MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Subzerogriller
Full Fledged Farker

Default BGE Advice

I'm entered in a small local comp this Saturday. Just a small rib cook-off, about 20 teams or so. The catch: it's hosted by a pool/spa/outdoor equipment retailer, and you have to use their BGE's for the cook. Kind of excited about the prospect, but wondering if any of you BGE owners can give me some advice on techniques and whatnot. From what I understand, they work similarly to WSM's in that it's mainly vent controlled, but I'm curious if cook times are typically shorter, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
[COLOR=Blue][B]Proud to be supporting our troops: Limited Edition Supahfast Thermapen with US Flag[/B][/COLOR]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Joined my first TD, and dove headfirst into the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero's Club.[/URL]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Come [/COLOR][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]to the Dark Side![/COLOR] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][SIZE=2]Join a Throwdown![/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]
[/FONT][/SIZE]
Subzerogriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Its all the same time and temperature. It's the cook not the cooker! Good luck!
Jed

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yeah I control my Egg with the bottom vent just like my WSM. I find the Egg is even easier to lock and hold temp. Say I want to cook at 250 I will have the bottom vent wide open to about 200 then close it till it is only about an inch open and then watch it climb up slowly and then keep nudging it closed as the temp gets closer to 250. The bottom vent may only be open a quarter of an inch or so once locked in. I have the XL so the mileage may vary on another size, but you get the idea.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
teej
On the road to being a farker

I've never cooked on a egg, but if it's anything like other Kamado's, bring it up to temp slow and don't overshoot. It's a whole lot easier to raise the temp than to lower it.
teej is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If the temps get up to high on you just keep an eye on the edges of the ribs where the plate setter ends. They can get a little over done on the tips that way.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

you will have zero problems IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouth View Post
when you get the daisy wheel set, if you orient it this way, it won't move everytime you open your egg.....

top view

back view with lid open

front view

line the screws up from front to back.

Last edited by deepsouth; 05-09-2013 at 04:18 PM..
deepsouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Teltum

General Kamado information:
+1 on don't over shoot your target temp.
Don't use lighter fluid.
I find controling with the top vent is easier and allows for the smoke to exit get fresh smoke in (plus it is a little easier for fine tuning).
Bring a large pizza pan (cheap) and a drip pan (cheap will work), heat diffusior and a drip pan, if the squeezins ignite you can't get the temps lowered back down quickly.
Bring your pit probe to make sure of where you are at (sure they are egg bi-metal, but they are still bi-metal).

There are a few dedicated groups dedicated explicitly to kamados. The most important thing you should know is starting and getting the cooker to temp. I own a kamado, I watch the thing like a hawk when it is starting for a smoke and my kamado can take 30+ to come up to temp. After that I ignore it and go watch tv or what ever while the meat cooks and my ET732 tells me it's time to pull it.

Now. If you nod off and someone opens your dampners, burp the cooker as you open it. Kamados can reach 1000 degrees plus, if you do not burp properly at high temps there can be a flashback.

All the really basic stuff a person may want to know about a kamado cooker.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Subzerogriller
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the help, guys. I was planning on a drip pan filled with water to double as the heat diffuser. Is this a good idea or bad?
[COLOR=Blue][B]Proud to be supporting our troops: Limited Edition Supahfast Thermapen with US Flag[/B][/COLOR]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Joined my first TD, and dove headfirst into the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero's Club.[/URL]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Come [/COLOR][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]to the Dark Side![/COLOR] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][SIZE=2]Join a Throwdown![/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Plaid Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzerogriller View Post
Thanks for the help, guys. I was planning on a drip pan filled with water to double as the heat diffuser. Is this a good idea or bad?
To be honest with you on all of my Kamado Joe cooking I have never needed a water pan for anything more than to keep things less messy. No water needed in the pan.

Do you have a pizza stone? That would be a great diffuser.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Water pan not necessary if you have the platesetter in there IMO.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Subzerogriller
Full Fledged Farker

I believe they will have the platesetters, so maybe I don't need to worry about the water pan at all...just a drip pan to make things easier to clean up, I guess?
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 05-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Plaid Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzerogriller View Post
I believe they will have the platesetters, so maybe I don't need to worry about the water pan at all...just a drip pan to make things easier to clean up, I guess?
I don't know anything about comp cooks but I would almost assume so. Even a drip pan isn't necessary as the plate setter will clean itself during the next cook.

Either way if you have a pizza stone or something else that you can use as a deflector I might bring it just in case.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
Sierraslick
Found some matches.

I find that if you slowly bring the temp up slightly over your target, let it stay there and then lower it to the desired temp, it locks on to that temp better. Example, if you want 275 ease it up to 300, leave it there for 10 minutes and then tune it back to 275. It will lock in there for the whole cook

Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Inspite of all the great feedback with relation to the need for a water pan, I use one religiously. The BGE and my Vision Kamado ceramic cookers claim that they are not necessary due to the design and composition of the egg shaped pit and the tightness of their seal. I have found, in my experience, that the water pan contributes to a more even heat distribution throughout the cook cycle. There are many here that will dispute this, and to each his own. Once I found the right combination of fuel types, venting, and learned to let the cooker settle into her own, I had it licked. As in finger lickin' good!

I wish you only the best, as IMHO it's a challenge to cook on an unknown cooker. Be patient and listen to the previous posts. These ceramic cooker are hard to bring back down in temp. But on the other hand, don't be afraid to kick her into gear at the beginning.

Jed

Old 05-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would see if I can get some more info on which size egg you'll be using and if you'll have a platesetter or not.

I just load up the lump, light a couple spots with a torch or lighter cubes and throw a couple of chunks on the lit areas, the egg is usually just about the right temp by the time I get thin blue.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote