MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #16
BBQpower
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : POWER

Kosher Salt
Paprika
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Fresh Garlic

Depending on how you like the cook I do it 2 ways:
First way constantly flip and sear the sides for 20 minutes with a 3" round cut for a rare center and well cooked 1" around the center.
or
I sear for 5 minutes first, to seal in the moisture, only the meat side leaving the fat cap alone. Trim off any grissle but leave as much fat as I can. Then move to indirect cooking at 250f till the center is about 160, I like well done.
at the end of either cooking method, wrap with foil and rest for 10 minutes before cutting.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #17
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

I'm not a big fan of smoking Tri Tip. I grill on the kettle. Olive Oil, Sea Salt and Pepper about an hour before. I grill about 40 minutes turning it every 5 minutes. Let rest for 15 - 20 min nice med. rare. Like the man above said " Don't over Cook ". Just my 2cents.
UDS, Yellow 22", 2008 Weber Ranch, SS Blue Performer, 18" Blue Platinum, Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #18
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

I've cooked tri tip every way from Sunday and prefer to cook them direct until I get a nice crust on each side then move them indirect until they hit 130*. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes and cut across the grain. The reverse sear also works great but if your not paying attention, you could over cook it before you get your crust. Since the crust is the best part, I make sure I get it first.

I also coat with EVOO then season with The Rub Co. Santa Maria Style rub and some times add another layer of The Rub Co. Original Rub. More than anything, DON'T over cook it and DON'T cut with the grain. If you avoid those two items, it will turn out great no matter how you cook it.

Here is what they usually look like.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #19
ALLENY
Full Fledged Farker

I am new to the bbq brethren, can somebody tell me what evoo is?
ALLENY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #20
inv3ctiv3
is one Smokin' Farker

3 hours!? Jesus that seems like way too much, tri tip is not brisket and doesn't really smoke all that well. I cook mine over oak for 45minutes to an hour in direct at 300ish then reverse sear and it always turns out great. Throw the rub on an hour or so before and you'll be good.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #21
PaddyKC
On the road to being a farker

Wow so much info thanks guys! I may have to sear one and reverse sear the other.....

Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #22
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #23
LoveBBQ

Until recently I didn't know I could get tri tips in this area other than the Mortons pre-marinated one from Costco. We always cook them indirect between 300-350* then slide them over the heat for a quick flare up to sear. They turn out perfect and the flavor is amazing!

Old 06-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #24
TheMidnightSmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv3ctiv3 View Post
3 hours!? Jesus that seems like way too much, tri tip is not brisket and doesn't really smoke all that well. I cook mine over oak for 45minutes to an hour in direct at 300ish then reverse sear and it always turns out great. Throw the rub on an hour or so before and you'll be good.
You are correct-TT is not a Brisket but I smoke mine all the time and the flavor is excellent. Just a nice kiss of smoke really makes a difference.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #25
Bone In
Got Wood.

all of the tips above are exactly how I have been doing them..and they are awesome..

for something different drizzle lemon olive oil on the meat after its sliced..sound strange but its great..

gonna have to go buy a tri tip on the way home..thanks!!

Old 06-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #26
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

The last time I did a tri tip I argued with myself whether to do it on the kettle or WSM (oh for a Santa Maria grill). Finally chose the WSM and cooked with no water pan or lid. Got a pretty healthy lump fire going then added some oak wood with flames at first licking the bottom of my uppermost grill before settling down. Flipping occasionally it took about an hour and had a great crust on the outside and great flavor. I use EVOO and Hitching Post's Magic Dust for seasoning. Loves me some tri tip.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #27
PaddyKC

Tri-Tip came out pretty taste!!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #28
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

I Just GOTTA direct you to the Tri-Tip Master Cut TD that was done earlier this year.

I won it with my very first attempt at Tri-Tip, so you can rest assured that there is some good stuff here, and that you can turn out a super Tri-Tip with no experience.... as long as you do your research!

By asking, you are doing your research!

Cheers and Good Luck!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 02:54 AM   #29
PaddyKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
I Just GOTTA direct you to the Tri-Tip Master Cut TD that was done earlier this year.

I won it with my very first attempt at Tri-Tip, so you can rest assured that there is some good stuff here, and that you can turn out a super Tri-Tip with no experience.... as long as you do your research!

By asking, you are doing your research!

Cheers and Good Luck!

Bill
Thanks, I would have to say mine looks pretty darn good then!! Loved trying the reverse sear. If I had one of those probes, I think I could take it to a whole nother level! Got to try some reverse sear prime rib-eyes!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #30
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Paddy- a lot of us do the reverse sear because of our smoker. Its easier to raise the temp and keep good smoke than it is to lower temps on many smokers. You don't have that problem on your OJL. I do like the reverse sear as it allows me to get the exact bark I'm looking for
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote