• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

critique this pork? (lots of pics)

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
By far our lowest scores have been in pork.I think we have our timing right now so that we aren't turning in mush. However, I usually go brain dead when it comes to presentation. Could you look over these pics and give some critique? I have two variations on money muscle - which do you think looks better? Can you comment on color, size of pieces and the look of the sauce? (and whatever else you see)?
First set:
DSC01242.jpg

DSC01243.jpg

Second set of money muscle:
DSC01244.jpg

DSC01245.jpg

Monty,

Here's my $0.02.

I like the second photo where the face of the slices are toward me and the chuncks are on the right side. I like the sizes of the chunks. They look about right. As far as color goes, I like mine a little darker on the chunks, but not as dark as the tops of the money muscle. I think the top color of the MM is a little too dark. Now remember I say all of this and you still finish higher than I usually do. :laugh:

I like the 1st pics of the slices and would add some bark in chunks. Also don't over sauce, I think I have the same stuff.

The pictures look ok to me. Look at your past scores. Is the appearance really what caused your low score.

I had the same issues, and the real problem was my taste profile.

Our scores were low all around on pork. It was the only category we didn't get a call in last year. I wish I could add a taste function to this forum!!!! :becky:

To me the MM slices look a little thin, you may want cut them a bit thicker if you can.
The sauce on the chunks is a little too much but don't cut back too much on them.

I would turn in pork sammies at C.B. if I were you.
Little thicker on the mm and maybe not so dark on the bark.

1) Clean up the strings and fat on your pulled pieces
2) Unless there is bark on the back side of the chunks, you need more bark and present them with the bark up
3) MM in the first 3 pics is too short, cut deeper into the roast or use bigger MM
4) I doubt the 7 chunks you have and the MM you show will make a box that looks full

You're missing some great pulled pieces from the muscles around the bone. Look for meatier chunks that give judges both tasty bark and the uber tender meat. Also, don't be afraid to include the ends on the MM if they are tender. Sometimes, those are the best pieces in the box.

Gotcha. What about the size and shape of the chunks? DO they make sense? Should they be more like pulled pork or would adding a bunch like this do the trick.

Mike and Paul, for some reason my "thanks" button isn't showing up - so thanks!!

Gotcha. What about the size and shape of the chunks? DO they make sense? Should they be more like pulled pork or would adding a bunch like this do the trick.

The key for me is to make sure every single chunk I put in the box is uber tender when it goes in the box. Some of pieces will harden when they cool. We finger test every piece multiple times in the process of sorting and selecting. If I'm cooking two butts, there's usually not alot of extra candidates. I shoot for thumb size pieces (I have fat thumbs) that have a lot of bark and usually end up with some bigger pieces. If the pieces are not thick enough, the bark makes them too tough. Each piece has to have bark on it and each piece needs to be uber tender.

And for pieces where you use a knife or scissors to cut, I suggest hiding the clean sliced end under some more natural looking pieces.

There are some great pork threads with pics in this forum if you search for them.

One thing to add to Paul's list.... you should thin out your sauce just a bit with a little apple juice or liquid of your choice. That will keep the meat from looking so saucy.

Great comments so far, only thing I would add is that in the second photo, there looks to be a BIG piece of fat in the middle right side of the MM slice. If that doesn't fully render out and the judge gets a big bite of fat (say they eat from that end) then you scores will go down big time.

Size and shape of the chunks looks about perfect to me. I suggest
filling up the turn in box as much as reasonable/possible. Do that with
pulled pork or more chunks. Set your best looking/tasting pieces on top.

And, what SmokinOkie said about fat. Try, as much as possible, to have NO FAT in the box.

I, for one, and being of a judge persuasion, HATE pork fat, but LOOOOOVE pork. :)

On sauce, they're not judging the sauce, perse. It should compliment the flavor of the meat,
but not overpower it. That's the other reason they're talking about thinning it earlier. Not too
much sauce.

Back