MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #16
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Wouldn't injecting them give you better results? Maybe Knucklehead will chime in on this one.
The results were just what I was looking for....how to make Tri Tip even more tender. The initial saltiness seemed to dissipate by the time we ate. I'm guessing it went back into the meat after it rested.

The words my sister in law used when I compared it to prime rib consistency was, "Like Butter".

My 23 year old son cut his with only a fork.

They looked at me like, "What are you talking about" when I asked if it seemed mushy at all.
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Marinades don't penetrate nor do acids tenderize,except for making the outer mushy.
Papain, if not time controlled, will turn the meat to mush also.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but at least you have something that will tenderize.
Nothing is going to make tri tip melt literally like butter.
Acids will tenderize, but they tend to work at surface level like Bucc stated. I've done lot's of chicken with things like lime, orange juices etc. They will turn the outter surface a light gray. It also makes it slimy. It's basically cooked the outter surface. Once you grill it, that outter surface is what gives you the flavor much like a rub. But, unless I jaccard the meat, it won't really go passed the surface and the inside tastes normal. If I inject, there is much more flavor internally, BUT you need to work on a quick time line.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
BobBrisket

Be careful how you use a Tenderizer on something as awesome to start off with like TT. You have been warned:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...highlight=mush
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Acids will tenderize, but they tend to work at surface level like Bucc stated. I've done lot's of chicken with things like lime, orange juices etc. They will turn the outter surface a light gray. It also makes it slimy. It's basically cooked the outter surface. Once you grill it, that outter surface is what gives you the flavor much like a rub. But, unless I jaccard the meat, it won't really go passed the surface and the inside tastes normal. If I inject, there is much more flavor internally, BUT you need to work on a quick time line.
Can't say I've ever made meat or chicken slimy.

I'm not looking to totally take away the flavor of the meat. Considering you get surface flavor from a Tri Tip in every bite (Unlike a thicker cut), for me, this combination worked well.

I was nervous yesterday thinking that I farked up six Tri Tips, but didn't need to be.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Be careful how you use a Tenderizer on something as awesome to start off with like TT. You have been warned:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...highlight=mush
Moderator or not, After just posting my cook as I was asked, this crap from you is getting annoying.

I did the cook. It was not mushy even after two days.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #21
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortaboy View Post
Can't say I've ever made meat or chicken slimy.

I'm not looking to totally take away the flavor of the meat. Considering you get surface flavor from a Tri Tip in every bite (Unlike a thicker cut), for me, this combination worked well.

I was nervous yesterday thinking that I farked up six Tri Tips, but didn't need to be.
Chicken will get that way with a long marinade in an acid. I couldn't tell you if beef, pork will get that way cause I've never really used an acid based marinade on those cuts unless it was a quick marinade or something used as a mop/baste.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #22
BobBrisket

Quote:
Moderator or not, After just posting my cook as I was asked, this crap from you is getting annoying.
How is it annoying? I'm trying to help you out on YOUR post like everyone else that posts in your thread. I'll tell you what gets old and annoying, when you create a thread and ask for info and then get irritated when people give you advice contrary to what you already know or proved. If you already know, then why ask for people's advice? The message in the link I provided was simple..........be careful not to mess up a good batch of tri tips by using a tenderizer on a cut that doesn't need a tenderizer to begin with cause it will be BUTTER soft if you cook it right from the get go!

Merry Christmas!

Bob the Member, not the Moderator.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
How is it annoying? I'm trying to help you out on YOUR post like everyone else that posts in your thread. I'll tell you what gets old and annoying, when you create a thread and ask for info and then get irritated when people give you advice contrary to what you already know or proved. If you already know, then why ask for people's advice? The message in the link I provided was simple..........be careful not to mess up a good batch of tri tips by using a tenderizer on a cut that doesn't need a tenderizer to begin with cause it will be BUTTER soft if you cook it right from the get go!

Merry Christmas!

Bob the Member, not the Moderator.
BULL CHIT.....

The time to give advice and warnings was before the cook. AFTER I already did the cook, and it came out good....I was no longer looking for your "ADVICE". At that point, your continued warnings were plainly an attempt to be condescending. You recognized NOTHING that I had posted from my actual cook. I would expect more from a mod.

Kinda like you posting a good cook, and me saying it looked like S***. Very classy.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #24
BobBrisket

Quote:
The results are in:

I was concerned about trying something new for the family, so, I woke up early and did a test cook (Steak and Eggs for Breakfast...yeah baby).

The Tri Tip felt soft to the touch, but definitely not what I would call mushy at all.

After cooking to 140, resting, and slicing, I ended up with a very tender Tri Tip Roast. Definitely more tender than without using tenderizer. It reminds me of prime rib tenderness. If you consider that mushy....so be it.

