MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #76
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I ordered the stuff I need to make it last night. When it gets here, it's on!

Question about the Williams chili powder - I saw some stuff that was called Williams Chili Seasoning

Williams Chili Seasoning Bulk Mix 18 oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21HC06SMH2L.@@AMEPARAM@@21HC06SMH2L

Is that what yer talking about?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #77
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I just realized that there are 11 ingredients in Foil Hat Rub and that is an odd number. Until now, it was my favorite rub, but what am I to do? It sure would be nice if you could adjust the recipe so there are only 8 ingredients. If I go on using it, I'll be known as a loser .... What's that? Too late, you say?
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #78
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I ordered the stuff I need to make it last night. When it gets here, it's on!

Question about the Williams chili powder - I saw some stuff that was called Williams Chili Seasoning

Williams Chili Seasoning Bulk Mix 18 oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Is that what yer talking about?
Yes, that's the stuff. My bad for calling it the wrong thing. They carry it at Sam's here, but it's made locally (they are within rock throwing distance of my house, if you use a big slingshot).
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #79
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I just realized that there are 11 ingredients in Foil Hat Rub and that is an odd number. Until now, it was my favorite rub, but what am I to do? It sure would be nice if you could adjust the recipe so there are only 8 ingredients. If I go on using it, I'll be known as a loser .... What's that? Too late, you say?
Gore, I hate to break the news to you, but you will no longer be able to eat Prime Rib, because as we all know Prime numbers are all odd numbers, except for 2, which is not 8 which would be ideal. Sorry.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #80
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Gore, I hate to break the news to you, but you will no longer be able to eat Prime Rib, because as we all know Prime numbers are all odd numbers, except for 2, which is not 8 which would be ideal. Sorry.
I think I'd be ok with an 8-rib roast.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #81
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yep, you sucked me into trying this as well. It has been on my list but I have always put it off. It just so happened that I was out and about last night at Sam's looking at the spices when I realized I needed to make up some more rub. Someone had posted in this thread yesterday so it was fresh in my head. So, after Sam's came a trip to Whole Foods. Holy Fark! I spent $16 and didn't even get the dulse granules because they were out. Have you ever tried to mimic herbamare? Also, aside from tracking down the dulse, the only thing I would have to order would be the Barker chile powder. Would there be a comparable local substitute?
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #82
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

Yep, this is not a hot rub. This is my all purpose rub that even the weenies (my wife) can tolerate. I made it that way after taking some sage advice that not everyone likes getting their tongue blasted, but everyone likes flavor. I'm a chile head so all my rubs a few years back tended toward the hot end of the spectrum.

We put it on damn near everything here. Except for when we are trying to dwindle down the supply of other rubs we have on hand!
The fact it's not a hot rub is the reason my wife likes it. I can handle the heat, but if she try's a seasoning or rub and it makes her tongue tingle, she will not go for it.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #83
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Yep, you sucked me into trying this as well. It has been on my list but I have always put it off. It just so happened that I was out and about last night at Sam's looking at the spices when I realized I needed to make up some more rub. Someone had posted in this thread yesterday so it was fresh in my head. So, after Sam's came a trip to Whole Foods. Holy Fark! I spent $16 and didn't even get the dulse granules because they were out. Have you ever tried to mimic herbamare? Also, aside from tracking down the dulse, the only thing I would have to order would be the Barker chile powder. Would there be a comparable local substitute?
That sucks that they were out of Dulse Granules.

That Whole Paycheck place is rough on the wallet indeed, that's why you might want to look online.

I have not tried to mimic Herbamare because it would be very difficult. The way they do it, they take the juice from a bunch of flavorful fresh herbs and vegetables, mix it with salt and then dry the salt out. So you wind up with only white salt granules, but they have flavor in them that is unlike anything else.

Your best substitute option for the Barker chile powder is going with a really good New Mexico Chile Powder. You could make your own if you want. I used to do this actually, until I got the Barker from Da Gift Basket. I thought it worked better.

Duh.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #84
colonel00

Interesting, I have not tried teh Herbamare yet. I just read the ingredients and they seemed to be pretty common components in rubs. Luckily I have a friend that works at Whole Second Mortgage so he is trying to find me the dulse granules and he can get me stuff when I need it again at a discount.

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #85
Gore
Phizzy

The Herbamare is a common product in Canada. They have it at the regular grocery stores and it is dirt cheap, at least compared to what they sell it for here. That said, did I remember to buy any and bring it back with me on any of my last trips? Dulse is also a Nova Scotia product. Chris, are you sure you're from Kansas?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #86
colonel00

Quote:
Chris, are you sure you're from Kansas?
I just want to know why a staunch right-winger was spending so much time in a hippie-filled Whole Foods

He was probably admiring their organic avocado selection

Old 01-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #87
bigabyte

Vegans taste good.

Duh.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #88
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
The Herbamare is a common product in Canada. They have it at the regular grocery stores and it is dirt cheap, at least compared to what they sell it for here. That said, did I remember to buy any and bring it back with me on any of my last trips? Dulse is also a Nova Scotia product. Chris, are you sure you're from Kansas?
If you're not in Kansas anymore, then you might be able to ask the Wizard
about the Herbamare.......just follow the Yellow Brick Road........

Old 01-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #89
bigabyte

I guess that explains the flying monkeys. And Guerry.

Duh.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #90
gtr

Where did the monkeys fly out of?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Foil Hat, Foil Hat Rub, recipe, rub, Rub Recipe