22.5 WSM on the way. Did I go too big?

Thespanishgrill

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I usually cook for 5-6 sometimes larger parties. I was leaning toward this one for whole packer briskets and still have room for a couple of beer can chickens. Now I'm not sure since some say its a fuel hog.

Any peeps have both your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers

You can always buy the charcoal ring for the 18.5" WSM to reduce the amount of charcoal needed for shorter cooks. It's rare to hear some say "I wish I had bought a smaller pit" but you hear "I wish i had a bigger pit" all of the time.

Interesting idea with the smaller ring, would that also do better for low and slow cooks that don't need massive cooking times?

Yeah you can buy the smaller charcoal ring or just make one out of expanded metal or use fireplace bricks to make a smaller area for the charcoal. You might could have gotten by with the 18.5, but the extra size of the 22.5 is really nice. You made the right choice :grin:

I use a 14" X 6" homemade expanded ring in my 22.5" That is about the size of the 18.5" WSM ring, but it is a little taller. It is good for two things... 1) Smaller cooks where you still want to load up and ignore it until done. 2) Smaller (but more frequent) charcoal loads to keep temps lower. Since it allows you to pack tight with less charcoal, it is more efficient this way than just throwing less charcoal in the large ring.

I have several of both,

The 22 uses a lot more charcoal and I like the 18 inch ones because I can put several in my truck and not have to take my tonneau cover off. The middle section is about 3 inches too tall to be able to transport it without taking my tonneau cover off.

Get or make a small ring like others said and you will save yourself a lot of money in charcoal.

Nothing wrong with making a mini wsm for smaller cooks and your Big WSM for bigger cooks.

Had an 18" for a year and sold it to upgrade to the 22", you will appreciate it for Whole Packer Briskets (as you said) and the ability to lay out full slabs of ribs without using a rib rack.

I just ordered a Humphrey's BB Cube....so bigger is always better :thumb:

I honestly don't find them to be too bad on fuel. If you are going for a shorter (under 7hr burn) cook, a ring of fire/fuse will get you there no problem using hardly any compared to filling the thing with coals.

Whenever I show anybody how little my 22.5 uses when I set it up for cooks like this, they can't believe it.

I also made an expanded steel ring for my 22.5" about 14 inches in diameter and use it almost every time. I feel it burns a lot better due to the extra airflow.

From the cooking you describe, it should work well. I could do a brisket and 2 BC chicks on my 18 but would have to dome the brisket slightly.

You're going to love it!

A 22 was fine when I was just cooking standard stuff. But once I got into making bacon and pastrami (or, more accurately, let my family and friends try homemade bacon and pastrami) I found that they would ask me to smoke up meat for them in addition to my own and I quickly ran out of room.

Back