• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket prices rising. What are you going to do?

Butts are at $2.12 and whole packers at $3.18 here. I was told this evening by my food rep they expect another $0.40 hike this week in pork and don't expect it to go down at all this year. They told me to adjust my pricing which I did. One bad thing about getting lots of bookings early is that I'll be taking a hit on about 25 events that I have already booked this year. I had a buffer built into my pricing but this way shattered it.

Butts are at $2.12 and whole packers at $3.18 here. I was told this evening by my food rep they expect another $0.40 hike this week in pork and don't expect it to go down at all this year. They told me to adjust my pricing which I did. One bad thing about getting lots of bookings early is that I'll be taking a hit on about 25 events that I have already booked this year. I had a buffer built into my pricing but this way shattered it.

Man that blows. I know several guys around my area that own small local Q joints and they are holding out as long as they can with continuing to carry brisket on their menus because of the rising prices. One of the guys I talked to said he's more than likely not going to continue carrying brisket "until the customer stops buying it" because that would mean he'd more than likely have a bunch of meat in the back that he'd have to take a loss on just to get rid of it. So he's more than likely going to make an arbitrary decision on the next price hike to stop carrying it. I hate it for these guys. :tsk:

I started using chuck roll instead of brisket, it's $3.10 per pound but the yield is far better. All of my customers like it a lot better than brisket. We can't get very good briskets around here. I cook it to med. rare and if they want it more done I just throw it on the flat top.

What is a chuck roll?
Where do you purchase at? Do they carry them at Sam's?

Thanks

I started using chuck roll instead of brisket, it's $3.10 per pound but the yield is far better. All of my customers like it a lot better than brisket. We can't get very good briskets around here. I cook it to med. rare and if they want it more done I just throw it on the flat top.

Does chuck roll taste good medium rare?

I buy my chuck roll at restaurant depot. It almost taste like prime rib, super tender, and the yield is a lot better. I smoke it for 5 hours in a pan and then cover it and take it in the house and put it in the oven on 175 for 5 more hours. I cooked a 32# one today and sold it out by 6:00 this evening. I charge the same price as brisket.

Pork & brisket are up here.

Had our first event last weekend since we decided to raise our prices.

There were no issues about the increased prices and sold a bunch of sammies.

Cost of basic ingredients go up, prices have to go up, until nobody buys the item.

I disagree with why the prices are going up bizznessman, at least in CA, it has nothing to do with policy, there is just no water and no feed.

I suspect at least for the West Coast, the price of all meats are going to sky rocket in a month and everyone will have to adjust their budgets.

Landarc, I agree with the "spike" in prices being due to shortages. I was referring more to the escalating general increase in prices. Either way retail price must be increased unless we want to start operating as a hobby instead of a business. :wink:

Brisket $$

Hi All Was at Restaurant Depot today..Talk about sticker shock they had CAB briskets for $3.99, last time maybe a month ago they were $3.10
They used also sell IBP briskets for much less then CAB ones, couldn't find any IBP briskets today.
Also all they had today were Smithfield ribs,spares n baby backs no IBP ribs at all either.
Pork Butt prices didn't look that bad.
DanB

Last edited:
IBP has the best pork by far, I have used them all and nothing compares to IBP. If a meat man sends me Smithfield butts he just lost a customer!!!They are absolutely the poorest quality of anybody. I don't have a problem with Smithfield loin back ribs they are fine. It's just hard to figure out how Smithfield butts are so small and the ribs so big, that must be one funny looking pig.

Our RD, just north of Detroit, has their USDA Choice Black Angus brisket for $3.59/lb and their regular USDA Choice for $3.39/lb.

Butts have came down in NC this week from $1.99 to $1.79 today.

Still 1.84 here in eastern Iowa. Pork is going to stay high until they get a vaccine for this disease. There are pork producers here in Iowa that have had to kill off 13,000 head of hogs.

The cattle heard is down from the drought out west. I heard it will be 4 years before prices drop. It will take four years to rebuild the heards.

Knock on wood.....

Brisket is $2.55 and butts are $2.05.

We buy so much product that we got "locked In" before the price rose.

Pretty soon pork butts will cost me more than brisket!

My last invoice from Friday was $3.08 for Certified Angus Brisket and $2.29 for Butts.

Back