MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

Default IQue 110 vs. PartyQ

I'm going to buy a pit temperature control device for my UDS for Xmas. I know it may not be necessary but it will relieve some anxiety (although mostly unwarranted) on overnight cooks and give me better sleep.

I like the PartyQ's digital readout and the fact that it comes from a trusted name in BBQ - BBQ guru. But I'm concerned about it being able to go all night during a cold Chicago winter on battery power. Is the fan big enough and how long do the batteries last?

I like the IQue 110 because I've heard others' testimonies about it's use in a UDS and I can plug it into the wall. I would like a digital readout to understand what is going on though.

I can only buy one. What say you?

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Xpert510
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I was thinking about the same Xmas gift for a UDS as well... The partyQ seems like an awesome product at a great price especially considering I often use my drum quite far from a power source. But Im wondering... will it fit into that adapter that bbqguru sells that connects to the ball valve? the unit will be on the ground and not that far from the bottom of the drum (where most of the heat is) will that be OK? Kinda concerned about accidentally kicking it or stepping on it. I have been searching for pictures or reviews from people using it on a UDS and really have found anything...
Xpert510 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Bigg Higg's BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Digital Read out and plug in power.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...2688ea40fb61da

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~ Thomas Edison[/COLOR][/LEFT]
Bigg Higg's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

I got the Ique 110 and it is within two degrees of my Maverick Et732 when set on 275. The. Maverick is battery powered and went 15 hours with no issue...

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker. Rehomed
Brinkman electric. Rehomed
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
Little Chief electric smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Soulman1282
On the road to being a farker

I don't have one, but I'm with Bigg Higg on the Auber Ins. controller. It's priced along the lines of the PartyQ, has a plug, and a digital read out. They seem like a well established company that makes quality equipment. Not so sure about the IQue. Seems like a guy making them in his garage, but I have heard they work well, so...

Old 12-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
muidaq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman1282 View Post
I don't have one, but I'm with Bigg Higg on the Auber Ins. controller. It's priced along the lines of the PartyQ, has a plug, and a digital read out. They seem like a well established company that makes quality equipment. Not so sure about the IQue. Seems like a guy making them in his garage, but I have heard they work well, so...
3rd. Have it. Love it. Works like a champ.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
Eatin Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

I've got the IQ110 & Auber.........Both are excellent and work perfectly but I tend to use my Auber more for the digital readout.
Eatin Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpert510 View Post
But Im wondering... will it fit into that adapter that bbqguru sells that connects to the ball valve? the unit will be on the ground and not that far from the bottom of the drum (where most of the heat is) will that be OK? Kinda concerned about accidentally kicking it or stepping on it. I have been searching for pictures or reviews from people using it on a UDS and really have found anything...
I have this adapter that I use on my UDS (3/4" ball valve) with a Guru Competitor. It is a high quality product that fits well.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/3...d-Adaptor.html

Congress is like 2 drunks arguing about the bar tab on the Titanic.

Last edited by morgaj1; 12-16-2011 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: Forgot the website
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

I vote iQue110. I've used it on WSM and on a Bubba. The WSM was easy, but the Bubba (or Kamodo style) can run away very easy if you are trying to do long cooks. But it runs great!
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #10
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I've been playing with an iQue on one of our drums. This may be the same with the other gizmos, but you have to start your fire SMALL. Let the fan do the work to bring the temp up to where you want it. It's great at bringing the temp up, but not so great bringing it back down.
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytmouz View Post
I got the Ique 110 and it is within two degrees of my Maverick Et732 when set on 275. The. Maverick is battery powered and went 15 hours with no issue...
I have this same set up. Works for me. IQ 110 & ET-732

Old 12-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
Xpert510
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
I have this adapter that I use on my UDS (3/4" ball valve) with a Guru Competitor. It is a high quality product that fits well.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/3...d-Adaptor.html
I noticed on their website that they have many adapters for their products (like this as well http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/V...e-Adaptor.html ) but its unclear to me whether or not the partyQ can attach to that adapter. In this section on the partyQ page (Please select your grill to see the PartyQ thats right for you:) it does not list Ugly Drum. I guess thats why I've been searching the web and trying to find if anyone has used the partyQ on the drum. Also, as a side question kinda wondering if people still run their chimneys wide open on the drums when using a automatic temp control device.
Xpert510 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I bought my IQ 110 with the WSM adapter. It will also fit a kettle. Looks like a bowl. To attach it to the UDS I went to HD and bought a 1" to 3/4" reducer fitting for $3. The 1" plastic fitting on the "bowl adapter" screws into the reducer. I could use it on either cooker. So far only on the UDS.

If you have a weber one touch kettle, it says to tape up 2 of the bottom cleaning slots and use the WSM adapter or drill a 7/8" hole in your kettle side. I wouldn't want to drill that big of a hole in mine. The paint chips real easy when drilling a weber.

I found a old weber kettle on CL with the 3 vents in the bottom. I plan to use that kettle for the IQ if needed.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #14
accuseal
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
I bought my IQ 110 with the WSM adapter. It will also fit a kettle. Looks like a bowl. To attach it to the UDS I went to HD and bought a 1" to 3/4" reducer fitting for $3. The 1" plastic fitting on the "bowl adapter" screws into the reducer. I could use it on either cooker. So far only on the UDS.

If you have a weber one touch kettle, it says to tape up 2 of the bottom cleaning slots and use the WSM adapter or drill a 7/8" hole in your kettle side. I wouldn't want to drill that big of a hole in mine. The paint chips real easy when drilling a weber.

I found a old weber kettle on CL with the 3 vents in the bottom. I plan to use that kettle for the IQ if needed.
If you put some duct tape on the bowl prior to drilling, it won't chip.
accuseal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
nexpress
Full Fledged Farker

I have the Ique 110 and paired it with the Maverick ET732. Both run
great.