In Progress: Replicating A Bird to the Wise from Jason's Deli

colonel00

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For those that have had one, I assume I do not need to explain my intentions. For those that have not had one, A Bird to the Wise is a sandwich from Jason's Deli which is basically just turkey and pastrami with a slice of swiss cheese on a bun with your choice of mayo or mustard. It is absolutely delicious but as the nutritional stats show, it can be deadly too :shocked:

Picture from the internet, not mine.
jasonsdeliol3.jpg

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 sandwich = 466 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 1491 Calories from Fat 1017
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 113 g 174%
Saturated Fat 49 g 245%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 263 mg 88%
Sodium 2053 mg 86%
Total Carbohydrate 49 g 16%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 7 g 15%
Protein 71 g 142%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs

So, I have a pastrami and a turkey breast rolling along on the UDS. Nothing too fancy. The pastrami is a store bought corned brisket point that I soaked for 24 hours to reduce the salt content. I got a point this time because it was $1/lb cheaper than the corned flats. However, after trimming off some of the excess fat, I am wondering if it was really a better deal in the end. Anyway, after the soak I made up a simple rub based off of Third Eye's recipe found here. For the turkey, I used a little bit of the left over pastrami rub along with my general purpose rub. Since I plan to slice thin, I wanted to get a good flavor on the outside.

IMAG0810.jpg

IMAG0811.jpg

IMAG0812.jpg

Almost done cooking

IMAG0813.jpg

Last edited:
Coming along nicely. Will let them cook a bit longer then pull to rest and cool for slicing.

IMAG0813.jpg

That's my favorite sandwich from Jason's. I'm anxious to see how this turns out.

That looks awesome Brad!

I can't wait to see the progress of this cook :thumb:

Getting closer. After the meat rested for a bit I had to run to my buddy's house since I was watching his dog while he was out of town. Conveniently he had the meat slicer...

IMAG0814.jpg

IMAG0816.jpg

IMAG0815.jpg

IMAG0820.jpg

Alright, I finally finished scarfing down my delicious sandwich and got the pics up loaded.

The only thing I was missing from the original sandwich was an onion roll but I did not feel like picking up a package of them just for this sandwich as I am not the biggest fan. So, I grabbed a sub roll, split it down the middle and then applied a decent layer of mayo.

IMAG0822.jpg

IMAG0823.jpg

Then the swiss cheese.

IMAG0824.jpg

Next was a good layer of pastrami on both sides.

IMAG0825.jpg

Then a good helping of turkey.

DSCN1266.jpg

Then off to the toaster to warm everything up (lazy mod). Sliced and ready to eat. I didn't go as heavy on the pastrami as they do at the deli but I figured that might help keep the fat content under 100g :shocked:

DSCN1270.jpg

DSCN1278.jpg

DSCN1276.jpg

Yeah, it was delicious. Now what to do with the leftovers :noidea:

One thing I did want to add was that the corned beef and turkey breast only cost me about $10 a piece for the meat. For taking the lazy approach, that isn't too bad and well worth $20 in deli meat. I will definitely be doing this more instead of paying $5/lb+ at the store for deli meat.

Great post! I just had lunch and that is STILL making me hungry. Thanks for the ideas and the great pron. :-D

I would hit that hard and even call it the next day - very nicely done!

Back