Beef chuck roast. Angus beef. Cooking advice/help

silverfinger

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I bought 5 lbs of chuck today.
4cd88c2c-b97c-b341.jpg

4cd88c2c-b9b3-ad4f.jpg

I just could not pass it up. I've seen threads on cooking them before but after searching through many threads I did not find what I'm wanting to do.

I want to make a beef stew.
I was thinking small potatoes, carrots, onions etc. nothing to spicy because the family just can't handle it. I thought I saw guerre do something like that but could not find it. Anyway, any help on this cook would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.

Those are beautifully marbled hunks of cow. I wouldn't hesitate to cook like a small pork butt. Pull it for a few sammies, then save the rest for your "stew".

Maybe save one for stew, and devour the other with great sammies. Pulled beef from a nice cow is the best thing on the planet.

Here's the cook you were looking for...

Kettle cooked pot roast. Took the chucks to 160 in a 300 degree kettle with lump and a few oak chunks (Rubbed with The Rub Co.'s Santa Maria Style), then panned with bell peppers, onions, carrots and baby Yukon gold taters with beef broth mixed with cayenne, celery seed, celery flakes, crushed rosemary, a little worsy and Bragg's cider apple vinegar and amino acids then back on the kettle to finish. Let the chucks get to a nice slicing temp, just shy of pulled beef.

meatntaters.jpg

Last edited:
In the pan on the kettle - I think these two roasts were about the same total weight, and were also choice CAB.

roast-2.jpg

Don't forget a good strong beer in the broth!

Cheers!

Bill

Man, I would do what El Ropo said, unless I saw that plate Guerry showed. No, I guess I would do both, head back to the store.

Those are beautifully marbled hunks of cow. I wouldn't hesitate to cook like a small pork butt. Pull it for a few sammies, then save the rest for your "stew".

Maybe save one for stew, and devour the other with great sammies. Pulled beef from a nice cow is the best thing on the planet.

Yes,
This is a good idea as well!!!
Once again, (thanks to the brethren) I'm cooking something I've never cooked before. I'm real excited about this cook because of how great the meat looks!!!

Yes,
This is a good idea as well!!!
Once again, (thanks to the brethren) I'm cooking something I've never cooked before. I'm real excited about this cook because of how great the meat looks!!!

I trust you. It's gonna be fantastic. Whatever you do.

Well, this cook is in progress right now.

Injected with beef broth and coated with evoo then rubbed with
Kosher salt, pepper, paprika, Tyne, oregano, minced garlic.
c6e4d81d-7dd4-3643.jpg

Stew went in kamado and the chuck went on the kettle.
Stew has beef broth, medley potatoes, celery, carrots, mushrooms, sweet onion, red onion and fresh orageno.
c6e4d810-7f97-f555.jpg

More to come!!

About 2 hrs in. Just put the chuck in the stew. Did a reverse sear on the chuck and brought them up to 165 degrees.
c6e4d81b-92b2-b404.jpg

c6e4d81b-92dc-64eb.jpg

Fark, that looks so delicious!!!

Thanks!!!
Cooking it right now at about 300 degrees with lump charcoal and hickory chunks.
Just waiting for it to start falling apart. Not sure how long that will take since I've never tried this before. I think im going to add more mushrooms and some worsticher sauce in about 30 min.

I'm stuffed.
Took 4 hrs
Fell apart, moist, very tasty!!!
Good first try!!
Thanks for looking and all your help!!!
4cd88c2c-bf45-b3fd.jpg

4cd88c2c-bf58-541d.jpg

I'm stuffed.
Took 4 hrs
Fell apart, moist, very tasty!!!
Good first try!!
Thanks for looking and all your help!!!
4cd88c2c-bf45-b3fd.jpg

4cd88c2c-bf58-541d.jpg

Gorgeous!
What temp was the cooking braise liquid?
You did a sensational job!

I tried to keep the kamado at 300 degrees. It did run a bit dry at the end but just added water to adjust the thickness of the stew.

Back