You want insulation, check this out

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Most have probably already seen this site for Wilbur D. Hog, a brick pit built by Dave Linebacker.

This site gives pretty good detail and advise if you want to tackle something like this for your yard.

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm

Here's a picture of Wilbur's cousin.

Here's the creator -- anyone know him??

I've seen the site. For the size and effort in involved building it, I think it should hold a lot more meat.

For the size and effort in involved building it, I think it should hold a lot more meat.

You're thinking logically -- I'm thinking 'Q-brain. This is a backyard smoker - make it as large as your budget will allow :D

Besides, it looks like Wilbur took two pork shoulders and has room for a rack to take at least two more -- and of course could be brisket, birds, etc.

Just my opinion but if you need a bigger smoker for your backyard you need to talk to Dave Klose :D Besides, a brick cooker just looks cool. In the words of the country song, "The chicks dig it!"

I love the thing, and I'd build one in my backyard if I thought the wife would approve. I just think he should have added about 3 more courses to the smoke chamber.

Actually, I'll bet She would go for it when we enlarge the patio next year (If we can afford it). I'll propose the addition of an outdoor fireplace. If it get's built in with a nice counter and big dcs monster...

Now your talking with you 'Q-brain.

Brick counters, taller smoke chamber, build an open firepit or setup the burn chamber for "fire place mode" -- put a grill and/or hook in the burn chamber for a chili pot or steak -- whoo buddy, why would you even need an indoor kitchen??

I would build it on a trailer so I can drive around the neighborhood with it

Bill,

Somehow I think you would :D. Can you imagine how heavy this thing would be, you'd need on of Maid Marinades hubby's Kenworth tractors to pull it -- would be a show stopper at competition cook-offs.

We cook outside year round up here, so it's a worthwhile investment. A little rainy, but that don't stop the outdoor cooking. Hell, if you don't do stuff in the rain, you sit around for 9 straight months.

Now to figure out how to change it to work like an offset, so I don't have to shovel coals.

If you build it the neighbors will come...

willkat98 said:

If I built this would my toys finally be cooler than Phil's? :D

Speaking of very large BBQ machines

How you like this cooker?

I have been dreaming of building that sucker since I saw it on the internet several years ago. I have tried to talk several friends that have lake houses at the Ozarks to build one of those suckers - to no avail. Someday my time for Wilber will come along.

OB

I am thinking of sealing off my basement and turning it into a walk in smoke house.

Anyone do the basement smoke house mod?

Anyone do the basement smoke house mod?
Not the basement, but growing up, my dad made a walk-in smokehouse out of an old outhouse. Worked great. He has since turned it into a toolshed, and 20 years later it still smells like smoke.

So there is the outhouse mod.

Not the basement, but growing up, my dad made a walk-in smokehouse out of an old outhouse. Worked great....but the food tasted like $hit :shock:

Back