MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Default Finger-lickin' judges

As KCBS reminds judges, BBQ is finger food. Some reps do a good job of reminding people not to lick their fingers; others don't say a word. Personally, I find the idea of someone licking their fingers and then reaching into a box to grab a piece unsanitary. That being said, what's your take on judges who lick their fingers? And how could we handle this better at comps?

Old 05-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Every time I've judge there have have been sanitary wipes on each table and every judge has wiped down their hands between each box...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Every time I've judge there have have been sanitary wipes on each table and every judge has wiped down their hands between each box...
Just what do you mean by "sanitary wipes"? Most that I've seen have a scent to them or leave something on your hands and we usually can't use them. Lots of times, tho, a contest will provide damp washcloths to be used between rounds, and those often work...some judges bring those with them as well.

I remember the first contest I ever judged, where one person "showing me the ropes" sneezed, wiped his hand on his pants, and then with that same hand, reached into a box of pulled pork to show me about how much to take! I tried to politely contain my revulsion at that and asked "don't they give you utensils to make it easier to get a taste of the food?" to which he replied, "Nah, BBQ is a finger food!". I've been kinda leery of that phrase ever since...

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Bentley
Babbling Farker

How is me licking my fingers and picking up a piece of meat that only I am going to eat going to effect another judge?
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenernator View Post
As KCBS reminds judges, BBQ is finger food. Some reps do a good job of reminding people not to lick their fingers; others don't say a word. Personally, I find the idea of someone licking their fingers and then reaching into a box to grab a piece unsanitary. That being said, what's your take on judges who lick their fingers? And how could we handle this better at comps?
your also putting a lot a faith in all the cooks regarding use of clean hands, knives etc. I'm sure most do a good job, or try to but I've seen some things in the past that would make more than a few cringe. I've seen prep tables and cutting boards that were practically black from built up dirt.

Lots of people out their taste testing their sauces with their finger or spoon and then keep on mixing.

How many cooks use the porta-potties where hand sanitizer is not available or the wash basin is out of water or soap and go back to their site and jump right into something..

etc... etc.. etc.

Scary stuff.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
You got to be freakin kidding me!

Old 05-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmholler View Post
Just what do you mean by "sanitary wipes"? Most that I've seen have a scent to them or leave something on your hands and we usually can't use them. Lots of times, tho, a contest will provide damp washcloths to be used between rounds, and those often work...some judges bring those with them as well.

I remember the first contest I ever judged, where one person "showing me the ropes" sneezed, wiped his hand on his pants, and then with that same hand, reached into a box of pulled pork to show me about how much to take! I tried to politely contain my revulsion at that and asked "don't they give you utensils to make it easier to get a taste of the food?" to which he replied, "Nah, BBQ is a finger food!". I've been kinda leery of that phrase ever since...

Lynn H.
Unscented hand wipes are quite common...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
How is me licking my fingers and picking up a piece of meat that only I am going to eat going to effect another judge?
In theory, not at all. But I've seen plenty of people who aren't judicious in only touching one piece of meat. Everything they touch with the same fingers they licked could communicate disease. The warmth and moisture of a box already makes it bacteria friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
You got to be freakin kidding me!
Uh, no.

I'll readily admit that licking your fingers is the quickest and most efficient way to clean them off. It's not the best, however, in a group setting. I'm there to get good Q, not good and sick.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Unscented hand wipes are quite common...
Have you ever had the misfortune of licking your fingers after wiping them with one of those? Yuck!

Usually, about all I have time to do between boxes is wipe my fingers on a paper towel or napkin - then once that round is over, I can hopefully find a sink with running water to get the sauce out from under my fingernails.

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
In theory, not at all. But I've seen plenty of people who aren't judicious in only touching one piece of meat. Everything they touch with the same fingers they licked could communicate disease. The warmth and moisture of a box already makes it bacteria friendly.

Uh, no.

I'll readily admit that licking your fingers is the quickest and most efficient way to clean them off. It's not the best, however, in a group setting. I'm there to get good Q, not good and sick.

You may want to consider an alternative hobby.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Arlin_MacRae

OK, this kinda hits a nerve with me.

Let me say something about antibodies.

You know the people the folks who are constantly sanitizing everything? I believe they're doing more harm than good. They're not giving the body what it needs to keep us healthy - the chance to get sick once in a while. If you have no antibodies you're going to get waylaid everytime you forget to wipe a doorknob before you open it, and a kid in today's world who can't fight infection is going to be in a world of hurt.

My advice? Quit worrying, take your lumps, and be healthier.

/RANT OFF

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
OK, this kinda hits a nerve with me.

Let me say something about antibodies.

You know the people the folks who are constantly sanitizing everything? I believe they're doing more harm than good. They're not giving the body what it needs to keep us healthy - the chance to get sick once in a while. If you have no antibodies you're going to get waylaid everytime you forget to wipe a doorknob before you open it, and a kid in today's world who can't fight infection is going to be in a world of hurt.

My advice? Quit worrying, take your lumps, and be healthier.

/RANT OFF

Arlin
Here, here.....I'm all for being as sanitary as possible, but there is only so much you can do. The human race as survived and thrived in much worse conditions and continues to expand in population. Just do what you can and politely refuse something you consider unsanitary. Good smokin' luck!

Old 05-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I do agree with what both Arlin and Vinny have said, I have seen some judges that might make me think twice about eating at their house and am glad I don't have to reach into a box after them. All the sanitzer wipes in the world wouldn't get the crud out from under some of their fingernails.......

I think it may just be an occupational hazard of judging.....

If that sceaves you out, by all means don't walk through the competitors area and take a hard look at some of the things going on there.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Don't ever go to a grocery store produce section and watch how many people lick their fingers to help open those flimsy plastic bags, then pick over the produce with those fingers.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

I just took the table captain class, and this was brought up. It is suggested that we do it as a gentle reminder.

A judge that I know, takes her a few napkins, and then takes her water bottle at wets the napkins and uses that to wipe her fingers with after each "sample", then dries them with a dry napkin. I thought that was a great idea.....
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote