Beyond Meat Burger Taste Test

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of recent news articles, taste tests and comparisons for these alternatives to meat burgers and other products - Beyond Meat and The Impossible Burger. I wanted to give them a try just to see what all the fuss and hoopla was about and see for myself if they really could be an alternative to a beef burger. So here goes.

I was able to find Beyond Meat burgers at one of my local markets here in New England a few days ago (Hannaford). They're in the frozen case, price wasn't bad at $5.50 for a package of two. Of course, lobster got a front row seat over the weekend vs. plant-based burgers :mrgreen: so today was the day to give these a go. I fired up the Weber kettle and got to work.

The package for those interested -

Sorry it's sideways, the phone camera does that sometimes. Note these are NOT the new and improved version in which the packaging would have a red box in the upper right corner stating so. If I can find those in the next few weeks I'll give them a try.

The burgers after thawing. They do pretty much look like a regular burger -

I seasoned them as I would a beef burger, with a splash of Worcestershire and some Montreal Steak and onto the Weber they went. After about 5 minutes and the first flip on the indirect side of the grill -

Instructions state they're done at 165. After 15-20 minutes in total on the indirect side, they had dripped a bit of "fat" into my drip pan -

And then onto the hot side of the Weber for a direct sear, about a minute per side -

They look pretty darn close to the real thing.

Some plated shots -

Showing the texture -

OK. So how do they taste? Quite good, I'd say. Very close to tasting like a beef burger. They were moist, juicy, texture was good and there wasn't a single thing neither the Mrs nor I disliked about them. We were both very impressed!

I'd most certainly make and serve them again. I have another package from Hannaford and picked up two more packages on sale at $3.99 at Market Basket this afternoon prior to making these.

I'm not going to get into the sustainability and plant vs. cattle discussion since that's all over the internet in various articles. My intent here is to let the Brethren know that you shouldn't be wary of giving these a try. Obviously, this taste test is my opinion but I wanted to let folks know what I thought of Beyond Meat burgers.

These would be a great alternative for vegetarian friends as opposed to serving those soy-based veggie hockey pucks that have been available for a long time. Personally, I'd prefer these over the black bean veggie burgers I've posted in the past. And no, I'm not becoming a vegetarian. :becky:

I've not seen the Impossible Burger for sale in any of the local markets. Some restaurants do carry them. In fact, the local Worcester newspaper ran an article today on how O'Connor's (my favorite Irish restaurant/pub) is serving the Beyond Meat burger on its menu.

That's my take on these. Give them a try - or not. :grin:

Regards,
-lunchman

looks great but sounds nasty. I have cooked those for my wife and daughter but never tried one.

Probably my fault I have no vegetarian/vegan friends.

Thanks for the review. I wouldn't be opposed to trying those now. For anyone interested in them, if you have a Publix nearby, they have them in the freezer section.

Wouldn't bother me to try one, I'm always curious about such things. Besides, the way I see some people build their burgers with piles of mustard, cheese, bacon, onions, pickles, etc., I sometimes wonder how much of the burger itself they even taste the burger under it all.

Interesting, can you list the ingredients that are on the package?

Interesting, can you list the ingredients that are on the package?

Blowing up the photo he posted above

10aaf34538159a8adaee22baef2697ba.jpg

Check those list of ingredients vs. 80/20 ground beef...

I’ll take the beef please!

Not trying to start anything nor am I going to respond, but those have a MUCH larger environmental impact than a pound of ground beef...

You're a brave man lunchman. I try everything but for the life of me I can't do this. Hell, I've even tried tofu. :heh:

Glad you gave it an honest review lunchman, I do have some vegan friends and will cook it for them. Me I like to knock the slobber off a steer's nose and work my way back from there. After seeing the ingredients it's hard to say with a straight face it's good for you.

As an aside I day trade their stock, it's up like a rocket because some analyst says fake meat will be a 100 billion dollar business in 10 years. Go vegans!!!

I would try them, no problem there, did they taste salty?
Low carb and no trans fats:thumb:

Titch, they didn't taste salty at all. And I added a light sprinkle of Montreal Steak.

We were both quite surprised at how decent they were. I've made those frozen soy based veggie burgers for a cookout or two and tried one. All I could say was Blecch! Cardboard tasted better. :razz:

For those tracking Weight Watcher points, these ring in at 8.

-Dom
Taking one for the team

To each their own, but it is a pass for me.

When you eat this, you're effectively getting a giant dose of canola oil (terrible for you) and isolated pea protein with a side of wood fiber, additives, and other unnatural ingredients.

It’s essentially a pea protein and canola oil smoothie.

This is not health food.

David

To each their own, but it is a pass for me.

When you eat this, you're effectively getting a giant dose of canola oil (terrible for you) and isolated pea protein with a side of wood fiber, additives, and other unnatural ingredients.

It’s essentially a pea protein and canola oil smoothie.

This is not health food.

David

This is exactly correctly. Unless you are a vegetarian eating 80/20 beef is actually healthier for you. Reference nutrition for 80/20 beef: https://www.nutritionvalue.org/Beef%2C_raw%2C_80%25_lean_meat_%252F_20%25_fat%2C_ground_nutritional_value.html

If you want to get even healthier go with a 90/10 grade of beef.

Back