MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #16
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

I own both Le Creuset and Staub enameled ovens.
  • Oval works better for me since it fits boned meats better.
  • Bread works best in a round oven.
  • I find Staub exterior finishes to be superior (lusture especially) over time.
  • The black interior of Staub makes staining a non-issue
  • The black interior of Stuab can make cleaning a bit harder since you can't see stuff stuck to the surface as easy, especially in poor light.
  • The spiked lids work pretty well, though they can be a bit hard to clean at times.
  • A 2&3/4qt or 4qt oval is your most versatile option IMHO for normal size small family meals.

A classic Lodge cast iron dutch oven is a SUPER BARGAIN for things like bread, roasts and, hams. Seriously good and cheap! They work well for bread with parchment paper.

If I was forced to have only one enameled dutch oven, it would be a hard choice for me between a Staub 2.75qt and 4.0qt oval because I like the handles, spiked lid, knob and, enamel finish better. That being said, I really like my LC and won't give them up willingly either.

Finally, DO NOT BUY TOO BIG! You do not want a dutch oven filled with scalding hot contents plus the heavy Dutch Oven itself causing a painful accident. If you think a Dutch Oven is heavy empty, try filling it up too! Seriously, don't hurt yourself with a Dutch Oven that is too big to lift safely when "loaded".

Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #17
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryrocker212 View Post
For those with the Le Creuset how well do the insides clean? I have read quite a few things on line about them staining.
Seems fine to me. They're clearly still white, though there's probably a bit of a "patina".

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
cullenbranson
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cullen

Another vote LC. This one is over 10 years old. Here's some chili from last night. Most of the inside bottom still looks like the inside sides you see here, but there is some staining and signs of heavy use. Between this and our Lodge CI skillet, they're used about everyday.

Cleaning is very easy. I still recommend always cooking with some kind of fat. This is a fantastic DO good for almost anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180816_184504 - Copy.jpg (60.3 KB, 325 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #19
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

We have a #8 Griswold, a round lc about the same size as the #8 and an oval lc that is a little larger. I love the Griswold the best but the round lc gets more use just because it lives on the stove. All have been around for years with no problems. Slight discoloration only visible when empty.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #20
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
For those with the Le Creuset how well do the insides clean? I have read quite a few things on line about them staining.
I haven't had staining issues in mine after several batches of caramelized onions for French onion soup or sever cooks of Coq au Vin and Boef Borguignon. Maybe I'm lucky.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #21
countryrocker212
On the road to being a farker

Thanks for the help. I do have a Le Creuset outlet by me and it’s always 30% off there which is huge since you can’t use coupons anywhere on them. I’ll have to find somewhere that has all of them and see which I want I guess.
countryrocker212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #22
BBQ Bacon
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
What is that vessel that you call a bbq pit?
As mentioned, it is a tire rim.
thecanuckfoodie.wordpress.com/
BBQ Bacon is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #23
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

I like my Lodge ceramic enameled over the Le Creuset just for price alone. I really can't tell the difference.

I also have a really, really kickarse old non enameled one inherited from my great grandmother. I have no idea what brand it is, but it's cooked about a 1000 meals of fried chicken over its life. Heavy as fark.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #24
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I do have a Le Creuset outlet by me and it’s always 30% off there which is huge since you can’t use coupons anywhere on them. I’ll have to find somewhere that has all of them and see which I want I guess.
Look and see if you have a Tuesday Mornings around you. I have seen a lot of Staub there, at a pretty good discount.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 PM   #25
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Enameled CI is easier to care for,REAL (unenhanced) CI is almost indestructible.There is a reason they have been around so long.Just depends on how "purist" you are.They both cook wonderfully when properly cared for.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #26
mbricker
Got Wood.

I had the Lodge and it's too small. The bottom curves in and takes away cooking space. I now have the Cuisinart, Cooks Illustrated Best Buy, and I like it a lot. I didn't want to spend the money for the Le Creuset.
mbricker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #27
Imma Chef
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Chef

Best dutch oven? I'd say it's either Le Creuset or Lodge https://cookwareinsider.com/le-creuset-vs-lodge/
Imma Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #28
Smithers1945
Knows what a fatty is.

I did a lot of research on this very topic about a month ago. I ended up getting two Staubs. The black interior means no staining, and the finish is just incredible. I purchased a 9 qt round for stews/chiles and a 5 qt for more everyday use. The only negative I see between Staub and le creuset is the latter has larger handles. Not that noticeable, though.
Smithers1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #29
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I found a #8 Griswold Chicken Fryer and Lid and that work well for me as a Dutch oven. The fact that it will out live me is nice. I also just found Solidteknics and backed one of their kick starter for their USA made pans. Iam really liking the 11 inch pan and Grill/lid combo.

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2019, 10:07 PM   #30
Giantswede
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rod

I’ve been using a Cuisinart enameled cast iron Dutch oven for years. Excellent quality...I’d put it up against any of the fancy shmancy ones. Paid $60 and I think they’re still that price.
Giantswede is offline   Reply With Quote