• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need some ideas for outdoor open fire cooking pits/setups/contraptions

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
After redoing our patio last year, our backyard is in a rough shape. We were planning on redoing it later this year but have thought about keeping it sorta rough and grow wild flowers etc. While discussing this, I mentioned to LadyRiffenstein that I'd like to do some open fire pit thingy. Much to my surprise she was all for it and said we should do it :wacko: :icon_smile_tongue:

I've been toying with doing a (suckling) pig on a cinder block pit so I'd need a space for that as well as somewhere to burn wood (burn barrel or so). But I need some more ideas.

So, if you could do this in your backyard, what would you do/build/set up? I'm going to re-watch some Man Fire Food episodes as I remember a bunch of killer setups but I want your ideas/videos etc.

If I were going to do live fire cooking I think I’d have to go with a Santa Maria grill, because the grate height is easily adjustable during the cook.

id love to have something like this, but not at $2300

mallmann_grill_context.jpg

If you're handy or know someone who is they can help with some of the gadgets.

My firepit area.

Firepit.jpg

Old camper jack turned into a cooking rack by my dad.

Firepit-stand.jpg

He also made a couple stands that can be used to hold a cooking stick. Made with heavier gauge steel, they could straddle the pit.

Firepit-holder-1.jpg

Firepit-holder.jpg

I have a cinder block pit, and I've enjoyed exploring other ways to incorporate the cinder blocks into cooking. For example, I created a small fire pit where I could hang some yard birds in front of the fire. But, if you're ready to go full steam ahead - I'm always envious of the Santa Maria grills.

I am restricted by space and found the Santa Maria pit with wheels to be a good compromise for what I wanted. I had mine fabricated at Old Pioneer Manufacturing but someone with ability could make something similar.

Attachments

• 78371BB3-DA1D-4DD3-808F-02A277D0C934.jpg
    78371BB3-DA1D-4DD3-808F-02A277D0C934.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 278
  • EC85CBFF-3A3A-4B59-88B4-430F23991300.jpg
    EC85CBFF-3A3A-4B59-88B4-430F23991300.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 276
If it were me I would send Jeanie "Cowgirl" a round trip plane ticket and while she is there she can help you build a Smokehouse, fire pit, hog cooker and anything else you night desire, just make sure you allow time so she can do some sightseeing.:razz:

Back