Peoples Choice Ribs?

Granny's Gang Barbeque

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Howdy Folks,
I've got an upcoming competition that is going to feature a "Peoples Choice Ribs" category. I've done Peoples Choice Wings before, not a problem. I've done Peoples Choice Pulled Pork, once again not a problem. Peoples Choice Ribs... Problem!
Cooking ribs for a BBQ Judge, we do that all the time. We know the tenderness criteria.
However cooking Ribs for the General Public, I don't know. Thanks to places like Chile's and TG Fridays, most people expect ribs that "Fall off the bone." (I feel dirty just typing it.) So my question is this: Knowing that the ribs are going to the "General Public" and NOT a BBQ Judge. Would you recommend slightly overcooking the ribs to give people the "Fall off the bone" that they will be expecting?

Thanks for you feedback,
Granny's Gang Barbequ

umm who are you cooking for?

cook for your judges whomever they may be.

Public and me overcook them...

I agree, we over cook them. Put alot of sauce on them too. People's choice = sauce contest.

+1 said above. Sanctioned cooks; cook to the sanctioning bodies' standard. FYI: across them, there are many differing standards; KCBS is certainly one of them...

I'd have it perfectly tender and right to the point of falling off the bone, but not. That's very similar to MBN's "pull cleanly from the bone with only slight resistance" definition, by the way...

overcook them. but not to the point where they can't be sliced. don't ask me how i know.....

Would you recommend slightly overcooking the ribs to give people the "Fall off the bone" that they will be expecting?

No.

Overcook them A LOT, not just slightly. You should be able to pull the meat from the bone with no resistance using 2 fingers. If you can pick up the rib bone and pull it out without the meat moving, that's probably still OK.

We did that one year in Troy and over 50% of the people that tried them voted for us. (Of course we didn't realize it's also a volume game. We just cooked the provided case, and got buried by people cooking 8 cases - something else to keep in mind. You can also buy tickets and vote for yourself, or pool the ribs from 5-6 teams together to get the volume up. All of these tricks are why we don't do people's choice much anymore.)

Don't compete in Peoples Choice to win. You will be disappointed. Do it for whatever fundraiser they are doing it for. If you get something its a bonus.

I'd like to add that a well cooked rib taken just too far will yield the same tenderness as a fall off the bone rib and offer a better eat. Don't purposefully try to crush them or you will :grin:

Oh and don't bother with the foil you will never want to do it again.

You have to overcook them...dont bother with foiling each one.. just place as many racks in a foil pan that will fit, add some apple juice, foil the pan real tight and back to the cooker until they are falling off the bone.

.. when you slice them, put them back in a pan sliced and pour the sauce over the sauced ribs.. and cover them till your ready to serve.

Dr. Pepper!!

In all seriousness, overcooking is a must. In addition, stick to flavor profiles that the general public can get ahold of. Common sauces and rubs that you can get in your local supermarket may score better than obscure ingredients ordered from a specialty BBQ site on the Internet.

I know this is not an answer to your question, but it might help you a bit. IMO, PC has become 2 things.

1) A popularity Contest
2) An "outlast the other teams" contest.

Are you getting a financial return for each rib you sell, or is there prize money awarded according to place finish? Both of those should have some bearing on a team's desire to compete. Ribs are the most expensive meat for us to PC and for that reason alone we decline the opportunity to PC them. As a matter a fact, even if it's a buck-a-bone return we'd basically be working for free.

Best of luck in your event and to keep it on topic.....over cook them.

I know this is not an answer to your question, but it might help you a bit. IMO, PC has become 2 things.

1) A popularity Contest
2) An "outlast the other teams" contest.

Are you getting a financial return for each rib you sell, or is there prize money awarded according to place finish? Both of those should have some bearing on a team's desire to compete. Ribs are the most expensive meat for us to PC and for that reason alone we decline the opportunity to PC them. As a matter a fact, even if it's a buck-a-bone return we'd basically be working for free.

Best of luck in your event and to keep it on topic.....over cook them.

I agree it is a popularity contest unless it is a blind peoples choice contest. Everytime we do comps with peoples choice . The only ones that win are the guys working the crowd .

I agree it is a popularity contest unless it is a blind peoples choice contest. Everytime we do comps with peoples choice . The only ones that win are the guys working the crowd .

And you are not working the crowd why?

We do well blind and when we serve. We prefer blind because it really is a lot less effort to do.

And you are not working the crowd why?

We do well blind and when we serve. We prefer blind because it really is a lot less effort to do.

Most comps we do with peoples choice where we have to serve . It is always the same time as turn in's . So we concentrate on the turn in boxes since we are there to win and collect the prize money .

Most comps we do with peoples choice where we have to serve . It is always the same time as turn in's . So we concentrate on the turn in boxes since we are there to win and collect the prize money .

That is CRAZY!! I get the hate now. It is typically either Friday night or blind in these parts.

Back