Forgive me brothers, for I have sinned...

fat_bastard

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It has been entirely too long since I have regularly smoked any meat. I have this year only done 2 pork butts (tasty though) and barely did anything at all last year. I miss being able to go outside and tend to the smoker and make sure that everything is where it should be. and the wonderful aroma that my smoker puts out.

That said, I'm thinking that I may have to make a Costco run tomorrow. I've never done a brisket and I've been REALLY wanting to try it. Our local PBS has recently gotten the BBQ by Franklin series and it's got me craving brisket. The problem is that our Costco only sells the brisket flat, would that be an ok piece to start with? I'm thinking of just some kosher salt and black pepper and mesquite chunks on the fire. I've got some Cowboy Lump to burn.

I too have been away from the fire longer than I wanted too. I just moved up from Texas to Washington and just last week my Webber arrived with my other household goods. I purchased a gas grill, but it doesn't do well when smoking meats. I've read most of Aaron's book and it's great! Go for the flat, it's better than nothing. I don't know how much it is there, but here in WA the cost of brisket is almost $5.00 a pound. Last week in Texas I saw brisket for about $3.50 a pound. Smoking any meat is better than not smoking at all IMO.

You picked a good time to get back into it what with Football starting next weekend and LSU poised to spank those pesky Alabama teams. ;D

I'm with you on that. I did my first real smoke of the year this past weekend after picking up a WSM. My wife says I should do it more often.

It has been entirely too long since I have regularly smoked any meat. I have this year only done 2 pork butts (tasty though) and barely did anything at all last year. I miss being able to go outside and tend to the smoker and make sure that everything is where it should be. and the wonderful aroma that my smoker puts out.

That said, I'm thinking that I may have to make a Costco run tomorrow. I've never done a brisket and I've been REALLY wanting to try it. Our local PBS has recently gotten the BBQ by Franklin series and it's got me craving brisket. The problem is that our Costco only sells the brisket flat, would that be an ok piece to start with? I'm thinking of just some kosher salt and black pepper and mesquite chunks on the fire. I've got some Cowboy Lump to burn.
Forgive me brothers, for I have sinned.
Your sins are forgiven my son, go and sin no more
Say 2 BluDawg Briskets, & 1 Rules for BBQ Success
BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB h

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

I too have been slacking on my smoke game over the last year. Some might say my 3 month old son has something to do with it, while others may say that I have simply lost all confidence in the local meat suppliers. Be that as it may, I just joined Costco last week, and will be rocking out some brisket on Sunday. Behold fellow meat lovers, I have come back to the bark-side, and I plan on staying this time.

Check Smart and Final...if you have one in your area. They usually carry whole packers...reasonably priced.

I will be smoking my first brisket as well today. And like you, it was right after watching the Aaron Franklin series and reading his book. I gotta say, he's really good at giving people courage to try brisket. Despite the fact that he's spent years perfecting his craft and tweaking things, he comes across so calm when he goes through his process it makes me so comfortable that I'm just like "yeah, I can do that." Of course, I will probably destroy my brisket tonight, but I'm going to do it any way. Experience will make me better. I'm sure that he's the reason everyone is buying pink butcher paper too.

Check Smart and Final...if you have one in your area. They usually carry whole packers...reasonably priced.

Never heard of either. Pretty much every brisket I have been lucky enough to find has been at least $7.99/lb around here. Just joined Costco last weekend and they have choice flats for $5.29/lb. I'm happy with that.

I was gonna suggest the Bludawg brisket too. I started on that, and haven't deviated much since!

I don't like smoking flats as well as whole packers, but it should be fine. I'd get one of the bigger ones you see.

Thanks for the tips and the encouragement guys. I'm going to try the Bludawg method but I'm going to need to find some butcher paper, I've never seen any at Costco.

Back