Catering Etiquette

medic92

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
When we were catering a wedding last night we had several people tell us we should have had business cards set out so people who might be interested in using us in the future could have one. My belief is that the caterers should be "background noise" so to speak and it's about the couple getting married rather than a marketing opportunity for us. I had cards with me and gave them out if someone asked, but I'm curious if it's a normal practice to put a card holder/menu on the table somewhere for people.

Kevin I don't think a small classy business card holder placed in a non-in your face manner would be fine. End of your buffet table between chafers etc....this would allow a potential customer to gather your info without distraction. Just my $.02.

If I was there and wanted your service I would ask.
I would not put out Cards unless the Bride approved it.
#Its Her day,not your time to drum up Business.
Just my take on it and its nice that you queried .
Shows you have good Character.
Be in mind I am down here and as Bill mentioned may be totally fine in your neck of the woods

We were told when I studied catering and buffet service that advertising, ie. business cards,menus out etc. at a private function was a no-no. They have paid you for your service and you are there to provide that service and basically stay behind the scenes, it was acceptable to have cards in your pocket and if you were approached to discretely hand one to the person and to say please call me and I would be glad to discuss what I can offer, do not discuss it there as you are doing a job, and you would be taking time away from the service that you are being paid to provide. I always remembered them saying that it was not like no one knew who you were, the party that hired you has your contact information and everyone there was an invited guest and could get your information by making a phone call to who you were contracted to.

It was also made clear that if we were paying to be set up. ie. vending food at a street festival to definitely put business cards and menu's out and talk about business all you want. You are on your time and it is yours to spend how you want.

I agree with everyone if that is possible. Situation dependent for sure and getting permission will ensure no one is upset. Kind of neat perspective presented and solid advice as it caused me to revisit my thinking and amend it. Thank you for helping me grow and providing solid advice to Chef Kevin.

I was at a wedding this weekend where the cocktail napkins had the caterers logo/number on it. I was a little put off by it. With the amount of money it costs for a wedding, i was surprised it had that instead of the wedding colors or custom ones with the bride and grooms name. Maybe they didn't want to pay for custom napkins, but still weird they didn't do just a solid color that matched.

We were told when I studied catering and buffet service that advertising, ie. business cards,menus out etc. at a private function was a no-no. They have paid you for your service and you are there to provide that service and basically stay behind the scenes, it was acceptable to have cards in your pocket and if you were approached to discretely hand one to the person and to say please call me and I would be glad to discuss what I can offer, do not discuss it there as you are doing a job, and you would be taking time away from the service that you are being paid to provide. I always remembered them saying that it was not like no one knew who you were, the party that hired you has your contact information and everyone there was an invited guest and could get your information by making a phone call to who you were contracted to.

It was also made clear that if we were paying to be set up. ie. vending food at a street festival to definitely put business cards and menu's out and talk about business all you want. You are on your time and it is yours to spend how you want.

That was basically my take on it as well, thanks for the perspective.

I was at a wedding this weekend where the cocktail napkins had the caterers logo/number on it. I was a little put off by it. With the amount of money it costs for a wedding, i was surprised it had that instead of the wedding colors or custom ones with the bride and grooms name. Maybe they didn't want to pay for custom napkins, but still weird they didn't do just a solid color that matched.

That's just tacky, I can't imagine doing that.

Back