• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

So I decided to try a brisket...

kds9547

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Haven't cooked one before but when I went in Sams Monday they had some so I picked one up. Did not inject just put a rub on. Threw on the WSM at 225 and wrapped at 145 IT. Pulled at 195 IT and let it rest in the microwave for 2 hours. It was really moist but the bark wasnt what I hoped for. I think I will not wrap next time and see if it is any better. Still pretty good though. Made some awesome sandwiches with leftovers yesterday.

Attachments

• brisket 003.jpg
    brisket 003.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 286
  • brisket 005.jpg
    brisket 005.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 284
  • brisket 009.jpg
    brisket 009.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 285
  • brisket 013.jpg
    brisket 013.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 286
Nice, but, you can get more bark and still wrap. Work with appearance over internal temperatures. To get a better bark, cook unwrapped until the bark is set and dark, almost to the color you want it to be when done. Then wrap and cook until probe tender. You will get a darker, better built bark that way.

That looks really good - great job.

I tend to take my briskets to 165 before I wrap and I start probing at 198 - most go to 200 to 205.

It always surprizes me how quick it is to get to 140 -45 and how long it takes to go from 145 to 165. My briskets tend to camp out around 150 or so.

Nice, but, you can get more bark and still wrap. Work with appearance over internal temperatures. To get a better bark, cook unwrapped until the bark is set and dark, almost to the color you want it to be when done. Then wrap and cook until probe tender. You will get a darker, better built bark that way.

Yep! I never wrap based in internal temp. I wait for the bark to be the color that I like. You bark is very light in color because it was wrapped too soon.

BTW, sharpen your knife! :becky:

bark looks like it was only getting smoke for 3 or 4 hours. I agree with everyone above about wrapping too soon. Also what type of wood were you using?

Thats just ht eflat right? I can get the smoke ring easy, but my brisket always dries out really quick.. I don't wrap.

Yep! I never wrap based in internal temp. I wait for the bark to be the color that I like. You bark is very light in color because it was wrapped too soon.

BTW, sharpen your knife! :becky:

I bought a nice carving knife today for that reason!! :clap2:

Back