MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #16
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Find some family photos from the 1930’s and earlier. Guessing the fam are all going to be on the slim side. Consequence is no coincidence.
Eat like they did.
They worked long hours at more physical jobs and still couldn’t afford excess food. Not applicable to most of us today.

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #17
Jbowie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe Bowie
Default Beer and carbs

I'd like to see a show of hands, starting with mine, of the people who do no sauce and change their rub but continue to slam down those rotgut beers. I have reined my ketosis a bunch of times with just one beer..

Old 06-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #18
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbowie View Post
I'd like to see a show of hands, starting with mine, of the people who do no sauce and change their rub but continue to slam down those rotgut beers. I have reined my ketosis a bunch of times with just one beer..
I love beer but think I have had 4 in the last 10 months. Bourbon on the other hand is carb free. I have cut way back on it too though.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #19
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I'm not keto just minimize carbs but I'm Guilty...

Old 06-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #20
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Depending on what you drink, a single beer probably has between 5 and 15g of carbs. It might pull you out of ketosis until your body burns off the alcohol and carbs from the beer but it shouldnt derail you and make you go through induction again*

I also used keto sticks to measure the effect of whiskey on ketosis. Itll stop the ketones while my body processes the alcohol but the next morning I am right back at it with purple sticks. Would it be better if I hadnt? Technically yes. But not the end of the world either.

As the screen name indicates, I like beer a lot so....I always return to my old ways

*obviously YMMV

Old 06-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #21
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

The problem with Nutrition Facts and barbecue rub is that when the rub is applied to the external surface of a protein, then cooked (grilled, smoked, fried, etc), there is no accurate way to measure exactly what percentage of the original external seasoning application remains. But, you can guarantee that a significant amount of the rub applied is lost during the cooking process. Sugars/salts dissolve and drip off, meat juices pushed to the surface drive seasonings off, sugars caramelize and degrade into other compounds not readily converted to blood sugar in the body, etc, etc... So, counting calories based on the nutrition facts is very difficult to do accurately.

This is a different story if the rub is used as an ingredient inside something like pit beans for example. In that situation, none of the ingredients are likely lost during the cooking process and their exact contribution can be calculated accurately.

That said, if a rub was 100% sugar it would only contribute 4.2 grams of net carbs per teaspoon. But then it wouldn't be a bbq rub, it would just be, well... sugar.

Obviously, barbecue rubs are mixtures of salt, sugar, dried vegetables, herbs, spices and sometimes "other" ingredients. Suffice to say, they're not just all sugar. So, even the super-sweet rubs probably aren't much more than 50% sugar, on average, give or take a few %'s. So, now you're only looking at realistically no more than around 2.1 grams of net carbs per teaspoon *before cooking* on the high end.

A full teaspoon of rub is actually quite a bit of rub. It goes a lot further than you'd think. So, when you break that down to individual portions of seasoned cooked protein, it is not at all unlikely that a couple slices of brisket or a chicken thigh have around 1/4 teaspoon of rub on it, which would only contribute a negligable amount of net carbs to one's diet (if using one of the more sweet rubs *before cooking* in the firs place....) and which is also why FDA food labeling guidelines stipulate a 1/4 tsp as the standard measure for food seasoning nutrition fact labeling.

What's the bottom line? I really don't think an average amount of bbq rub applied to the exterior a protein cooked for any length of time on a grill, smoker or flattop, contributes enough to a Keto diet's net carbs to worry that much about.

However, we still have you covered if you're not convinced. The following Oakridge BBQ rubs have very little added sugar:
  • Santa Maria Grill Seasoning
  • Carne Crosta Steakhouse Rub
  • SPOGOS

Hope this helps.

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle

Last edited by kcmike; 06-12-2019 at 05:20 PM..
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #22
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Miller lite has 3 carbs. I still incorporate beer into my diet plan.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #23
akoda
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Hand up

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Weber 18
Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Gasser
Superfast Red Thermopen

Old Church, Va
akoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #24
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Sides are the problem, not so much the meat.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #25
2xal
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Alex

Quote:
My hand is up too. But I will say cutting back on the excess in other parts of life (coffee, refined sugars, sweets, and general crap) plus a regular cardio workout regimen, I’ve lost 60 lbs in 13 months. I still BBQ just about every weekend, but eat a TON of vegetables. I wanted to be healthier (both for me and as a role model to my kids) but still have some guilty pleasures like beer and BBQ.
2xal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #26
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Vegetarians may live longer but when they die, they do so with a bad taste in their mouths.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 10:12 PM   #27
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Just started Keto a little over a week ago and all my Oakridge rubs are sitting unused since they all have sugar in it. I've just been going with a simple, homemade SPOG.

I've done a brisket and chicken thighs on the PBC. Did steaks, bacon, cheddar smashburgers and a ton of thighs with a bunch of onions/peppers on the Blackstone so far. The eating has been pretty good.
There's no real problem with the Oakridge Rubs. The sugar is negligible as Mike and others have said when you consider that the amount you use is spread over the entire meat surface. Of course if you drown your ribs in a sugary sauce as well, then you have issues but in general a rub alone will not contribute enough carbs to knock you out of Keto if that's where you really want to be. What you have to regulate (read "eliminate") is the bread, potatoes, corn, pasta and legumes that you will have as sides. Swap those out for fresh salads and salsas for the summer or grilled veggies in winter and you can eat as much BBQ as you like!

I lost 66 pounds in under 12 months doing this. I'm below my target weight and feel fantastic.

Cheers!

Last edited by SmokinAussie; 06-13-2019 at 10:17 PM..
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #28
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

I went sort of low carb almost a year ago. No pasta, bread, rice, tortillas, potatoes, etc. as suggested above. I was already was pretty much low sugar. But I CHEAT on the weekends! Was able to lose 25 pounds (all I wanted or needed to lose) and have been able to maintain that just with no carbs during the week and little carbs on the weekends. Kudos to you RonL! And good luck to the OP!