MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Default Cracklins

Anyone know if it is possible to make pig cracklins out of jowl? I bought some jowl for ham/bean soup and have all the fat left over. I'd like to try it, but never made it before. Recommendations on how to do that?

B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Whenever I pull pork I separate as much of the fat that I can. I put it in a cast iron put (Dutch oven) over low heat and render the fat out of it. I take what's left and press it between a couple pieces of paper towel to get as much of the lard out of it as I can. (I save lard too. ) A little salt on that and it makes a great snack as long as it's warm enough so that the lard does not solidify.

It's probably not good for me but it sure is good. Takes me back to my childhood when my mom and grandmother used to render lard.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean by crackling.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 AM   #3
Pugi
Full Fledged Farker

I love em. We make them when we make carnitas.

Pugi is offline   Reply With Quote