MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #4816
shifferem
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Ron View Post
Check out my lid clips. They are the giat office binder clips for temporary purpose, Still need to decide a final solution for that. I also added a couple of shelf supports for a future project. I'm planning on doing another barrel and connecting them with a shelf that's big enough for at least a full size pan. Probably build a cart/wagon for them for easy moving, hopefully, that will come in the spring.

All in all, I'm happy with it. I'll be glad to find out how it cooks.

Open to any and all feed back. Want to thank everyone on here for the great info and step by step pictures/instructions.

Looks great! I like the clips.. i don't think I would change those out.....

Old 01-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #4817
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboxx View Post
Quick question:

finishing my UDS (pictures coming soon). Anyway, I had a reconditioned drum that had been previously bead blasted, so I drilled all the holes and welded in the 3/4 nipples. After that, I burned out the inside using an oxy acetylene torch, raising the temp on the barrel to + 500 f. once that was done I washed it with a steam cleaner.

Now for the question; My drum has rusted on the inside before I've had the chance to season it. Do I have to sand out all the rust again? or can I season it and not worry about it?

Thanks,
ps. Love this forum!
Don't worry dude, just use it already. No need to get rid of the rust.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #4818
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Smoking Ron, Looking good!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #4819
PStan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

FYI... Just got back from the local Wally World and they have the 22.5" replacement grates for $12.00. I do not believe they are as heavy duty as the Weber replacements but they are pretty nice for the price
PStan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #4820
PStan

Default Finally Found

I finally located a drum this past weekend . Now I am in the process of collecting all of the needed parts to put it all together once I get the burn out done. The drum has a thing brown/tan lining that should burn out easily since it is already scratched down to bare metal in one spot on the bottom. Here are some cell phone pics.

One of these days I will finish painting that door and wall

PStan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #4821
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Painting the wall goes better with q smoke!
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master

Old 01-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #4822
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PStan View Post
I finally located a drum this past weekend . Now I am in the process of collecting all of the needed parts to put it all together once I get the burn out done. The drum has a thing brown/tan lining that should burn out easily since it is already scratched down to bare metal in one spot on the bottom. Here are some cell phone pics.

One of these days I will finish painting that door and wall

"One of these days I will finish painting that door and wall "

You do know you do have to have priorities don't you??? DRUM first!!

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #4823
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PStan View Post
FYI... Just got back from the local Wally World and they have the 22.5" replacement grates for $12.00. I do not believe they are as heavy duty as the Weber replacements but they are pretty nice for the price
I grabbed one of those for mine, very flimsy. Sears Hardware had one for $10.99, I'm probably going to go grab a couple of of those, they seemed a lot sturdier.

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #4824
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

HD and Lowe's have genuine Weber replacements for only a couple bucks more. Just picked up a 22.5" hinged replacement the other day for $19.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #4825
T-Bird
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb25 View Post
HD and Lowe's have genuine Weber replacements for only a couple bucks more. Just picked up a 22.5" hinged replacement the other day for $19.
Ditto. I think the standard, unhinged is $17
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #4826
dboxx

Talking Seasoning with a Jack on the rocks

OK!

Couldn't wait, so I brought my drum home from work and lathered it up with lard. Removed all the caps and the valve and fired it up with around 8 lbs. of charcoal. it's chugging along at around 500. I can hear the lard bubbling and cooking off.

The only downside: the lid I spent forever trying to get to fit perfect has now developed a "twist" and doesn't sit flush. It touches all the way around, just not metal to metal like it was. I guess some more hammer adjustments are in order.

Come Saturday it's on!

As soon as I get the pix off my camera, I'll post with comments.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum!
dboxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #4827
dboxx

Default Seasoning update

550 and running strong! (approximately 2 hours since ignition)

Old 01-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #4828
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Default mineral oil drum

I just finished reading the whole thread last night. I got a Free unlined food grade mineral oil drum from a bakery I deliver to. Question is what do I have to do to the drum before I start my build? Do I have to burn it out or can I just season it with the oil that is in it ?
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #4829
dboxx

Default First cook.

just fired up the UDS. I'm using Kingsford competition and hickory chunks. Letting temp stabilize and then I'll throw on the pork shoulder.

Since I'm watching the grill today, I'll get the pictures off my camera and post some build shots.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #4830
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Question on computing COST of building my UDS. I just purchased an oxygen-acetylene welding system.

Does this count in my total, or can I split the cost amoung future UDS that I may or may not build?
[/LEFT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker