Smoked Sausage and Jalapeno Mac-n-Cheese(w pron)

BBQinMI

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Going back to my childhood one of my favorite comfort meals was polish sausage in a box of kraft mac-n-cheese. Seeing how this weeks throwdown is a tubesteak throwdown, I settled on making a gourmet version of my childhood favorite

Here is the cast of character

DSCF1002.jpg

You have macaroni noodles, jalapeno, onion, my favorite smoked sausage, gruyere, extra sharp cheddar, and some parmesan

The sausages went on the Akorn to warm through and get a little bit more smoke on them

DSCF1006.jpg

While they warmed through it was time to boil the pasta. You want the pasta extra al dente as it will also get baked later on. It was also time to make a nice smooth cheese sauce. The secret to my cheese sauce is adding an egg in

DSCF1004.jpg
DSCF1007-1.jpg

Then I pulled off the sausages to slice up.

DSCF1009-2.jpg

It was now time to saute the onions and jalapenos. After a few minutes the sausage would be added in to get some crust on the outside of them

DSCF1012.jpg

After the sausage caramelized, it was time to add the pasta and cheese sauce

DSCF1013.jpg

Then some more cheddar was thrown on top and it is now in the Akorn heating through.

DSCF1016.jpg

Looking good so far! My mom used to make something similar with leftover ham, in the oven of course. I can only imagine how good it's gonna be with a little smoke added.

Looking good so far! My mom used to make something similar with leftover ham, in the oven of course. I can only imagine how good it's gonna be with a little smoke added.

Yeah the child hood version was always made in the oven. I haven't had this meal in years so I am excited. If it was not for the tubesteak throwdown, this idea would have probably never crossed my mind. That is reason enough to do the throwdowns, win or lose

I'd make sweet love to that dish right there...there ain't a single ingredient I don't love.

Woke up this morning thinking there was some left for me to take for lunch... turns out my wife took some for her lunch and my daughter(4) wanted to take the rest for her lunch at daycare

I guess it must have been a hit

Back