heat the surrounding area.

Last edited:
Hey Mike my trailer is made by S&S. They will customize any way you want.
Congrats on the little one !!

Steve

Hey Mike my trailer is made by S&S. They will customize any way you want.
Congrats on the little one !!

Steve

Thanks a lot Steve. We're pretty excited.

Didn't know your trailer was made by S&S. Seen it first hand, and it is nice. Flexibility of use is also a factor. I am reluctant to add items that are cooking specific, as the plan is to use the trailer for other uses too.

Congrats on winning Lowell! Any monumental changes, or business as usual?

Back