Bbq Classes

IowaWildHogsBbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Alright everyone need some brethern help. This is my first year in kcbs comps I did 7 this year. I ended up with nine top ten catorgery calls and 2 top ten overall calls. I live in Iowa and we all know how iowa bbq is. My question is would it benifit me taking a cooking class? I have learned alot on this site have talked with people that have taken classes and have helped me out. I know what direction I need to go. Plan on alot practice cooks from now until next season. Thanks guys and girls.

Depends on how long you will be content with the level your currently competing. You can read all the hot techniques on the internet hear them second hand or go see them done in person and taste as they are done. The top classes cost less then 1 competition. I bet your in easy driving distance of several classes this winter. Ask questions if ya need to before signing up to find a class thats compatable with the way you want to cook and go for it. I wont name them but I bet a couple of the recent big winners have taken classes even after several years of competition experience. It may only take on or two of the lil tips offered to put the game in your court....of course your in Iowa and those folks are crazy :wacko:

They help. What you get from them will depend on where you are now. Fact is most teams are very close on what they are doing; consistency is key and the winning teams have exemplified that.

You did very well this year so you have something going for ya. create your own flavors that stand out from the "same Ole". Stick with your flavors and continue to research on here and other places.

Tiger Woods works with a swing coach every week and has relearned a new swing three times in his career, even when things were going well. This is one example, but is consistent with most professional athletes and competitors. As the great Rub said, "Never stop learning". Even if you aren't looking for wholesale changes to your process, you will likely pick up what may seem like a minute detail or two from a class that may make a big difference in your results. That has been my experience at least in every class I have taken.

One thing is for certain when you take a class. Yes, they are great to help you exceed your knowledge and ability in a short weekend. But, there are 49 other teams there learning the same exact thing you just did. So, do you have the ability to take what you’ve learned, and do it better than the other 49? Or take what you’ve learned and figure out a way to beat it? I’ve not taken a class in 5 years, and even though I started with a few things I’ve picked up there, it has evolved over time to be 95% my own. (having great friends who kick a$$ in BBQ helps too!!) The key to these classes is to learn how the instructor thinks, and what his/her approach to BBQ is. There’s only so many rubs and sauces that all the teams use, and pretty much, we all know the techniques. It’s the details, determination and focus (and a little luck) is what separates 10th overall from GC.

Very well put Podge! I guess my OCD isn't quite as severe as it should be.

Its funny, I want to take 3 classes and TWO of them posted on this thread. And only reason Swamp Boys is not on my want list is i dont think the old lady would let me go to Florida for a class.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Tiger Woods works with a swing coach every week and has relearned a new swing three times in his career, even when things were going well. This is one example, but is consistent with most professional athletes and competitors. As the great Rub said, "Never stop learning". Even if you aren't looking for wholesale changes to your process, you will likely pick up what may seem like a minute detail or two from a class that may make a big difference in your results. That has been my experience at least in every class I have taken.

Des Moines is pretty nice in the spring, and I know for a fact that two folks that spent that weekend with you got a pretty fantabulous return on investment. I can only speak for myself, but I paid for the class, airfare, hotel, and a new Fatboy and still had almost $2000 left over less than two months later thanks to about three things I picked up. I think there was another guy that had an even bigger ROI, but I will not speculate.

Yes, never stop learning, and it helps to learn from those who are successful. At this stage for us, it's really about execution, and how it's done was my takeaway.

Its funny, I want to take 3 classes and TWO of them posted on this thread. And only reason Swamp Boys is not on my want list is i dont think the old lady would let me go to Florida for a class.

I'm looking for some classes here in the NC area although I'm willing to make a trip of it: GA, FL etc.

You said 3 classes were posted in this thread but I must be having a dumbass attack again because I don't see and classes posted. Would you help me out and tell which classes you were talking about?

Thanks

I'm looking for some classes here in the NC area although I'm willing to make a trip of it: GA, FL etc.

You said 3 classes were posted in this thread but I must be having a dumbass attack again because I don't see and classes posted. Would you help me out and tell which classes you were talking about?

Thanks

Sure, you got Rub with Swamp Boys in Florida, Musicmanryann of Big Tz, he does with another competitor class is called Corn Fed BBQ class here in Iowa. And also Scottie who does a Cancer Sucks Chicago BBQ Class.

I cannot speak for the classes themselves, i just know there are many things about each one to like. I am pretty sure they dont have their new class schedules yet as some, if not all of them are still going hard and heavy, but when they do I have a few i would Love to take.

Thanks for all the great responses. I am going to attend a class if I only come out with a few things atleast I learn something. Now just waiting for the class I want to take get some dates set. Thanks again everyone.

Well if you can't come to FL the beginning of March to take one put on by me and 3 Eyz, would she let you go to Chicago the end of March? :wink:

Chicago is just me, looking at March 29-30, $500. Florida is me and the 3 Eyz team, 99% sure March 8-9, price TBD.

The one that we do every year with QUAU, will be mid February in a suburb of Chicago. Trying to get another big one off the ground, but the damn paper work is BS with corporations. Also half of the cost of my class is considered a tax deductible donation and 100% of the profits go for cancer research. We have raised and cleared from $13k- 25k for a class. In the end, it is very rewarding for our teams what we were to accomplish with the classes. I also know its pretty cool watching past students win awards. Some pretty big one's. :p Which is reward enough for me.

Chicago is just me, looking at March 29-30, $500. Florida is me and the 3 Eyz team, 99% sure March 8-9, price TBD.

That sounds great. Keep us informed.

Not too long of a drive to FL from NC and hopefully it will be reasonably priced like your other courses.

Back