MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #4441
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

Burk,

There's no reason that you can't lay it on it's side to burn it again.

You may have burned it to a point that the remaining liner is "loose" and can be easily knocked off with a wire wheel or a flap wheel on a grinder. You might also consider a weed burner for that last bit of burn.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #4442
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schellter View Post
Paul,

I find that stainless is hard to keep looking nice, my SS Weber always looks like it needs work. How do you keep your SSDS looking so bright and shinny?
Since I got it about 6 or 7 months ago I haven't touched the outside. I think it is so shinney that it just appears to be clean. Also, since the purchase it hasn't spent one day inside or covered!! I now cover it only because some of the brethern have stated that if it were in their backyards it wouldn't last 5 minutes....it would grow legs and be gone. I got nervous and started covering it just so it wouldn't stand out . Glad you all enjoy my SS UDS.

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2009, 07:48 PM   #4443
GusRobin
Got Wood.

Went to Dollar General to buy a cheap bbq to use as a ash container and picked one up on clearance for $1.18. Saw a 22.5 kettle grill normally $50 - got it for $5. The charcoal grate was too cheap so I bought a weber replacement, but the kettle lid fit completely over the lip of my drum. Rained today so I couldn't burn the barrel but had all the parts and couldn't wait to build. So I built it figuring tomorrow I'll remove the grills, etc and burn the barrel. Unfortunately as I was building discovered the batteries in the camera were dead. Too into building to get batteries so no pictures yet. Did have one question. I willl want to paint it - anyone recommend a good paint? Ii have a good spayer so I am looking not looking for a spray can type. Thanks in advance and for all the help I got off the good posts.
GusRobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #4444
chaddie
Full Fledged Farker

WOW... HOLY SHIP HIGH IN TRANSIT !!!! One week later and finished reading ALL pages of the bible. I started collecting materials before reading and sooo happy I stumbled into your forum and joined. ALL the kewl info here is going to help make my build go sweeet!! THANKS ALL Will keep posting in future.
chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #4445
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Since I got it about 6 or 7 months ago I haven't touched the outside. I think it is so shinney that it just appears to be clean. Also, since the purchase it hasn't spent one day inside or covered!! I now cover it only because some of the brethern have stated that if it were in their backyards it wouldn't last 5 minutes....it would grow legs and be gone. I got nervous and started covering it just so it wouldn't stand out . Glad you all enjoy my SS UDS.

Paul B
Paint the outside of the drum with mustard and ketchup then really fire up the drum. That should ugly it up properly.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #4446
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Paint the outside of the drum with mustard and ketchup then really fire up the drum. That should ugly it up properly.
I'll let it get ugly on its own!!!

Paul B

Old 11-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #4447
stevemiller
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default How large a fire

I think I red on one of the 150 pages I have red that people are having low temp problems because of to small of a starting fire. I am having problems with low temp. I have a 17" Weber grill with 6" of spread metal for the side.It is raised 2 1/2" above pizza pan. I have a 2" ex. and 3 (3/4") intake. Can any one help me get on the right track?
stevemiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #4448
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Steve, do you run it with all three intakes open? What temps does it top out at?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #4449
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller View Post
I think I red on one of the 150 pages I have red that people are having low temp problems because of to small of a starting fire. I am having problems with low temp. I have a 17" Weber grill with 6" of spread metal for the side.It is raised 2 1/2" above pizza pan. I have a 2" ex. and 3 (3/4") intake. Can any one help me get on the right track?
"I have red that people are having low temp problems because of to small of a starting fire."

Not true!! If you start with too much fire you will have a h$ll of a time getting temps back down. Best to start slow and watch the temp come up and damper down the intakes as the temp approaches your target temp. My first run on my drum I lit waaaay too many coals and had run away temps that I was never able to get back down(no food on drum). My next attempt I only used about 8 lit coals on top of about 10 lbs of unlit. By the time I got the basket of coals in and the two grates installed I was burning my hand and arm. I about 10 mins or less I had my temp of about 230*.

Go slow............

Paul B

Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #4450
highchief
Found some matches.

So, mine is built and christened.
Burned:

Folded the lip of the charbroil lid out and hammered it back down around the lip of the barrel. Afterwards I painted it it so it wouldn't rust because the ceramic finish cracked off in the bending and shaping process

Started off as a cranberry juice drum. The inside was primed and the fire didn't get all of the paint off of the inside but it got most of it off of the outside. So i got inside and got dirty:

got some free exhaust pipe for the intake and I had some exhaust flanges laying around. I welded some sheetmetal over one of the flanges for the damper:

This triangle holds my small charcoal basket off of the bottom for a slow cook. For steaks and burgers is raises the basket up for a hot fast flame-kissed cook. The large intake let's it get really hot, and I don't think it needed to be even that big (2.5") but free is free. I need to build a bigger charcoal basket for cooks longer than 5-6 hours at low temps.

The u-bolts are at 24" from the bottom of the tripod when it's on the bottom, so they serve double duty acting as the lower deck if I have enough food to require to decks to cook on.

Two racks ready for cooking

during:

And ready to come off, 4 hours later:

I'm really happy with the way they came out. This is my first slow and low cook with wood chips and charcoal. I started the fire small, caught the temps on the way up and 235 degrees was easily maintained.

I am going to add wheels and a shelf to it and give it a flame paint job. Thanks for all of the info everyone.
--jeremy
highchief is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #4451
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Highchief- Looks good, Keep it Smokin'!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #4452
jaronimo
Full Fledged Farker

Highchief, good job. i like your tripod idea. i may have to work that into a build.

[SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Wood fired pizza oven,Copper Weber Gold, Green Weber Performer, Black Weber Silver, Green logo'd 18 inch Weber Gold, and a UDS of course.

[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][URL]http://cookinginmyyard.com/[/URL][/SIZE]
jaronimo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #4453
Coach_Mac
Knows what a fatty is.

I got some drums that contained bags of water soluble fertilizer. The guys says they are not hazardous....are these safe to make a uds out of????
Coach_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #4454
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

I wish there was a way to know for sure if a drum is hazardous or not. I've noticed mine is surprisingly cool when smoking- you can touch it without getting burnt. I would think at those temperatures, very little more could leach out after a good healthy burn-out. Unfortunately, I don't know for sure. I have a friend who wants one, and I'd love to build him one, but short of coming up with another SS drum, or popping for a brand new one, I'd hate to poison him and his family!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #4455
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Nice looking build. I like the grill basket support.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker