MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #12856
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I tried THIS suggestion from SmittyJonz.. It was okay. As thick as a cheap pizza pan but with pre-made holes.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-...t-bottom-grate

Old 10-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #12857
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
nothing wrong with Free. Good thinking sir and thanks for the suggestion
If you saw what I used to cook with, you might change your mind.
I have a deflector for my kettle which I rarely use, made from a wheel disk held together with bailing wire.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #12858
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
If you saw what I used to cook with, you might change your mind.
I have a deflector for my kettle which I rarely use, made from a wheel disk held together with bailing wire.
thats my kinda style
el luchador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 12:52 AM   #12859
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
$500 My cost - BUFORD UDS;

is this a lid that can be bought somewhere?

Old 10-07-2017, 03:52 AM   #12860
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
This is very good information. Thanks. I thought you used the other lid all the time.

when I say controlled leak, I guess I should have said controllable, Ie adjustable. my goal it to have as much intake air as possible to keep a hot fire, but keep cooking temps around the 250-300 range.

my thought was that if I could have something to exhaust an adjustable amount of heat from the drum, just below the meat, I could achieve this.

for example using a big green egg intake.
so it seems like your 1.5" exhausts achieve exactly what I am looking to do.

I think what I'll do is drill 4 1" holes around the drum right under the meat and then use those to control temp as needed and just cover them up with magnets when not needed.

regarding the basket - I don't even plan to have a basket. Im just going to use some expanded steel as a platform for the wood, put some 3" legs on it, and go.

my current basket is 12" high, 17" diameter, 6" off the bottom. way overkill for anything I would ever cook given how efficient the uds is.
Like mentioned, the exh at/just under the cooking grate did not flow well. I do not believe you can have a clean burning fire using those holes as exh.
But give it a try.
Also, straight holes into cookers are affected by wind. One of my reasons for using the elbows.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #12861
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

Latest cook on the UDS. Char Siu according to this recipe :
http://blog.thermoworks.com/2017/09/...ar-Siu-Pork-cs

The recipe uses a PBC but I thought it would be the same.
During

Finished

Plated over rice

Keeping the temps high was easy enough.
I overcooked it just a little. The meat was a bit dry. I should've trusted the therm. Better next time.
OferL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #12862
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Default Eureka! Ive found it!

I was looking for a way to incorporate a weber lid. I saw that some had cut the top 1-2 inches of a donor kettle and just dropped it in the drum.

well, it just so happens that I had a kettle sitting unused -I had used it as a donor for a lid and grates for my first uds.

I was getting ready to cut it and I thought why not just drop the whole thing in the drum?

you get:
an adjustable smoke intake
a heat sink
prewelded tabs for the meat grate
tabs for another diffuser or a second grate for meat

it is essentially perfect- if it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171007_092938.jpg (27.3 KB, 493 views)

Last edited by el luchador; 10-07-2017 at 10:04 AM..

Old 10-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #12863
10miler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OferL View Post
Latest cook on the UDS. Char Siu according to this recipe :
http://blog.thermoworks.com/2017/09/...ar-Siu-Pork-cs

The recipe uses a PBC but I thought it would be the same.
During

Finished

Plated over rice

Keeping the temps high was easy enough.
I overcooked it just a little. The meat was a bit dry. I should've trusted the therm. Better next time.
This looks amazing! A Chinese co-worker told me about char sui, but most restaurants don't have it in my area. I'd love to re-create this on the Weber.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-08-2017, 05:04 AM   #12864
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I was looking for a way to incorporate a weber lid. I saw that some had cut the top 1-2 inches of a donor kettle and just dropped it in the drum.

well, it just so happens that I had a kettle sitting unused -I had used it as a donor for a lid and grates for my first uds.

I was getting ready to cut it and I thought why not just drop the whole thing in the drum?

you get:
an adjustable smoke intake
a heat sink
prewelded tabs for the meat grate
tabs for another diffuser or a second grate for meat

it is essentially perfect- if it works.
It will work for charcoal/wood smoking, but I do not believe you will get/have
enough air flow to keep a pure wood fire burning without problems.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #12865
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
It will work for charcoal/wood smoking, but I do not believe you will get/have
enough air flow to keep a pure wood fire burning without problems.

thank you. I already used it last night. I finished it up minus latch and put it to work.

