MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pork Belly Question

I'm hoping for a little advice here today. I have two pork bellies curing right now. This will be day six and when I get home from work tonight I plan on moving on to the next stage of the process. I'm somewhat concerned that there is no liquid in one of the bags (3#belly) and the other belly (3.5#) only has a tbs worth of liquid in it. I used the food saver to bag them and left some air in there and now I'm wondering if that was a good idea. I used the correct amount of TQ in each bag, but the no liquid thing is bothering me. Do I have an actual concern here or am I making something out of nothing? Is there anything I should be looking for when I pull these out this evening to ensure I'm not going to make people sick? Can you guess this is my first time working with pork bellies? Thanks everyone for any advice you can give me and a special thanks to ThirdEye for the write up that made me decide to go for it in the first place.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

As long as you followed the instructions and used the proper amount of TQ then you should be good. Your cured product should be firm to the touch; I have switched from TQ to pink salt/kosher salt for curing and sometimes don't see a lot of liquid in the bag, but it hasn't affected the curing or quality of the finished product.

Not sure if ThirdEye advises a post-cure soak, but I'd recommend 2 hours with a change of water after the first. Cook up a few pieces at different stages of the soak to check the salt level. Allow time to air dry before you toss it on the smoker...you should be good to go!
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest [B]Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow[/B] thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

I've had that happen too. Belly was fine, smoked up well and tasted great. I do tend to use Ziploc bags for ease of access. If you used the right amount of cure and a decent salt/sugar ratio, not much to worry about.

Note: FatWoody has it on the head. I changed to PP#1 and my own salt/sugar. TQ is fine except the sodium nitrate worried me and it cost too much to ship over the Pacific Ocean.

I do a soak and occasionally but not always cook a test sliver before smoking. Soak is 1 or 2 hours, change the water once then test. Sometimes I'm lazy since I'm getting a feel for how salty I expect it to be. I soak more if I have to leave in the cure longer for some reason.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

What they said.

I take do it a little different on the soak though. I soak for 4 hours in either apple cider or peach juice just to give it another layer of flavor. Definately do the air dry on a rack over night before smoking. It gives a much better texture to the outer meat IMO. Skipping this step can result in a slightly slimy texture to the meat.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone. I plan on the soak this evening and then air drying over night in the frig, was just concerned about the lack of liquid.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlane View Post
I'm hoping for a little advice here today. I have two pork bellies curing right now. This will be day six and when I get home from work tonight I plan on moving on to the next stage of the process. I'm somewhat concerned that there is no liquid in one of the bags (3#belly) and the other belly (3.5#) only has a tbs worth of liquid in it. I used the food saver to bag them and left some air in there and now I'm wondering if that was a good idea. I used the correct amount of TQ in each bag, but the no liquid thing is bothering me. Do I have an actual concern here or am I making something out of nothing? Is there anything I should be looking for when I pull these out this evening to ensure I'm not going to make people sick? Can you guess this is my first time working with pork bellies? Thanks everyone for any advice you can give me and a special thanks to ThirdEye for the write up that made me decide to go for it in the first place.
I need to point out that how-to was written by my friend Lynne.... and it's a good one. Not only does it produce good results, it uses TQ which is an excellent choice for home curing.

I think you got all the right answers, which are.... don't worry about the amount of liquid that is or is not in the bag. And as far as food safety, if there is a problem your nose will tell you the instant you cut open the bag. For what it's worth I have never had any cured products go sour, but I did leave a fresh belly in the fridge about 2 days too long one time and it turned on me.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks thirdeye, that was the answer I was looking for. If something has gone awry I should know straight away. That alleviates my anxiety.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I need to point out that how-to was written by my friend Lynne.... and it's a good one. Not only does it produce good results, it uses TQ which is an excellent choice for home curing.

I think you got all the right answers, which are.... don't worry about the amount of liquid that is or is not in the bag. And as far as food safety, if there is a problem your nose will tell you the instant you cut open the bag. For what it's worth I have never had any cured products go sour, but I did leave a fresh belly in the fridge about 2 days too long one time and it turned on me.
If I may piggy back on the highlighted statement.

Prior to curing, it isn't uncommon to open a package of fresh meat that has been cryoed and get a bit of a sulfer or off smell when first opened. When meat has spoiled, you will know because it will smell sour and it won't go away after it's been rinsed off. Pork will also have a greyish, off color to it when it turns. Beef will start to turn a brownish color.

If it'still pink in color and smells fine after it rinsed, you should be good to go. If the smell is still there after you rinse it and let it sit for a few minutes, err on the side of caution and toss it.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Last edited by CarolinaQue; 08-17-2012 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
If I may piggy back on the highlighted statement.

Prior to curing, it isn't uncommon to open a package of fresh meat that has been cryoed and get a bit of a sulfer or off smell when first opened. When meat has spoiled, you will know because it will smell sour and it won't go away after it's been rinsed off. Pork will also have a greyish, off color to it when it turns. Beef will start to turn a brownish color.

If it'still pink in color and smells fine after it rinsed, you should be good to go. If the smell is still there after you rinse it and let it sit for a few minutes, err on the side of caution and toss it.
Spot on advice. But before tossing anything make sure you clip the label and locate the receipt. I've never actually returned any actual meat, the label and my word is enough.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I actually did take a tri-tip, meat and all back to a Trader Joe's once. It was in a ziploc bag and they could smell it through it. It was a shame to say the least.

- Beautiful family

Tags
bacon, pork bellies