MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #16
Diesel
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Sure, you can use the droppings, but be advised that your gravy will have
a smoky flavor. John
Just made up a small batch and got a thumbs up from both kids, Guess thats a good start. It is smokey but it still tasted better than the bottle gravy my wife wants to use.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Just made up a small batch and got a thumbs up from both kids, Guess thats a good start. It is smokey but it still tasted better than the bottle gravy my wife wants to use.
If you want to jack the flavor to the moon, make a turkey stock.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
165*

John
165º for the Thigh? I know they have lowered the safe temp but I seem to always have under cooked dark meat at 175º, using a correctly calibrated thermometer.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
165º for the Thigh? I know they have lowered the safe temp but I seem to always have under cooked dark meat at 175º, using a correctly calibrated thermometer.
Well, ideally you should pull it off when the breast is 160* and the thigh is 170*,
as they both carryover cook another five degrees. Dark meat is perfectly cooked
at 175*, but of course preferences vary.

John

Old 11-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
Erin
Knows what a fatty is.

Location: Vancouver, WA--Across the Columbia River from Portland, OR

my bird is 13.4 lbs. Fresh, organic...no injections. Is 12 hrs long enough to brine? I don't like it too salty. I plan on smoking at 150-180 for 2 hrs then crank it up to 350 to finish it off. Am I still in the safety zone? How much time overall will it take? It is 50 degrees here. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #21
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
my bird is 13.4 lbs. Fresh, organic...no injections. Is 12 hrs long enough to brine? I don't like it too salty. I plan on smoking at 150-180 for 2 hrs then crank it up to 350 to finish it off. Am I still in the safety zone? How much time overall will it take? It is 50 degrees here. Thanks!
12 hours in the brine is fine, as I recommend 45 minutes per pound. As for your cooking plan, I'd urge you to simply smoke it at 325* for the entire cook (about 2 1/2 to 3 hours). 150-180 is WAY too low and dangerous.

John

Old 11-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #22
Sleepy Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

John,

This was the second consecutive year I used your turkey brine and it was also the second year I received compliment after compliment about the bird.

Thanks again!
Sleepy Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #23
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Smoker View Post
John,

This was the second consecutive year I used your turkey brine and it was also the second year I received compliment after compliment about the bird.

Thanks again!
Thanks for your kind and gracious comment, you made my day. I'm really glad that you
and your guests enjoyed it.

John

Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Just throwing some pics in here because I used your brine recipe PD. Brined for 14 hours, rubbed with canola oil and some rub. Let it sit out for an hour while I got the UDS up and runnin.

Two hours later this is where I'm at!

Thanks PD!
Time_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #25
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Thanks, bro! I just hung my brined 14 pounder in the Pit Barrel about 20 minutes ago. I'll
share some pics later.

John

Old 11-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #26
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

What I don't get is that my et732 is showing a grill temp of 230 but the turkey fryer thermometer I have stuck in the side 1" under the grate and extends into the center is showing 325. My bird has been on for three hours and the breast temp is at 130. I started early because I was afraid of the bird taking 6+ hours since the 10lb one I did last weekend was 3hours. We aren't eating til 6, I think my bird is gonna be way done before then. What should I do?!

Old 11-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #27
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time_1 View Post
What I don't get is that my et732 is showing a grill temp of 230 but the turkey fryer thermometer I have stuck in the side 1" under the grate and extends into the center is showing 325. My bird has been on for three hours and the breast temp is at 130. I started early because I was afraid of the bird taking 6+ hours since the 10lb one I did last weekend was 3hours. We aren't eating til 6, I think my bird is gonna be way done before then. What should I do?!
What was the bird weight, and what cooker? It sounds like you need to calibrate your thermometer(s).

John

Old 11-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Newly built UDS and a brand new outta the box (got it yesterday) maverick et732. One probe in the bird the other in the lil holder stuck to the grill grate. The bird is 20lb. My Taylor meat thermometer says the breast is the same as the maverick. Wasn't expecting this bird to cook this fast. Everything I've read said there wasn't a calibration for the maverick....

Old 11-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #29
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

You're probably out of the danger zone (140*), so just slow the cooker down. Then,
you can hold it in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels/blankets for at least a couple
of hours. The skin will be soggy, but the meat will be fine.

John

Old 11-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #30
Time_1
Knows what a fatty is.

Maverick shows the breast at 135. Gonna get it to 140 then slow the cooker down and hope family starts showing up early so we can eat right when it comes off the smoker haha. Thanks for your help, pron to come!!