Because I used a lot of soy in the marinade, along with seasoned Papaya tenderizer, I thought the meat was a bit too salty. My wife tasted it and said it was perfect.....what did I expect from a soy based marinade?

So, when I cook for the group this afternoon, I'll rub with some Sugar in the Raw brown sugar to balance out the salt.

My thoughts:

1) Regardless of what the science says, marinade makes meat taste more moist and flavorful.
2) Regardless of what the science says, tenderizer makes Tri Tip even more tender, and zero mush even after two days in the marinade.
I was going by this post that said when you cook for the group this afternoon. I guess within the couple hours of the time stamps from this post to the current ones, you had already done the cook. Again, just trying to show you what a tenderizer will do by showing you what other members have gone through. You can call it whatever you want. I'm thinking it's a case of being overly sensitive, but that's just me. Whether it's before or after, the thread is still out there for people to comment about it, even in general terms.

Enjoy your holiday.

Bob

Old 12-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #25
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
The results are in:

I was concerned about trying something new for the family, so, I woke up early and did a test cook (Steak and Eggs for Breakfast...yeah baby).

The Tri Tip felt soft to the touch, but definitely not what I would call mushy at all.

After cooking to 140, resting, and slicing, I ended up with a very tender Tri Tip Roast. Definitely more tender than without using tenderizer. It reminds me of prime rib tenderness. If you consider that mushy....so be it.

Because I used a lot of soy in the marinade, along with seasoned Papaya tenderizer, I thought the meat was a bit too salty. My wife tasted it and said it was perfect.....what did I expect from a soy based marinade?

So, when I cook for the group this afternoon, I'll rub with some Sugar in the Raw brown sugar to balance out the salt.

My thoughts:

1) Regardless of what the science says, marinade makes meat taste more moist and flavorful.
2) Regardless of what the science says, tenderizer makes Tri Tip even more tender, and zero mush even after two days in the marinade.
Bundle up those results Tortleboy!
There are labs in NY, Switzerland, France, Spain and Great Britain awaiting them!
Man, I'd love to see their faces...Californian BBQer breaches the laws of physics, I can see the headline now!

Old 12-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #26
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #27
bbqbull
Watching over us.

The swearing and slamming other just ended!
This is a bbq forum here.
Thank you in advance.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #28
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
BULL CHIT.....

The time to give advice and warnings was before the cook. AFTER I already did the cook, and it came out good....I was no longer looking for your "ADVICE". At that point, your continued warnings were plainly an attempt to be condescending. You recognized NOTHING that I had posted from my actual cook. I would expect more from a mod.

Kinda like you posting a good cook, and me saying it looked like S***. Very classy.
Holy Carp! WTF is that! I was going to offer my 2 cents in this regarding tri-tips(which i cook at least twice a month) but chances are you will piss in my cheerios too. Which would likely lead to one less member. Your reaction, directed at anyone in this forum was out of line and uncalled for.

So now I will point a few things out.

first, regarding this comment, which may be your rule, but its not mine, nor the rule to this forum..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortabuy
The time to give advice and warnings was before the cook.
so, to use your own words.. BULLCHIT.. folks can comment any time they damn well please.. expect it, dont make up your own rules and if you dont like it.. tough..

Moving right along....

1- Mods are members and just as entitled to respond to a thread as a member as anyone else is...

2 - no where does it say that responses are unwelcome after the cook completes. The purpose of this forum is to form a knowledge base and members dont always see stuff immediately(such as myself, who just saw this and was preparing to comment on marinading tri-tips) but will comment in threads after the fact offering more advice. That ongoing advice (or opinion) will benefit the person or persons who read the thread a day or month or year down the line.

3 - Responses like yours will do nothing to encourage new members to post or join in, not to mention are just plain caustic and uncalled for.

4 - let get something straight now. if you ask for advice, expect to get it, and, expect for it to possibly continue after youre done cooking. If you dont like that idea dont ask for advice or opinions.

And finally, just a warning.... next time you, or anyone jumps in a members chit like that, expect to find the door locking behind you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #29
WareZdaBeef
is One Chatty Farker

Sorry to bring up this thread (seems to be a salty subject "pun intended") but im wondering what the ratio was of the papain meat tenderizer to liquid? Im not a fan of soy sauce so i will be using kosher salt and water instead. Im also going to be using a cheap tougher cut then TT so I believe there will be less chance of "mush" Im also thinking of going from the inside out with injection vs brine, or maybe both.
WareZdaBeef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #30
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You're getting to scientific again. Forget the chemistry and use a Jacard it does penetrate.
captndan is online now   Reply With Quote