Do You Foil Turkey?

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Recently saw a Franklin turkey cook vid, where he foiled the turkey for the last 20 or so degrees, give or take. I've never seen this done. I'm assuming he does it to render the skin. Anyone else do this? Does it work?

I’m nowhere near an expert but just for presentation purposes, if it starts getting too dark I’ll tent with foil.

I have started cooking foiled turkey breasts when I cook for a crowd. Two weeks ago I cooked 12 and last week I cooked 8. Results are excellent. It is a lot easier than cooking chicken breast.

I start with frozen boneless, skinless breast. Been using butterball plain because of availability. I brine for 24 hours with buttermilk/salt/sugar.

After rinsing and drying I rub and put on the smoker which is running 225-250. I smoke to 135-140. Then I remove from the smoker and put in a foil pan with lots of butter. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and return to the smoker until they hit 160. Remove let cool a bit and slice.

End product is very juicy and has excellent flavor. Most people have never had turkey breast like this before.

I have started cooking foiled turkey breasts when I cook for a crowd. Two weeks ago I cooked 12 and last week I cooked 8. Results are excellent. It is a lot easier than cooking chicken breast.

I start with frozen boneless, skinless breast. Been using butterball plain because of availability. I brine for 24 hours with buttermilk/salt/sugar.

After rinsing and drying I rub and put on the smoker which is running 225-250. I smoke to 135-140. Then I remove from the smoker and put in a foil pan with lots of butter. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and return to the smoker until they hit 160. Remove let cool a bit and slice.

End product is very juicy and has excellent flavor. Most people have never had turkey breast like this before.

Have to stop you right there. 3/4 of the reason I cook chicken or turkey, is the skin. So lets assume skin on...this whole thing is about the skin.

I haven't seen that video yet, but I am assuming that he was maybe protecting the skin or possibly (this is just a guess) trying to keep some of it cooking faster or slower. I have never used foil on a turkey except to wrap and hold temperature if I let it sit a while after it is done. I also have gotten used to having a slightly tough turkey skin from smoking a little lower than recommended for crispy skin.

I haven't smoked 1 in a long time but getting ready to change that, coat with rub,smoke 2-3 hrs on the pellet smoker as low as it will go, then into a pre heated oven after I put it in a cooking bag,I will run it 50-75 degree hotter than it calls for in the oven. I don't want to dry it out so will have a couple of Inkbird Therms stuck in it

I don't think foil will help with your skin

Ya...normally I’d agree, however having just foiled chicken thighs, the skin came out wonderfully tender. After that experience, then seeing the Franklin vid, I couldn’t help but make the connection.

Last edited:
I remember a few years ago seeing Franklin do turkey breast for his restaurant. If i remember correctly he did Turkey breast, and he would remove the skin. Used salt and pepper for rub, and wrapped at some point with foil and lots of butter. He claimed he was know for his brisket, but his turkey was a lot of customers favorite.

I place a ziploc bag of ice on the breast, and let the rest warm a little of the counter while starting the smoker. This way the breast and dark meat hit 165 at the same time. This keeps the skin from drying out, if that is the reason you are foiling...

I foil the turkey whenever I'm going to pull it for sandwiches. when it comes to temp and rests a bit, I remove the skin, chop it up and then render it down in a cast iron pan until crispy. Then crumble it back in with the meat, sort of like cracklin's. Add some turkey or chicken stock and some more of the rub if you like. It is really good!

Back