MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:30 AM   #16
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

Ribs: Simple works!

1) Baby backs: 3 hours @ 265°
2) Spares: 4 hours @ 265°

I use foil on the heat deflector for easy clean up. That's about as close as foil gets to my food while it's being cooked.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #17
ClayQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

With baby backs I have good luck in the drum smoker with a two hour cook. No more do I overcook ribs. 325-350 degrees raised grid, indirect drip pan setup below. Apple or hickory wood smoke.
1/2 hour bone side down.
1/2 hour bone side up.
1/2 hour in foil.
Remove foil and indirect setup.
1/2 hour over direct heat flipping often with a rib juice (mop) or sauce until the edges crisp up and ribs darken to the color of a sunset. Then I'm done.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #18
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

You feel let down because you used a technique for spares.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Just to be clear, spares and loin backs have different meat structure. Spares are more fatty and take longer to cook. Loin backs are leaner, and cook up a lot faster. I can easily finish loin backs in 3 hours starting out at 250 for first hour, then cranking up heat to 300 till they are "done". No foil is needed for ribs... ever! Think if all the extra racks of ribs you could buy if you didn't spend all that money on foil?

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

I found 2hours in foil is way too long...I tried 2-1-1...still too long in foil so now I go 2 then 45 minutes in foil....unwrap and cook til they pass the bend test....final satge varys from slab to slab..some times 15 min...sometimes over an hour

Old 07-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Foil is for wearing on your head to keep the NSA from spying on your brainwaves, not for ribs.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
DeepElemCue
Full Fledged Farker

I find that my UDS cooks everything faster than normal anyway. I have modified the 3-2-1 for spares down to a 2 -1.5 -1 and it works perfectly (when I foil at all). You probably need to mod your times with baby backs.
DeepElemCue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #23
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

spares I cook at 3-1-1

baby backs at 2-1-1

I find 2 hours in the foil turns them into mush. I adjust that last number based on how close to done they are when I take them out of the foil. I've ended up ranging from 3-1- 2 to 3-1- 15min

If I don't foil I cook a little hotter 250- 275
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbchip View Post
Ribs: Simple works!

1) Baby backs: 3 hours @ 265°
2) Spares: 4 hours @ 265°

I use foil on the heat deflector for easy clean up. That's about as close as foil gets to my food while it's being cooked.

This is exactly what I did a couple hours ago.265-275 for 3 hours,no foil.Checked at 3 and a good thing I did.They were done.Always cooked spares but this is the first BB's I did to treat myself for my birthday.I nailed it.

Thanks from:--->