I kept a roaring fire going by leaving the door partly to mostly open. I left the intake vents fully open and had to add logs about every 30 minutes.

I then added a water pan

oh boy it takes a lot of fuel. I burned through almost a $20 bag of hickory logs

the meat came out tender and delicious and it had the best smoke ring Ive ever seen on my meat.

BUT
even though there was a lot of clean smoke going on.
there was no difference in smoke flavor .
so my conclusion is that a clean burning wood fire burns a lot like a lump fire. clean and not very smoky.

so naturally I will go back to my regular uds since its so much easier and cheaper to cook on.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #12866
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
thank you. I already used it last night. I finished it up minus latch and put it to work.

I kept a roaring fire going by leaving the door partly to mostly open. I left the intake vents fully open and had to add logs about every 30 minutes. Alot of heat escapes with the door open.

I then added a water pan You burn more wood using water.

oh boy it takes a lot of fuel. I burned through almost a $20 bag of hickory logs

the meat came out tender and delicious and it had the best smoke ring Ive ever seen on my meat.

BUT
even though there was a lot of clean smoke going on.
there was no difference in smoke flavor .
so my conclusion is that a clean burning wood fire burns a lot like a lump fire. clean and not very smoky.

so naturally I will go back to my regular uds since its so much easier and cheaper to cook on.
I thought you wanted to cook with pure wood. Cook over a flame, not use a deflector. Burning pure wood takes alot of wood! Lots of time to access, split, stack. It is just part of the process to burn sticks.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #12867
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
I thought you wanted to cook with pure wood. Cook over a flame, not use a deflector. Burning pure wood takes alot of wood! Lots of time to access, split, stack. It is just part of the process to burn sticks.
i did, because I thought it would have more of a smoke profile, but last night it didnt.

This morning after thinking about it a bit more, I am on version 2. taking your suggestion that I need more exhaust, I have removed the kettle. I also drilled 4x 2" holes in the top of the stock lid, and 4x 2" holes around the drum. I now have a latch to close the door and will control the smoke using the holes I made- wide open on top and adjusted on the bottom. I bought the magnet sheets from walmart to close them up.

pictures forthcoming.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #12868
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
is this a lid that can be bought somewhere?
I've purchased the cone top lids form Turner for years, there is some modifications that must be done to make them air tight.

http://www.turnerindustriesinc.com/h...-npt-coupling/
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #12869
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
I've purchased the cone top lids form Turner for years, there is some modifications that must be done to make them air tight.

http://www.turnerindustriesinc.com/h...-npt-coupling/
thanks. that is a heavy duty lid

Old 10-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #12870
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Charcoal Basket

Before I made a new basket for my 10 year old BDS I asked in a POST here and on a welding forum about which direction is easier to roll a strip of expanded metal when forming the basket. I did find the video from Rodney where he recommended rolling in the direction the short way (of the diamond), and most everyone also recommended this direction as well. The "short way" would have the long dimension of the diamond vertical when the finished basket is sitting upright in the normal position of use.

There are plenty of ways to form the basket, like forming it around a post, telephone pole, or a propane bottle.... but I decided on using a 13" diameter cast iron grate. My finished size was 14.5" in diameter. Here is how I did mine:

1. First I pre-formed my strip of expando by hand getting a slight arc in it.
2. Tie the middle of the strip to the grate with wire in two places.
3. Form the strip to the grate and made a new wire attachment every 4".
4. Continue to work the ends of the strip around the grate until both ends are ready to overlap.
5. Insert a bar or big screwdriver through overlapping diamonds on each end, and pull together.
6. Use a large C-clamp to hold both ends together.
7. I needed some slight re-positioning of my diamonds, so I slightly loosened the clamp and pried the diamonds where I wanted them, then tightened the clamp back up.
8. Use at least 2 bolts with washers on the head end and the nut end. (I used 1/2" dia X 1" stainless steel bolts)
9. Remove the clamp and measure for roundness.
10. I was about 3/4" out of round in one area so I used a couple of 2X4's for blocks and forced the cylinder into round.
11. Remove the grate, and check again for roundness.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by thirdeye; 10-09-2017 at 01:13 PM..
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker