MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default All About RIBS!

RIBS!(Beef, Pork.....) Everything you ever wanted to know, ask, and share when it comes to meat on a stick!
The purpose behind this thread is to eventually create one general thread that any member can refer to and find information about RIBS! In this thread you can share advice, tips, tricks, techniques like 3-2-1, foil no foil, membrane removal, etc., success stories, failures, non pron posts, pron only posts, to simply ask a quick question that requires a simple answer and not an entire thread about it, or even link to your favorite rib threads already on this forum. The idea is to keep the thread constantly evolving with information about RIBS!

(If it works, I'll create other threads for brisket, pork butt, chicken, etc in the next few weeks.) The other reason behind it is to have one main thread that will pop up when conducting a search that will provide a bulk of the GREAT information that is already out there about the topic, but in consolidated form, to new members, lurkers, etc.......kinda like the UDS thread is now. Plus, it will have new and current information as well. I also hope to highlight the great information that is located in Roadmaps, but that most may not know exists, to highlight some great threads that are already out there on the subject, and to share a little on my part.)

Here's a link to the All About BRISKET! thread.

I'll start off by sharing the links and member comments in our Roadmap Forum on Ribs which already have some great information to start off with.

Pork Ribs
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6963
Good info on the 3-2-1 rib technique.
Post subject: farked up $15 worth of spares PostPosted: Oct 06, 2003 - 02:04 PM

Poobanian Rack Attack. (Babyback sammich)
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18055

Clarification of 3-2-1 Method
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9030
Posted: Aug 08, 2004 - 07:50 AM
Help for a Novice by Mrkkti

Here's a favorite Short Beef Rib thread of mine by SmokinAussie:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100623&highlight=beef+ribs

Pron Heavy Rib Thread from our Throwdown Forum:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...highlight=ribs

And some of my rib pron. I'm more of a beef rib and pork rib tip kinda guy:

Okay, now it's your turn!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 08-11-2015 at 09:20 AM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Cool. I'll be the first to toss in some STL Pron:

Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
BobBrisket

How about some feedback on the rubs and sauce/glaze? Any thoughts on using a mustard slather vs. not using it?

I'd hit that!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
How about some feedback on the rubs and sauce/glaze? Any thoughts on using a mustard slather vs. not using it?

I'd hit that!

Bob
I like the mustard slather. I let my ribs "marinate" in the rub overnight. When I use the mustard slather, it creates a really pasty goo all over the ribs that makes a good bark on the ribs during the cook. It also seems to increase the brightness of the smoke ring in the ribs, which, while I don't think it adds to the flavor, sure looks cool.

As for rubs, I use my own. I've just never found a commercial rub that has the same flavor profile I put in mine.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Harry Soo's Slap Yo Daddy Rib attempt with St. Louis cut:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=93374

Harry Soo's Slap Yo Daddy Rib attempt with BBs:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=104221
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Cool thread!

I'm a ribs on the flat - unwrapped style cooker. I usually use a BGE but have cooked a lot on live fire as well. I season with a Garlic/Salt/Pepper on the bone side and then something more interesting on the meat side. Of course I trim to a hard St. Louis line and remove both the membrane and soft bones on the end.

I do spritz with apple juice and some other sweet & savory ingredients several times during the cook.

I typically don't sauce backyard ribs, but absolutely do for contests.

Here ya go...

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow, that's some great info. Thanks, Bob. The pron is great, too. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my ribs "shiny" - can anyone throw me a BONE on that one? (pun intended)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
BobBrisket

For those of you that prefer the STL style, how do you use all of the trimmings? Thanks for participating.

Bob

Old 04-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
chambersuac

Quote:
For those of you that prefer the STL style, how do you use all of the trimmings? Thanks for participating.

Bob
I smoke them with the ribs and use them as cook snacks and/or to season my Pinto beans.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Bob
OMG... I use them for EVRYTHING. In my beans like Chambersauce, ground up and mixed in with beef for awesome burgers, as a BBQ pizza topping, shredded up inside enchiladas...Oh... and I munch on 'em too while the rest of the slabs finish cooking.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
Ken V
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
Wow, that's some great info. Thanks, Bob. The pron is great, too. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my ribs "shiny" - can anyone throw me a BONE on that one? (pun intended)
I could Dan....but I dont want to

Ken
Cubby blue Thermapen
UDS
XL UDS
22.5" weber X 2
Ken V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
Fife
On the road to being a farker

Looks great and thanks for the info

Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
Thinned out honey and even fruit preserves will accomplish this. I think the key is in the application though, right at the very end.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
Boshizzle

Great pr0n and info already! Here is how I cook the STL trimmings. I slice them about 3/4 thick perpendicular to the cartilage. Then, I rub them just like ribs and let them sit until they start to sweat which is usually about a 1/2 hour.

Once they are ready, I put them in the smoker at 275 degrees F and cook them for about 1 hour. Then, I wrap them in foil with a little liquid like AJ and let them cook another 2 hours and then I check them for tenderness. If they are tender I pull them out of the cooker. If not, I let them cook another 30 minutes and check them again. I repeat the process until they are at the tenderness I like.

I foil them pretty fast because they have a tendency to dry out. This method has always resulted in tender juicy rib tips.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
Drew
Full Fledged Farker

Love ribs, could eat them every day!

Thanks from:--->