Venison shoulder on the campfire

You never cease to amaze all of us!! Great looking grub!! Oh, and we are making your Smoked Apple Dumplins tomorrow to go with our brisket!! YUM!!

I am avenison guy but never tried Front shoulder on a grill of any kind although I've tried it other ways and and because it usually is tough, I now grind every bit of it. Was it tender or "chewy"? I'm always lookg for options with venison. In fact, next time I do my backstrap chops, I'll post with recipe.

Thank you Thirdeye and Bob! Bob the fishing was great. :grin:

Mark thank you! :grin:

You never cease to amaze all of us!! Great looking grub!! Oh, and we are making your Smoked Apple Dumplins tomorrow to go with our brisket!! YUM!!

Thank you! Hope you take pics of the dumplins! Hope you have a great 4th too. :mrgreen:

I am avenison guy but never tried Front shoulder on a grill of any kind although I've tried it other ways and and because it usually is tough, I now grind every bit of it. Was it tender or "chewy"? I'm always lookg for options with venison. In fact, next time I do my backstrap chops, I'll post with recipe.

Hi Scott, the meat isn't chewy. I agree it is easier to grind the whole thing but I like to throw a couple of shoulders in the freezer and cook them whole. It takes so much work to "whittle" around the connective tissue that I find it easy to cook it whole and let others serve themselves and "whittle" the tender meat out themselves. :grin:

Sometimes I cook them on the UDS.. http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/12/mesquite-smoked-venison-shoulder.html

and the block pit...

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/12/smoked-venison-shoulder-chipotle-pork.html

they are great for fajitas!

I do love backstrap too. :thumb:

Just WOW Again cowgirl! That looks like a good size shoulder. Nice harvest and Great Cook all the way.

Thank you Toast! This one was not huge but it was tasty. :-D I still have a bit canned and some in the freezer.

Thank you Chicago!

Smokemonster, that is very kind of you...Thanks!

I just remembered, I haven't told you I loved you lately. :) Sorry about that.

I'm just going to assume you shot that deer too, right? You're too much.

I just remembered, I haven't told you I loved you lately. :) Sorry about that.

I'm just going to assume you shot that deer too, right? You're too much.

lol Thanks Jason... :mrgreen:
yes it's a whitetail from last season.

Wow. Looks delicious!

Jason thank you! Hope you're having a great 4th! :-D

Love the open pit action! You are most definitely living right Jeanie!

Back